Crownpoodle's 1st indoor grow

crownpoodle

Hey @crownpoodle-regarding the "inside LED then outside sun then back in to finish" and sensitive strains, we have to do that up here all the time. Granted these strains may not have been quite as high strung as current ones I have but they seemed to do ok-no Herms etc. People do leave stuff outside too long then think pulling it in for the last bit will do miracles and end up with disappointing product but using outside here June-mid-August then in for 8 weeks works I think

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My POS device finally let me add a photo. The color is off in the photo a bit. I looked to make sure. It's off a little in the plant but not bad. BP looks the same watered or dry. It's got the claw too. leaves feel ok, not brittle. This was a few days ago. They've gotten tea and some defol since these. I should have flushed but had tea made and it doesn't last. Maybe in a couple days and see how they respond to that. The Hot Mess looks much better. Smells good too.

I got a GLG sticker up and some Jade in with the plants. That should help. 

20210304_165318.jpg

20210304_165826.jpg

20210304_165432.jpg

I have another decision to make at some point. To dim or not to dim. And if I do, when, and why? I looked and see it justified both ways. It doesn't appear to be a big decision either way, for me especially since if I hadn't been reading I'm not sure I'd have thought of it. At least not right away. 

To be or not to , oh I mean...............To dim or not to dim that is the question.....

It is good to have too much light and then cut back to save some money at the pole.

But in your case, not to dim is the answer.

Unless

1. You are bleaching your tops.
  2. Your plants are growing too fast for the room size.
  3. It is too hot in the tent/room.
  4. You do not wish to grow the best weed you are able to.
  5. You can not pay your electric bill.
  6. The light is causing you to go blind.
  7. All of the above.

A bit of humor in there for fun.

BTW the best knowledge on the web concerning LED is our own @Captainmorgan

He is where I got my knowledge from.

The dude knows his shit when it comes to LED and growing period.

Now that I tagged him he may pop in to give his two pence.

Very good. Nope, don't have those issues. I've got plenty, just not those. Pretty cheap to run this one so far. Does that mean more $ for seeds? 

Not blind from the lights, but they told me if I don't stop it I might go blind on a different forum.

4 minutes ago, crownpoodle said:

if I don't stop it I might go blind on a different form.

Trust me they were lying I still have 20/20 vision.🤣

The tired Bubba Pupil seemed to have perked up enough to notice. One thing I know not to do is freak out, over-react and do something stupid. 

@shaggy what do you consider too much light then?

The sun tested at 1800ppf on my apogee.  My room is at around 1300ish ppfd at the tallest top. My plants seem to be finishing better than my buddies and he is at 2000 ppfd at his tallest top. Same strain, lights, medium, peak co2 levels, but he is 5 days ahead of me in flower. His plants have mostly white hairs while mine look to be finishing with 60-70% red hairs. His temps are also around 77-80 degrees while mine stay around 82-85 degrees. Both of us are using the same led lighting. He is hand watering 2 times a day as needed and im running blumat with hand watering 1 time a day at lights on. Both of us are in 3 gallon containers. I am also trying out some more ramping up and down of my lighting and co2 with my hydro pro while he doesn't have that ability. I'm doing a 1.5 hour sunrise/sunset with my light and co2. His lights/co2 come on full blast all day. In another week or 2 we will harvest and I can compare quality and yield. What are your predictions?  

I figured the extra ppfd was stopping his plants from wanting to finish but then again his temps are lower and I've always heard to run hotter with led. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm trying to make sense of what's actually going on. His buds look Slightly larger than mine due to excessive fox tailing but mine look more mature with less foxtailing. Both appear to have nice frost levels but my fan leaves show more signs of being pushed hard with all the edges having slight burn and his leaves only show the very end tip burn in places. Next round I plan to get my ppfd to peak at 1800 but play around with ramping levels up and down for 2 hours sunrise/sunset and see the difference. Also thinking I might go to a 5 gallon pot and get them to the point I can water to runoff at lights on and they will make it a full day without drying out too much. Also going to try 3 gallon pots with 2 blumat sensors to try and keep everything more evenly moist. I tried 2 drippers with 1 sensor but didn't care for that as much as 1 sensor and hand watering at lights on then letting the sensor take over half way through the day when it wants to get too dry.

My end goal is to find the most full proof method to consistently produce the highest yield/quality with the least amount of work, risk, and headaches. 

@crownpoodle not trying to clutter things up in your thread but I feel this is good info to have posted for everyone to see and discuss. Sometimes people don't realize how many variables will change the end result for better or worse. I try to put my genetics in as many gardens as possible that way I can see it in multiple setups and see the difference. You never know what you might find that will change the game. 

Happy growing everyone! 

@Chronic2001you can put any info you want right here.  I'll tap out, or throw a white flag if i get information overload and want you folks to stop using new words I have to look up. 

Well @Chronic2001

My knowledge on this subject is sub-PAR at best.....LOL

Could I refer you to Beta Test Team on ICmag.

They have provided the scientific explanation you seek, maybe.

Knowing the DLI Daily Light Integral is helpful in figuring out these sort of questions.

I am no longer a member there and can not search threads or I would send you a link.

If your buds look different at the main top that is one sign you may be getting too much light.

I would need a team of scientists to help me answer this question and that is exactly what Beta test team is/was.

Check them out if you have time, you will not be sorry.

Sorry I can not be of more help with this matter.

Peace

Shag

Tomorrow is day 28 on 12/12. The claw is Bubba Pupil. The other's Hot Mess. I have nothing to compare to so I'm calling it good. I took a couple funky looking leaves off. I didnt see enough of an issue anyplace to make me want to take any corrective action.  

Browsing around this morning and saw some bud photos that looked similar to mine. At only one week in flower! I must need new and more fancy jugs with cool labels. 

And no smart comments about the 3rd photo looking like a hot mess too. 

20210310_142413.jpg

20210310_142355.jpg

20210310_143259.jpg

Just now, shaggy said:

Looking real good, except for the last one.

You have an ugly pest in your grow room.🤣

Opps, just re read, slipped up and broke the rules.

Sorry??????

You owe me one back now.

3 hours ago, crownpoodle said:

3 hours ago, crownpoodle said:

Browsing around this morning and saw some bud photos that looked similar to mine. At only one week in flower! I must need new and more fancy jugs with cool labels. 

I think you are on point for 28 day's.You can go to page 26 on my thread and that's 10 day's of flower for me.Not saying im setting records but i think my day 10 to 28 day pic's are about normal.

On 3/10/2021 at 7:48 AM, Chronic2001 said:

His buds look Slightly larger than mine due to excessive fox tailing but mine look more mature with less foxtailing.

Auxin and Gibberellic acid in the food/nutrients will do this too.

But you will see the tops are of lesser quality when they do that.

1 hour ago, shaggy said:

Looking real good, except for the last one.

You have an ugly pest in your grow room.🤣

My wife agrees with you!

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

I think you are on point for 28 day's.You can go to page 26 on my thread and that's 10 day's of flower for me.Not saying im setting records but i think my day 10 to 28 day pic's are about normal.

Very good @oldschool. I see I'm in the general ballpark. Understanding every strain, how it grows and who grows it all play in. Looks relatively healthy. The smell good. I get sticky when my arm touches anything. Beyond that? It's been awhile but I've seen some pretty weed that didn't do the trick. Bad cure?  Lots of bad choices to watch for. 

I'm glad it's going fairly well. I've got a couple shallow plastic totes full of solos that will need attention before long.  Better get Weston over and fill a dozen 1 gallons to get started. 

I have a Banana Haze that start's stacking the second the light's are turned back.But it fades out twice as fast as everything else.

Today was water day. Yucca extract and kelp. Scratched in 2-3 tbsp of Fish Bone Meal. I'll strip some leaves and take photos tomorrow. 

Hey @Tonygreen! And coming in hot, I dropped my NYCOxOgChem fems in that fancy shot glass! These are from the combo run you did. All good ones so fire. That'll be for my next tent run. 1 strain only. A 4x4 tent is not enough room for my back to comfortably address fucking with different strains wanting different things at different times. No big deal outside. I don’t care if there's a 7' lanky Sativa next to a 3' squatty Indica. Kind of different with limited space.

That shot glass might become reserved for TG gear. Ive got enough to keep it busy.

@Chronic2001What I really prefer is a variety, and the missus often prefers a different selection of varieties.  There's that. Along with way too many seeds to just grow once a year. Or maybe 2 runs if I was successful with autos outside. I see some folks doing well doing that but I have enough irons in the fire not to put more in. But I must admit I've been looking at those fancy new irons. 

At this point I have no preference on tent v. outside. I've thought about doing something small inside for some time. With the lock downs it was also something to do besides chatter at my wife. She agreed. Weston already asked if he could have it when I'm done so he can have a fort. Once they have a bunch of light leaks I think they'd make a great fort!

I do a small indoor as my only weed garden. Can be a lot of work or a little bit of work depending on your medium and grow style. Soil indoor is a lot of work compared to outside, I'm always moving dirt by hand one way or another. Indoor hydro can be only a little bit of work but is involved to set up, once you get it dialed in its mostly just sit back and relax.

Edit: I'd like to add that if you have room for say a single 6x4 that you might instead opt for a 4x4 and 2x4 double tent set up if you don't already have a spot for mothers and clones.

Archived