Guest Grifter.

1 blueberry jar (1 week younger than the AR)

1 azure rocket

Hypothesis: odd light schedule, with varying types of lights and time in a window sill will impact size, gender, and length of time for an auto to finish.

Facts: they start the morning outside on the porch.. Roughly 3-5 hrs of direct sun.  They are then brought in and sit in a window sill [opposit side of house] until dark. Next  They rest 4 hrs typically.  Around midnight they are placed on back porch with a porch light left on all night into the morning sunrise where the day begins anew.  Note about back porch light, it is yellow and designed 2 reduce flying insects.  The light is very dim. The light outside is on and off throughout the evening.  Occasionally they are subject to random dark periods [if i have visitors on weekend let's say].  

Other breeder seeds have really struggled.  The majority of runs end up with the plants being male around 80 percent of the time with this current process.  The plants that have undergone this process have shown typically to take much, much longer to reach each stage of the life cycle.  One breeders seeds took 6 weeks to reach preflower.

I have spent a lot of time reading these forums paying particular attn to aridbud and the AT auto team.  I wanted 2 shout out to them that their genetics are spectacular.  The first breeder of AF seeds that keep to their timeline despite grow environment.  I water every other day and never water to runoff.  As a result of the environment  the plants are much smaller (of course)...but still after 3.5 weeks the AR has obvious signs of preflower. Pics coming tonight (i hope] of the environment and plants along with descriptions.

The point of all this?  To find an AF strain that is TOUGH. One that will survive a hectic, inconsistent light that is very DIM and feed/water schedule that is inconsistent.  A plant also that doesn't smell is also a goal.

Preview: although a week younger, the blueberry jar is already STINKING.  THE AR appears to have no smell at all.  Pics 2 come.

Thx for your time and interest.

Grifter.

Guest Grifter.

Pics 1 - 2 are the azure rocket 

Pics 3 - 5 are the blueberry jar.

Last pic is a side by side

AR is 1 week older than the blueberry jar.  Noticeably smaller.  Again i am looking at speed and sex likelihood under stressful environment and smelliness.  I think it's too soon to tell  results and will be interesting to see if they are durable enough to remain female [TBD] and not hermie due to the weak porch light from outside, only 3-5 hrs of direct sunlight, and sitting in a window sill for as many hrs as possible [sporadic amnts sometimes has to go dark until next morning, and the occasional 24 - 48 hrs of random darkness.

Again, the blueberry jar is a week younger, not showing any clear signs of sex, but is very stinky when you lean in close and take a big whiff.  This is problematic for my situation as smell is of high concern.  Essentially,  the blue berry jar days are numbered and won't live long enough to test if the stress will cause it to hermie or if the timeline is drastically increased due to the inconsistent light conditions.

Do we think autos smell worse than photos?

Are there any less smelly AF strains? I know there will be smell with any strain.  It just has to be manageable.   I found the ISP cantaloupe skunk has a pheno that stinks less and was fruit smelling as opposed to skunky.  They couldn't work out though because the lighting schedule/situation  makes it virtually impossible to have something close to 12/12 and most photos i attempted grew too tall.  And training photos just extended the veg period really which sucks for my circumstances.

Pics to follow nightly [or every other night more realistically.

Not really sure how old they are.   I know the azure rocket is a week older.  If i recall correctly on friday it will be 3.5 weeks for the azure auto.

20170824_024320.jpg

20170824_024340.jpg

20170824_024559.jpg

20170824_024612.jpg

20170824_024629.jpg

20170824_023858.jpg

I had the pleasure of growing some Azure Rocket last season in my greenhouse. I got them as freebies with a seed order so was not an intentional purchase.

I saw auto flowers as a novelty or for people wanting to play around with growing on thier apartment balconey or hidden away in a closet. The Azure Rocket changed all that silly thinking for me and actually showed me that auto flowers, crafted by the right breeder, most certainly aren't a novelty plant. While it didn't yield like crazy, it yielded very well for it's size and the smoke was a 10 for it's rich sharp berry flavor and a 8 for it's surprisingly strong potency. I liked it so much , me and Aridbud did a trade haha a bunch of my work for a few packs of his. So I have azure rocket, zesty blue, crave and one other one... blueberry x black domina i think.

gonna follow along as well..... this method you are using to prove the plants out is cool and interesting, thx for sharing

Guest Grifter.

Update 

This weekend will be a great testing period.  They are set for darkness for at least what will essentially be a 48hr period of majority dark time. They may get 7 hours of total light over the next 48 hrs and the 7 or so hrs will be dispersed sporadically.  I took pics for this update to compare to pics to be taken monday/tuesday night.  

More info: 3L pots? Happy Frog fed them both a tiny amount of veg nutes 4 days ago.  Watered today no run off and was underwater past 2 times i bet.

What I'm looking for:  any changes relating to sex.  I'm looking to nail down how much stress the AR can take until it shows changes in nodes or any other abnormalities.  Not due what's going on with the blueberry jar as far as sex goes.  

Odor:

The AR has no smell at all. Nil.  It is also a week older than the BBJ. 

The BBJ has a smell radius of about 3 inches.  If you are within this distance there exists a clear odor.  Not enough to make any obvious or blatant issues.  Doesn't stink up the room where they sit in window sill.  I expect that 2 change in a week or less.

Pic 1 is a profile of both.

Pic 2 is AR top

PIC 3 is a shot from underneath of the AR

Pic 4 same idea as pic 3 of AR

Pic 5 is the AR

Pic 6 is top of BBJ

Pic 7 8 9 all top of BBJ

Next update: i would guess mon/tues night.

20170824_175449.jpg

20170824_172718.jpg

20170824_175329.jpg

20170824_175347.jpg

20170824_174559.jpg

20170824_191842.jpg

20170824_172444.jpg

20170824_172444.jpg

20170824_172121.jpg

On 8/24/2017 at 1:15 AM, Grifter. said:

AR is 1 week older than the blueberry jar.  Noticeably smaller.  Again i am looking at speed and sex likelihood under stressful environment and smelliness.

Yes, those two are different genetics, hence size difference. Out of the two, Azure Rocket, given best conditions, will ripen earlier than Blueberry Jar.

Guest Grifter.

Well i can officially say that there is nothing worse than a summer cold. Past 2 weeks have been snot filled accompanied by a pounding headache and terrible cough.  I'm glad my summer cold has finally passed.

Slight change in plans.  I decided to move the AR and BBJ outside to their new homes bc 2 of my girls set outside by the barn in flower were destroyed by my sister accidentally running over them w riding lawn mower. How sad. She is young and didn't know so all is well.   Tje AR and BBJ will replace those! Harvest pics will be taken later.

I also am rebooting this project.  Super happy with the beans from Afterthought.  Most breeders beans don't last long or really struggle with the tests and fall way off their timeline. I also restarted in an effort to keep better track of the day count.  The last 2 were just guesses. 

I'll be doing another AR again [so far the most sturdy and impressive as far as keeping to the timeline].  Joining the AR will be a Bubbaloo. 

Any ideas for testing? I mean let's really torture these.  I was thinking of simulating a late frost early in the growing season.  For those guerrilla growers that planted too early outdoors.  I have a controlled temp freezer and refrigerator i can put them in for x amount of days or hours.  These popped up on the 1st and appear to be doing ok in the 60 degree weather we have right now.

So any ideas on how we can put these thru the ringer? I wanted 2 wait another week before really abusing them.  I read that @Aridbud felt the jiffy starters were a lil' too acidic and that he didnt like them.  So i figured i would start these both in jiffy cube.  I'd have 2 agree.  These 2 are showing slower development than the last 2.  And these don't look as healthy as the first 2 from afterthought using just happy frog.

This round i mixed 30% ocean floor with 70% happy frog.  

Any ideas to torture them? Freezer? Refrigerator? Pruning?  I'm open to any ideas that don't kill the plants outright. I plan on consistantly under watering them and keeping a very inconsistant light schedule.  

20170901_185439.jpg

20170901_185444.jpg

"Torturing" and stressing autos, you'll likely get runts or kill them. Read up on autoflowering.  Autos thrive in optimal conditions. Stressing them stunts them due to quick ruderalis gene, they won't preform well and have difficulty recovering. Seems like money/time/effort wasted if you want to "test" to see how stressed you can get them. To each their own, I guess. By far, all of our customers grow for optimal smoke.

Archived