Freebies should stay free!!!

crownpoodle

I didn't quite know where to put this so you might see it more than once. Sorry, but I think this is important. Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe I'm just from a different era? Other than a couple side-bar acquisitions, all my purchases in the last year have been from GLG. At least a dozen orders, with all the associated Bad Dawg Freebies and testers. That's a lot of freebies and I bet I'm not the only guy to benefit from Jeff's generosity. I've given away at least a couple dozen of then, probably a lot more and still have about 20 left with no duplictes. I've got Gooey Cakefighter between the sheets right now. Not only did I give away seeds, I gave away lots of plants last year. 

A couple days back I'm looking for a particular strain that was a one time shot from MMS. I got directed to Strainly by someone here. Hadn't been there before. Interesting place. Didn't find what I wanted, but I did see Bad Dawg freebies, and they were far from free? Someone gives me free seeds and then me selling them just seems wrong. Not kind of wrong, or a little wrong. Personally I think it's flat out fucked up. FUBAR. My parents have both passed away. I think they'd both have slapped me if they knew I sold something I got for free. My older brother who was big with Columbian in the early 70's wouldn't have slapped me. He'd hve thumped me good for bad ethics.  I've got a package going to a guy that wasn't even asking for seeds. We were messaging about a strain and he couldn't take advantage of a sale due to finances. So I'm sending him not the one we discussed, but 6 different ones. 4 of which are Bad Dawg freebies. I sent a couple packs to a different guy who found a particular Bad Dawg strain worked for his issues. He insisted on sending something. I said sent it to someone else who needs them more than me. 

So I haven't sold single Bad Dawg pack of seeds. The next package will be the 4th package sent on my dime. Not a big deal. What's happened is I've had people give me stuff way over and above what I've given out. With everything shitty going on out there right now, I think it's important to not lower myself to other's shitty, negative, shallow attitude. I'm not patting myself on the back. I was raised helping others is just what you do.

Fuck greedy people. CrownPoodle

Well there's the way things are and there's the way things aught to be. Sadly the reality of the situation is that if you don't want your work out in the open don't put it out there. Somebody is gonna take it and flip it or shotgun their tent with your pollen for crosses. Somebody is gonna steal the name and try to imitate it. If you don't keep the gravy on your plate you can't blame others for going after it, that's just how it is and how it has always been with weed. Commercial cannabis in general has an "adult children" problem where lots of people fail to give credit for good things or take responsibility for bad things, and if you're anything like me you make a note of these breeders/companies and avoid them. *cough* Dank Genetics *cough*...

30 years ago people knew the reality of the situation when they let their genetics out of their own gardens. Used to be that just making a big splash was enough to get people to look at your work and boost your perceived worth when it comes to cannabis. They also didn't care so much anyways though, they wanted to share it and advance the collective gene pool and be known for their contributions or insight or help out med patients. You'd be well known to produce genetics that really vibe with people for whatever reasons, and you got recognition and business to crank out the fire. Maybe things move too quickly for that to matter anymore, maybe folks are just different because of the legal market and all the commercial BS that it has hauled in, I don't know. Regardless, while "those were the days" the tactic with how to deal with it if it's going to bother you hasn't changed. Don't drop it if you don't want someone to stick their finger in it, but if you wanna be known as the guy who drops the gravy like a boss it's not such a terrible thing.

1 hour ago, Gaussamer said:

Well there's the way things are and there's the way things aught to be. Sadly the reality of the situation is that if you don't want your work out in the open don't put it out there. Somebody is gonna take it and flip it or shotgun their tent with your pollen for crosses. Somebody is gonna steal the name and try to imitate it. If you don't keep the gravy on your plate you can't blame others for going after it, that's just how it is and how it has always been with weed. Commercial cannabis in general has an "adult children" problem where lots of people fail to give credit for good things or take responsibility for bad things, and if you're anything like me you make a note of these breeders/companies and avoid them. *cough* Dank Genetics *cough*...

30 years ago people knew the reality of the situation when they let their genetics out of their own gardens. Used to be that just making a big splash was enough to get people to look at your work and boost your perceived worth when it comes to cannabis. They also didn't care so much anyways though, they wanted to share it and advance the collective gene pool and be known for their contributions or insight or help out med patients. You'd be well known to produce genetics that really vibe with people for whatever reasons, and you got recognition and business to crank out the fire. Maybe things move too quickly for that to matter anymore, maybe folks are just different because of the legal market and all the commercial BS that it has hauled in, I don't know. Regardless, while "those were the days" the tactic with how to deal with it if it's going to bother you hasn't changed. Don't drop it if you don't want someone to stick their finger in it, but if you wanna be known as the guy who drops the gravy like a boss it's not such a terrible thing.

Pretty sure you missed my point completly. I'm made no mention about what you do with something once you have it. I don't care where you put your seeds or your pollen. There's lots of A list breeders who are happy to see people work with their gear. Mass Medical Strains not only suggests you know how to breed seeds, they tell you how to do it, if you're so inclined. But it's chicken shit to take something that someone was generous enough to give away, then sell it yourself. Start selling free gear and folks will question their logic in trying to do something good. That's not doing your own work, that's stepping on someone else to make a fucking dime. 

Re-selling free seeds? Re-branding another's genetics and selling as your own???? WTF is wrong with people? Neighbors on both sides of me helped me water my freebies LVTK X LBF and Motor city fighter while I was fishing last summer. They were older folks just getting interested in the new legal world here in BC so this coming spring they all get some of DBJ gifts to try. They will know the genetics and breeders attached. Atonic cross for bad back to the left and a Putang cross for the painter on the right 🙂 After lurking on all the sites this is the place-share, help, advance-nice bit of humanity here.  

Well to be clear in case of any misunderstanding, I agree with your sentiments on the matter.

I also don't believe I missed your point. I elaborated on the rational principle that when you give or sell something it's no longer yours. Maybe I overshot it, if so my bad.

Of course if i give something away it's  no longer mine. But if I give something to you (or anyone else) and then you choose to profit from my generosity,  not only would I not include any more freebies the price on what you bought just went way up. If you complain about that you get cut off altogether.  Where I live we call that an"asshole tax". Don't get offended, I'm not imply anything about you personally. Unless you sell free seeds. Then I think I've been quite clear how I feel.

No I don't sell free seeds lol. I do have and have had freebies I would pay to replace though. I also just see it from a sort of "any publicity is a good publicity as long as they spell your name right" type of mindset I guess. If my freebies were so good folks were reselling them I don't think I would care as long as the buyers aren't getting screwed over. I wouldn't just give freebies out to folks who I know will just resell them of course, I'd probably only include them with other bought packs and then if they want to resell them who cares imo. If they bought a pack of my seeds they're my customers I can't really care what they do with what I give them. Buying/reselling/trading seeds between private parties is pretty age old, it doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world to me personally as long as its a fair transaction.

7 hours ago, BC Boy said:

Re-selling free seeds? Re-branding another's genetics and selling as your own???? WTF is wrong with people? Neighbors on both sides of me helped me water my freebies LVTK X LBF and Motor city fighter while I was fishing last summer. They were older folks just getting interested in the new legal world here in BC so this coming spring they all get some of DBJ gifts to try. They will know the genetics and breeders attached. Atonic cross for bad back to the left and a Putang cross for the painter on the right 🙂 After lurking on all the sites this is the place-share, help, advance-nice bit of humanity here.   

Do I hear Mr Rodgers is the background? "Won't you be my neighbor". I've got one friend who kills all small plants. I can't give him seeds, so I give him  8 week old plants. I love starting seeds and getting them going. I get to choose the strain, give him plants, occasionally look in on him and drop a gollon of compost tea, then get given some finished stuff back. Even if it's not great it makes him feel good too. Worst case scenario it's off to the butter bin wth it. I've got the MCF in my line-up for outdoors. What's the Putang X? That's yummy stuff.

7 hours ago, BC Boy said:

Putang crosses freebie from GLG-Putang X SS#4 and Putang BX (Putang X Runaway Bride). Looking forward to it!!

that should be a nice one @BC Boy.

Start up a grow journal when you germinate them.

I would love to see them grow

No-if I germ inside my tent in April I should be far enough along inside by mid-may that I can tell sex. Females get topped to facilitate later LST and put in big pots outside and select (wish me luck on this) males get up potted and ignored for later small seed run (hoping to share with you all-this is ok right?) June-mid August I try to keep everything low even and wide and hope I can muscle it all into 5x5x7.5' tent for flip late August. Way too hot here to do anything inside (as I have 1000w halide/HPS) from June-mid August but weather is too shitty for anything to finish properly outside September on. @Tynehead Tomhas the light dep/greenhouse thing rocking north of me but I can't manage that at present. Will adjust timing based on growth rates etc. The real trick will be to figure out how to flower the Acapulco pupil seeds I have using outside summer, my tent and a buddies tent without any tent doing 12 week flowering! Cheers

Archived