auto fun 2017

Tynehead Tom

pretty quiet in this here afterthought autos forum..... maybe this will liven it up some. :)

I grew out a nice female azure rocket last summer in the greenhouse as my first auto experience and due to my climate I am keen on trying them again this summer.

Not sure how may growers here run autoflowers but I'm interested in experiences and suggestions when it comes to a simple but effective organic soil based off sunshine mix #4 as well as pot size ect.

the Afterthought Autos I'll be trying this summer are:

Crave

Azure Rocket

Zesty Blue

Blueberry x Black Domina

last summer the azure rocket was done by 3rd week august if not sooner, which is absolutely ideal for my climate as we hit nighttime temps approaching or below freezing by sept 10 generally.

Ya @Tynehead Tom ,

I haven't seen @aridbud in a while.

He seemed like a cool dude.

Lasttime I saw him was over at Unleash da Green ( a Canadian site ).

He was just signing up as a new contributing member.

I believe his stuff can be found at GLG if not there then RCMC has them for sure.

My auto adventures have been more like trials and tribulations, than successes.

maybe this spring will be better.

I know they like a low-medium feed rate and a moist but not wet soil.

With the first three weeks of their life being critical to a decent yield.

They can get their growth stunted by the cold, wet feet,or too much food.

I have tried auto's from 4 different breeders so far.

With varying degrees of success.

Mostly failures though as every time I try to sprout the seeds outside we get a cold snap that stunts the dam things..AArgh

I hope you have better luck that Ihave had so far.

My suggestion?

Start them indoors in a  near perfect environment.

Grow them for three weeks indoors and then set them outside.

Sprouting them outdoors has been lousy..

Guest Nrthstar

I will be doing a bunch of Afterthought autos again this year.   They are pretty tough lil plants once they get going.     

I only pot once since any stress will stunt them.   I do a hotter mix on the bottom of the pot and around the outer perimeter.   Basicaly use a big solo cup and mold the damp soil around it, pull the cup out and it looks like a mold.  Then place not so hot soil in the imprint of where the cup was.  Gives the plant a lil time to grow untill it hits the hotter soil.     I have grown these in my own home made organic soil mix and also a promix that is similar to sunshine 4 with some added ammendments.   Worm castings, lil molasses, xtra perlite, and a lil Espoma garden tone.      They dont grow very big so they dont need much.  After they reach about 6" ill add very lil fish fert.  Im prob overdoing it but so far so good.  

As far as pot size I wouldnt go any smaller than 2 gallon. I went 2.5 gallon and will prob do 3 gallon this up comming time.       

I think i have some of the same strains as you that ill be doing this year. I will check. Would be nice to share notes. 

cool , this will be fun ;)

still a few months till I can sprout mine but looking forward to it.

I'll probably go sprout into a 1/2 gallon indoors for 3 weeks 20on 4 off and then into 6 gallon and outside by july 1, or maybe 2 to a 18 gallon tote might work well, we'll see.

same basic soil blend as last year along with gypsum, guano, seaweed and fish supplements

I only had one azure rocket female last year but i enjoyed growing it and it was real nice tasty bud. I think the only thing i will do differently is use bigger pots this year. I had it in a 3 gallon and certainly limited it's potential.

• 2 months later...

Okay, it's on ;)

I've got my afterthought auto packs out on the table and gonna throw down 1/2 of each pack for a back yard run.

Will update here as things progress. While I don't usually seek out autoflowering varieties, I'm real excited about these :rasta.nana:

beans all cracked and are potted up . Not gonna be a lot of pics till they are established plants but they are on the go.

5 x Crave , 6 x Azure Rocket, 5 x zesty blue and 5 x blueberry x black domina

I would like documentation please.

pot size, lights used, soil used, any other relevant info.

thanks.

I am really good at stunting autos.. ;-(

I'm starting them in net pots and they will be ran outside.

Gonna mess around with wrapping the net pots in plastic wrap that will keep them moist and allow roots to not dry out like an air pot prunes roots and then once i see the roots working thier way out of the net pot, unwrap and up-pot or go right in the ground.

I am matching daylight hours right now by manually turning my lights on at sunrise and sunset for next 2 weeks.

Still debating my plan to go with pots or direct plant in a large bed i was going to dig out in the back yard in a decent spot.

The bed would be easier as I could then thin the males and not have to deal with a bunch of pots and root balls.

Right now I've mixed 4 bales of sunshine mix 4 , 2x 5 gallon pails of good garden compost from a friend's farm. I've also mixed in 25 lbs of composted sheep and alpaca manure, 10 lbs composted poultry manure , blood meal, bone meal, 4 shovel fulls of sifted campfire ash , a big bucket full of crushed egg shells...... couple other things .... I've got it all on a tarp, covered with another tarp while I ponder what else to add LOL

My local garden supply/feed store seems to only have certain things and certain brands so they must be dealing with a small wholesale supplier list.

I just might have to see about opening a "real" garden suppy store in this little town o mine.

I'm far from an expert on organics, but that seems like a lot of manure. And then blood meal as well. Auto's don't need too much nitrogen.

Hopefully it's well composed, especially the chicken shit. I guess we will find out pretty quick whether it's a good mix. If the seedlings can handle it then you should be good to go.

Best of luck and may all your Buds be Huge.

Peace GG

hmmmm ya I've still got more bales of sunshine to add yet. That mix will go about 3 cups to a 5 gallon pot mixed in well with straight sunshine mix. I still have a few more ingredients to add as well, that list was just off the top of my head. I have 40 or 50 plants to look after so what I've mixed so far is just a base of nutrients. I'm no pro at this so don't do what I do if yer just learning haha

sheep and alpaca is composted 1 year and the chicken manure over 2 years so it's good to go and not so hot.

was thinking more about this ya know. 

Last year I got one female from the 6 pack of azure rocket beans i got as freebies in a seed order from UK. I grew that one in just sunshine mix 4 with the added dolopril. I did give it a feeding of alaska fish emulsion "grow" and then I fed it general hydro flora modified lucas formula once it started flowering, otherwise just well water. It turned out pretty good and was very tasty and potent. Maybe I should just keep things simple and go with what worked last year but this time ensure i don't shock them or stress them.

I dunno. I have a crap load of photoperiod plants to mix soil for so will make some decisions. Organics aren't my strong point but the recipe i'm working off of is one I've used for photoperiod plants with much success over the years.

The K.I.S.S method always works best for me. But nothing wrong with trying new things.

Just keep in mind the auto life cycle. Maybe 30-40 days of veg depending on strain. For the first couple weeks depending on light they can go on pretty much just plain water. So a few more weeks of veg and early flower then you can limit the Nitrogen.

Maybe experiment with a few different mixes and see what works best.

I would try something in the range of 10% manure 40% native soil and 50% sunshine. Maybe amend with more or less sunshine mix if it is to heavy or compact.

Like you said above it is easy to add more nutrients later if needed with a nice water soluble mix. But less is more,so weak feedings more often I think is best.

Also some things like bone meal take time to break down. You can probably get a crop or 2 off before it starts becoming available.

But that pile of crap, no pun intended, is gold if used in correct proportions.

Peace GG

The organic soil I'm building will be for more than just my plants. I need to fill three , 3x6x2ft deep planter boxes for my wifes veggie gardening. I figure if I do a bed for the autos by digging out a large area 2ft deep. I layer drainage rock a few inches and then back fill with whatever organic mix i come up with. If I do the autos in pots , I'll go bottled nutes and straight sunshine mix. We'll see what happens I guess. My yard has a crap load of trees so the ideal location for the garden for sun all day won't work because of the trees. This year I will just have to make do with the spot I have chosen for my greenhouse but there is a nice patch that gets good doses of sun all day with a few shadings throughout the day. That's a good 10ft x 10ft area so is looking like will be home for the autos.

Guest Nrthstar

Have a few good lokking specimens and will post a few pica once back from vacation. Had alooooot of rain lately and things are anything but perfect yet the autos are looking quite well considering.    Actually loooking much better than any photo period i have going at the moment.     Dang over watering at the first stages if life sux and does take its tole, but its still better than getting chomped by a groundhog or deer.  

after much discussion with my friend, we have decided he is going to run my auto flowers over at his farm property. I gotta do some logging to open up some canopy around here so next year I'll have a good spot for the autos. I'm gonna save 1/2 the beans in these packs and run them indoors this winter though ;) 

I'll be over there weekly to check on things so will update here n there.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nrthstar

A Few autos and some Bodhi , and 1 Ninefold Prism Og that the deer didnt get to.    Things are staring to smell so these last few will hit the wilderness shortly. 

20170626_182202.jpg

20170626_182209.jpg

5 hours ago, Words said:

Very cool B| @Nrthstar I love the mixed veggies and autoflower combo. 

Hey @Tynehead Tom anything showing sex yet on your autoflower run?

Not sure man, after much deliberation I decided my yard just doesn't have sufficient and secure sun exposure to make the auto's worth planting. BUT, the beans getting grown this year are at a friends garden , some afterthought and some from a forum member from canada. I'm kinda letting him do his thing and haven't had time to get over there in a couple weeks. When I get a chance I'll see if i can get some pics and info.

Guest Nrthstar

I only had 2 males out of 5 so far but those 2 that turned out males were stressed pretty good.   Skunk,cat,fox or whatever dug them up looking for whatever they thought was buried in the soil.   Hence why they are in one of the veggie gardens at the moment.   They are smelling pretty good actually, very sweet yet stanky.   These are Afterthought autos (name on my marker says (charas) it may be an abreviation im not sure.  I abreviate everything then forget what the abreviation is lol.     Ahh i think charas smile ??     So far so good.           Me Panthera's didnt make it through the rodent parade.   Popping a few more afterthought autos in the next few days also.    Will stop back in on with what i end up going with.      

:ph34r:

Guest MR_E

Sorry new here and still lost,,,,is this a forum or thread for all autos or a specific strain or genetic co.? If so im sry haha I'm trying....  here's is a shot of my sweet mango all seeded up from mephisto genetics male.... 

20170704_130552.jpg

8 hours ago, MR_E said:

Sorry new here and still lost,,,,is this a forum or thread for all autos or a specific strain or genetic co.

Pretty sure this thread was started for Afterthought Autos brotha, @PURPlawd702 started a thread for you to put your work and pics up and I'm sure you will find other threads to post in while you are here, but yeah this thread specifically is for folks growing out Afterthought beans 👍.

Hope this helps!

just catching this discussion....

this particular thread was started by me to chronicle my own auto flower adventures in 2017 by growing some Afterthought Autos seeds.

This thread is intended for anyone growing "Afterthought Auto's" brand seeds as this thread is posted in Afterthought Auto's subform in the Breeders section.

Giving MR_E the benefit of the doubt, there's no reason for anyone to get thier feathers up but I do notice content being posted in the Afterthought Autos subforum that belongs in Strains and Hybrids or perhaps a personal grow thread documenting one's garden.

I don't think it's appropriate to be posting other breeder's gear in the Afterthought Auto's subforum just simply as a matter of respect towards Aridbud and his hard work.

hope that sorts it out and clears up ANY confusion. Any questions or clarifications needed..... message me ;)

Guest MR_E

Yea man makes perfect sense and again no disrespect to @@airbud  at all man im jus really lost and very obviously posted sevral x in wrong places my apologies to everyone man!! Like for real sorry... I'll get the hang of it... Thanks for the benefit of any doubt there maya been buddy... Cheers 👊💪💚

Archived