crownpoodle

That's a big swing.Usualy you want no more than 10 degrees swing.I would be shooting more for 72/74 night temp's.During the day it is important to keep temps no lower than 82 when my plant's get cold under led they show the same sign's your's are.  I would also suggest you give the plant's at least a week in the 3's before 12/12.Just for the lack of stress and setting down some root's asap. @Tynehead Tomgave me his water guide.It is 1/6 of total pot volume.3gl pot=384 ounces devided by 1/6=64 ounces every 2 day's i think you are a little light on water.I alway's throw a good flush in there also just to reset everything.Im not sure how that work's with ammended soil.I get offended easy so if im offending you,just tell me to kick rock's.I will not take offence to that.I understand.I know nothing about home brew soil but it sound's like there would be alot of inconsistncey from one month to the next and batch to batch.Seem's like it just open's you up to unforseen problem's.I have a handheld Bluelab PH pen that work's decent but does need checked more than i would like to check it.It was 100$.If you want a bad ass PH meter/Stir stick the BlueLab Trencheon is the one for ya.https://www.amazon.com/Bluelab-Truncheon-Nutrient-Meter-Germination/dp/B00348PV6S/ref=asc_df_B00348PV6S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=421853584472&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2919709279739279819&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017361&hvtargid=pla-436905547341&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=100037423747&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=421853584472&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2919709279739279819&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017361&hvtargid=pla-436905547341

Here is the handheld

https://www.amazon.com/Bluelab-PENPH-Pen-Plant-Germination/dp/B005POOJHG/ref=asc_df_B005POOJHG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167118301188&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9843611775291639627&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017361&hvtargid=pla-311195096389&psc=1

• Like 4

@oldschool appreciate your time. No you aren't offending me it all. I just see a man cares about his craft. If I offend you, throw the rock back. 

Indoor is relatively new, so I'm sorting lots out. Honestly, indoors Im a covid baby. Re-read my comments and should clarify some, especially the temps. Until it got cold here my low temps were hanging closer to that 10 degree swing. A little less as my summer/fall temps are faitly moderate. Been trying to find a point where my temp swings less. But doesn't fuck with my rh. Not a cash cropper. Really don't hustle at all anymore.  I can grow plenty outside most years. Mold chased me into a tent. Then your pals here keep coming up with strains, timing, etc to get my outdoor performing better too. 

I would love to transplant into 3s and veg for  some amount time. Looking at another 4x4, or 5x5 set up. Then I have the 2x2 for smalls/starts, a 4x for veg and another 4x or 5x  for flower. 

As far as the soil, it may be inconsistent, but so's the new stuff. A young friend works for Roots Organics. He said QC admittedly is not good. Especially now. They get inconsistent raw materials, so do we. Within a lot, there's some consistency. Lot to lot...not so much.

I'd love to buy every high end diagnostic tool available. But then I couldn't afford seeds, or even my water bill. 

My Atonic x Cakefighters,  and my Death Star x RAB are not showing the deficiency. Same everything, used ammended tote of soil included. 

My goal is grow better weed, preferably for less. I am succeeding in that area. I would like to be able to run 3 or 4 strains at a time. I like variety. But not chase some nute issue constantly.  A tweek here and there, fine but much more and then I get tweeked! No good. 

An afterthought here. Not questioning your water use calcs. Thinking how much perlite affects drainage. Or does it matter? Strictly by volume?

Edited by crownpoodle
  • Like 4
7 hours ago, crownpoodle said:

An afterthought here. Not questioning your water use calcs. Thinking how much perlite affects drainage. Or does it matter? Strictly by volume?

That would be a @Tynehead Tomquestion.I put a plastic bag in what ever container im using.Fill it with water to the top.See how much   water that was and divide by 6.That put's me in the ball park of how much water i need.I forgot that you have just a flower tent and a veg tent.I only have one room so i just assume everyone else only has one area.Now i understand why you cant veg in bigger container's.Just trying to help out.I figured @shaggyhad the fert stuff under control for ya.So we had time to look at other variables.You know i have a bunch of seed's i think i might just give away.Just dont have the place or time to pop them.I will post up a list and see if anyone is interested.Well sound's like you have everything under control,so i shall not bother you anymore.

• Like 4
  • Nice Job 1
13 minutes ago, TopShelfTrees said:

Love how helpful you guys are. This place gets better and better all the time. Awesome 

@TopShelfTrees knowledge, and then application of it can be my challenge. Something about "a little bit of knowledge being a dangerous thing", bounces around in my melon.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
43 minutes ago, oldschool said:

That would be a @Tynehead Tomquestion.I put a plastic bag in what ever container im using.Fill it with water to the top.See how much   water that was and divide by 6.That put's me in the ball park of how much water i need.I forgot that you have just a flower tent and a veg tent.I only have one room so i just assume everyone else only has one area.Now i understand why you cant veg in bigger container's.Just trying to help out.I figured @shaggyhad the fert stuff under control for ya.So we had time to look at other variables.You know i have a bunch of seed's i think i might just give away.Just dont have the place or time to pop them.I will post up a list and see if anyone is interested.Well sound's like you have everything under control,so i shall not bother you anymore.

@oldschoolyou're not bothering me a bit. Lot of good info to digest. Under control is another good goal for me. Not just growing. 

Edited by crownpoodle
  • Like 5

My morning  Morro Bay Speedball smoke report brought to you by Trader Joe's Wake Up Blend, and Genus/Generic Strawberry Diesel IBL courtesy of @texasjack

Coffee was so so. 

SD has about a month cure. My documentation has been poor lately, but that's close. No strong smells or taste, but nothing unpleasant. I didn't pick up any strong smells growing. Not overly strong, but pretty long lasting. Been a few hours and I've not spun another one, but I've smoked enough of this batch to know I could smoke all day long. With a nap, for sure. Falls under my general class I call "feel good weed". Not sleepy or narcotic. Not zingy either.  What I grew is good utility weed. Nice. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
16 hours ago, crownpoodle said:

Thinking how much perlite affects drainage. Or does it matter? Strictly by volume?

Our boy Tyne won't be chiming in here anytime soon.........
Drainage is a factor here, but not needed for a proper calculation in this case.

This method should be titrated/adjusted to meet a 2 day dry back cycle.

In other words if your pot is not pretty dam dry in 2-3 days max you are overwatering.
If you can hand water everyday and get proper dry back that would be best.

That is usually only effective in coco, 2 days is real good in peat/dirt with perlite.

So if you dry out in anything but coco, before 2 days you need a bit more water.

If you go longer than 3 days without proper dry back you need less.
Be aware....
Some plants take more some less.
I forgot who said it but lifting or even weighing the pots will tell you whats up inside.
@crownpoodle
Cramming the head full of shit these days, tell the wife to shove some corks in the ears to prevent overspill.......🙊

Edited by shaggy
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I'm out looking around and thinking about outdoors coming up. If I saw those leaves on an outdoor plant? My first response has become snap them off, watch new growth and move on.  Works ok most of the time. My wife found me last year looking at a nute deficiency chart. "Show the weed nerds, someone who doesn't need the chart."   

The GBs today? The only leaves showing much issue are old and low. Still addressing them. 

@shaggy some stuff just hates too much water. Had some MMS Prayer Pupil that looked over-watered for 3 months. Same plant, look at anything with much N? More like talons than claws.

• Like 2

Death Star x RAB @19 days. Not sure why but I just like the structure on this. Topped once. Curious how bud structure will be.

0224221431.thumb.jpg.e73484aa7d642bc4fd66cd1c5f01c687.jpg

@oldschoolJust getting ahead of tomorrow's watering. 

Ph was 8.4, ppm 220. So ph higher ppm lower. Went to verify @oldschool  ph good, ppm...shit...another tester got "damp". I think I have a freshie on hand. 

Also working on keeping lights off temps up.

• Like 1
  • Nice Job 1
7 hours ago, crownpoodle said:

Death Star x RAB @19 days. Not sure why but I just like the structure on this. Topped once. Curious how bud structure will be.

0224221431.thumb.jpg.e73484aa7d642bc4fd66cd1c5f01c687.jpg

@oldschoolJust getting ahead of tomorrow's watering. 

Ph was 8.4, ppm 220. So ph higher ppm lower. Went to verify @oldschool  ph good, ppm...shit...another tester got "damp". I think I have a freshie on hand. 

Also working on keeping lights off temps up.

This plant look's nice.Is this the flower tent? Is your veg room also LED's?You say your mixing and PH'n for tomorrow's watering?

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, oldschool said:

This plant look's nice.Is this the flower tent? Is your veg room also LED's?You say your mixing and PH'n for tomorrow's watering?

@oldschool Morning. All LED. Yes, out of the flower tent.  No pre-mixing. Just checkin' water out of curiosity. I know my incoming ph drifts. 

Edited by crownpoodle
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, crownpoodle said:

The only leaves showing much issue are old and low.

These may never recover, just watch the newer leaves will want to follow suit.
If no more leaves show up looking like that it may be fixed, just wait a week before changing any more stuff.
If more leaves start showing the same old thing, do more of what you have been doing to correct it.

Edited by shaggy
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, oldschool said:

Not sure why but I just like the structure on this.

You may have topped too close to inducing flower, time wise.

Looks like they could have used 1-2 weeks longer after topping before changing the light hours.
Just a guess, but most likely the issue with structure.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, oldschool said:

Ph was 8.4, ppm 220.

Pain in the ass to keep checking but what was runout PPM and PH with this kind of input?
Personally I like to feed no higher than 7.5 PH, generally 7.
Even when trying to raise the acidic soil PH.

I guess if your soil is under 5 PH you could go as high as 8-9 but if a plant is in that pot, it will not be happy.
Try and keep the feed around 7ish so as not to stress the plant too much.

• Like 2

@shaggy have been reading that you should use big pot's when using organic soil.Something about it's easier to keep the soil healthy in a bigger pot.Sound's like a little pot looses steam quickly.

12 minutes ago, shaggy said:

You may have topped too close to inducing flower, time wise.

Looks like they could have used 1-2 weeks longer after topping before changing the light hours.
Just a guess, but most likely the issue with structure.

I alway's topped plant's two week's before flower.Then at day 10 cut off all the stuff that didnt make it to the canopy.Now i simply just pinch the top's no actual removal.Just crush the top in between finger's.This allow's side branching to be increased and not sacrificing the top,nor the amount of branches.I pretty much pinch them 3 times in the veg stage.I usualy end up with 8/10 nice fat top's and then some 5/6 nice secondary branches.Sometimes if the center just want's to start stretching in flower i just pinch it again.But i never remove the top of a plant anymore.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, oldschool said:

@shaggy have been reading that you should use big pot's when using organic soil.Something about it's easier to keep the soil healthy in a bigger pot.Sound's like a little pot looses steam quickly.

This is good advice, that is probably why it is best to do organic in a bed vs a pot.
Each pot is its own ecosystem, mini soil web.
Hats off to the pure organic grower, it is harder than it looks.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Now i simply just pinch the top's no actual removal.Just crush the top in between finger's.

Good advice.
I have not had much success with this type of training myself.
For me the main top still grows too fast.
I usually have height issues, so for me that is the reason to do it, the plants are growing over the light.
What I will do to be more aggressive it is the same squeeze technique but bend the top down a little, not 90 degrees if I can help it but close, bend it to an open spot in the light.

If I do not do this the main bud does not get much light and will stretch even faster due to shade avoidance syndrome.

Edited by shaggy

Well just spent a hour going threw @crownpoodleold thread's.I see you use a HLG 100 rspec for veg.That light put's out  95w/220ppf the 600r put's out 600w/1529ppf.If you are moving the plant's straight from the veg to the flower that would be a considerable light overload.Also causing some plant stress and possible deficiency.So just be causious of this.I know you can only do what you can do.But all these thing's need to be addressed or made aware of,so you dont chase the wrong problem's.I know you want to up your grow game with the least amount of money spent.Watering,up potting  and light adjusting are free.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shaggy said:

This is good advice, that is probably why it is best to do organic in a bed vs a pot.
Each pot is its own ecosystem, mini soil web.
Hats off to the pure organic grower, it is harder than it looks.

@shaggy I've abandoned any attempt at organic in the tent until further notice. You need your shit pretty dialed to pull that off. I dont.  Nice goal though, I think? Outdoors I used 20s and 30s with success other than mold. All those dry adds, worm poop, compost, etc can get fucking spendy! 

2 minutes ago, crownpoodle said:

@shaggy I've abandoned any attempt at organic in the tent until further notice. You need your shit pretty dialed to pull that off. I dont.  Nice goal though, I think? Outdoors I used 20s and 30s with success other than mold. All those dry adds, worm poop, compost, etc can get fucking spendy! 

What you have going on at the moment is a type of organic soil isnt it?

19 minutes ago, oldschool said:

What you have going on at the moment is a type of organic soil isnt it?

@oldschool that's correct, but only as it's on hand. At this point I'm just approaching it as a decent, well draining soil. Any nutes the plants suck up are just a bonus. It's never been too hot for even small plants.  It beat the hell out of the Roots Organic Lush I got a sample bag of. 

Yea 100% organic grow with soil and with water only will require AT LEAST 7 gallons pot size from what I have researched. Better 20 and you will still get a fade towards the end, rather you want it or not. Its tough to pull off indoors, especially with good LEDs

• Like 1