Crownpoodle's 1st indoor grow

crownpoodle

So bear with me here folks. This is my 1st shot indoors and 1st attempt at any documentation. Tent is a 48x48x72 Vivosun roof style to fit in my outdoor shed. Lighting is HLG 600r spec (thank you Smokin Joe). Exhaust is a Cloudline T6. I have more misc giblets I'm not going to list right now. Soil is, or was at one point FFOF. Not bottled nutes in it. Dry amendments.  

I've germed and killed a few seeds but have some looking decent now. 2 Mass Medical  Strains Bubba Pupil and 20TwentyMendocino Hot Mess. These hit 1 gallons today. I also have some Mass Medical Strains Boston Cream Pie and some Pyramid seeds Romulan started.  Tent area is prepped and ready. After today repotting today I need to get it up sooner than later. 

Hot Mess on the left, Bubba Pupil center and left. Wish me luck. CP

20210117_171640.jpg

20210117_171650.jpg

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple afterthoughts. The Hot Mess has what looks like a little nute burn. But its not been fed anything! Soil is not just a couple years old, it got rained on. Didn't figure it to be hot. Maybe the strain is sensitive. When I transplanted today, I put a tbsp of Xtreme Gardening Mycos mycorrhizal inoculant. A few years back I got a sample and did a side by side, liked what I saw. My roots always seem healthy so i just go with it. When I mentioned  killing a few seedlings,  it was operator error all the way. I had an atomizer I thought was just water. Diluted peroxide is not kind to seedlings in case you wondered. I worked with enough chemicals in my life I should know to label everything. 

Tents up. Lights hung. I'd read where the tent assembly can be a pain. Directions, were a couple photos. Pretty useless so I could see how that could happen. So with a little pre-planning it took me 45 minutes with a burn break. Initially I was having a hard time visualizing everything. I've seen tons of rooms, tents, etc but just wasn't seeing it. So I put up just the frame where it was going to go. Bingo! This has to go here, meaning this has to go here, etc.  Today it was in the 80's in my yard so I laid the tent in the sun to soften it a little. I had read where they can be a tight fit. Took down the frame in sections. Put the base in the tent and put it in place in my shed. Put up one side, then the other, then the top. The very last pole was tight, but not bad. We'll see how it holds up over time. I'm pretty easy on stuff. I didnt have a ton of options for the space I had available so if I have to replace a $150 tent every few runs I can live with that. I try hard not to waste $,but if I see some seeds I've been wanting that are $150 I'm likely to get them. Perspective. 

I'm calling today a success, as my tent door isn't against the wall. Ha!

Today I topped yesterday. Topped at the 5th full set of leaves. I was going wait a few days after transplanting but they looked fine, so now they're shorter. No photos. You all know what topped plants look like. Unless it's important to somebody, then I'll post a photo. Seems tedious to document all this shit. Normally I have a calender and a notebook. When I go back and look at it half what I wrote doesn't even make sense. Shit, nothing in August? I think I remember what I did.  So I figure if I can do something someone else can follow and possibly use from my yet to be seen errors, for entertainment if nothing else, then it might be something I can look back on.  

Waiting for some 6" insulated vent hose. Due today. Coming together nice. I'll get everything up and running in another day or so. 

My wifes's still waiting for me to finish a year out without jars that say "all the same" or "nice mix". I promise I'll grow less overall plants and less different strains. Right. That worked out well. So yep, I could do better keeping track of shit. 

Girls went in the tent yesterday.  I've got lots of little details to tie up. Literally...zip tie up. Venting hasn't found its permanent home yet. So like I said, zero personal driver seat indoor experience,  but I've been around a long time. I like to read, but have enough sense to question most of it. So to start I gave myself a fairly broad temp and humidity window. And so far with lights on temp maintained low to mid 70s. Rh stable at 43. Lights off temp upper 50s to mid 60s. No Rh change. 

I'll work on my photo skills. Shed's not level, the tent is. No matter what I did the plant photo loaded upside-down.  Fuck it

20210121_143337.jpg

20210121_170646.jpg

20210121_143239.jpg

I'm good at writing stuff, then not hitting post. 

On 1/22 Hot Mess was at 8". Bubba Pupil 1 and 2 were  6.75" and 6" respectively. 

How the HM is 9.25", BP 1 and 2 are now 8.5" and 7.25" 

They're adding lots of side growth. I dont know if this is decent growth, or shitty growth. I never measured growth before. Just noted lots of different growth rates outdoors and worried about stuff i can deal with. I added a monkey fan yesterday.  The plants are a little beat down as a result. They dried out quicker too. Just using water that's a 6, more or less. Drop tester. New pen ordered. 

20210129_164725.jpg

20210129_164643.jpg

Up-potted to 5 Gal fabric after just 2 weeks. I don't transplant on a time interval, just when the roots start hanging out. I had roots hanging out the bottom of the 1 gallons so it was time. They were also drying out really fast in the 1's. I usually go solo cups to 1 gallon, to 3-5 gallons (whatevers handy and empty), then to the finals which are 20-30 gallon, but that's outside. I had other pot choices in both size and plastic or fabric. I figured 5's were a good starting point. Soil is used FFOF with a couple handfuls of worm castings and organic compost added. The soil has previously had Growilla veg and bloom added (3 years ago), along with Mother Earth Meal Mix Veg and Bloom (2 years ago). Not much added last year. Bat and seabird guano, compost, and worm poop. I brew compost tea all thru my outdoor grow and the plants love it. Not sure how I'm going to incorporate that to my tent. Maybe take the plants out and spray them? I added 4 tbsp each Xtreme Gardening Mycos. Roots on transplant were nice, white and healthy. PH'd only water. I'll take photos tomorrow. I'm too lazy to open things back up. Some of that dry sift makes for a nice nap. Just had lunch and like my dad often said, "I think I have a nap attached to my sandwich", Yup.

New growth looks decent to me,  but not vertical,  just filling in more than I'm used to.  I have not grown either strain.The new growth has good color, but the lower bigger fans have yellowed some since transplant. N defiency? I'm a little surprised,  soil may be a little depleted that I didn't anticipate.  Today they got 2 tbsp bat guano, 1/2 cup worm poop, and a 1/2 cup California Gold soil conditioner worked into the top couple inches and watered in.  Pots were light. 

Lights on temps and humidity. 75-80, 45-55. Lights off as low as 62 but not very long, mostly 66-68. Same humidity. Distance to lights is 18-20" , lamps dimmed down.

Any thoughts?

20210204_120531.jpg

20210204_120628.jpg

2 days ago all 3 were "lightly" defoliated.  Mostly just cleaned them up for some better circulation. Today is 3 weeks since they were topped. Lots of fresh growth.  Some plant bondage too, nothing extreem. Not exactly sure when I popped these, as I killed the 1st batch and just started more asap, not writing it down. I'm going to guess 8 weeks, + or - a few days. Thinking it's time to go to flower sooner than later. 

I've also got 2 Mass Medical Strains Boston Cream Pie that are in the tent. They'll be at 4 weeks and  few days at flower switch. I started these when I wasnt sure how healthy the 1st ones were. I’ve got 2 more BCP going and 2 Pyramid Seeds Romulans. I thought about adding them to the tent. There's room now, but if I'm successful there won't be. I could do a SCROG but I dont have the time to commit to that. I'm sitting here looking at my to-do list for outdoors. Then there's her list to accomplish before I get to my list. Maybe next time. Or I might get creative and hack something together. 

A penny for your thoughts. I need to shoot about 100 photos and see if i can't get some better ones. The camera on my tablet works fine. I'm the challenged one. Tomorrow I switch to 12/12. 

20210210_160039.jpg

20210210_160108.jpg

20210210_160031.jpg

Lights were off for 24. Girls woke up thirsty and they all got just ph'd water. To me, it's strange to decide when to start flower. As an outdoor grower the plants tell me what to do and when. I like reading. I see where to succeed you HAVE to do this one thing. But the next link in Google says to succeed you NEVER want to do this one thing.  Both entries are addressing the same issue. I can justify doing, or no doing anything and everything.  Glad I have a sense of humor. So you all realize if I kill it I can thank you. But if I kill them, I get to blame you instead.

3 minutes ago, Ilynnboy said:

oh great hedging you're bets in life huh @crownpoodle?

Are you gonna filet those things?

They'll get a serious haircut in a couple days. Strip out all the lower stuff. My 1st batch of compost tea will be ready then too. I usually make about 20 gallons and any left after my plants just hits the yard before it goes off. 

Started a batch of compost tea today. 20 gallons water. The  hose has an inline filter. I also aerated it overnight. Removes chlorine I'm told. To that I add in a mesh bag 6 cups compost and 2 cups worm castings. 2 cups unsulphured Black Strap Molasses, 2 oz Fish Hydroslate, 3/4 cup Seaweed Extract.  I run an Eco-air 5 thats puts out 1300 gph, with a 9" air stone. I run it for 36 hours. This what I come up from all my reading, starting with www.microorganics.com. tim awilson if I remember correctly.  Do I use a microscope? No. Had one a few tears back that I broke. I was able to verify lots of small critters. My plants love it so I'll just call it good until I learn something better. 

Plants all got a drink of compost tea when the lights came on at 6 this morning. They also got the same thing in foliar form at lights out. Did a little rearranging too. I'm a little nervous as I've only foliar fed outdoors. Just not sure about light intensity. Hoping they dry out good by morning. I'll take a peek early before the lights come back on. If they're still damp I'll dim the lights a bit. If I fucked up, these won't be the 1st plants I had to raise from the dead.  Tony Green Tortures Beans. I wait and torture plants. They also got a hair cut, sort of. My guess you folks will tell me I need to take a bunch more off. I see you guys strip leaves and I'm just not that brave yet. Maybe on one. I'll post photos tomorrow. 

They survived my foliar feeding without getting fried. Still working on getting decent photos. I might try a different device and see if the come out any better. 

20210217_143210.thumb.jpg.af916ea810c1630f5064e31d3cbdcd0b.jpg

20210217_143229.jpg

20210217_143223.jpg

21 hours ago, crownpoodle said:

Plants all got a drink of compost tea when the lights came on at 6 this morning. They also got the same thing in foliar form at lights out. Did a little rearranging too. I'm a little nervous as I've only foliar fed outdoors. Just not sure about light intensity. Hoping they dry out good by morning. I'll take a peek early before the lights come back on. If they're still damp I'll dim the lights a bit. If I fucked up, these won't be the 1st plants I had to raise from the dead.  Tony Green Tortures Beans. I wait and torture plants. They also got a hair cut, sort of. My guess you folks will tell me I need to take a bunch more off. I see you guys strip leaves and I'm just not that brave yet. Maybe on one. I'll post photos tomorrow. 

The reason to foliar at night is to allow more absorption time.

The longer the leaves stay wet the more they will absorb.

That's all there is to that.

With that said I do not foliar at night/lights out ever.

I feel this is the best way to allow PM to take hold.

Leaves on top of one another will transpire to cause wetness and mold.

Again I never will spray at night.

With that said again......

If you wish to increase absorption there are better ways to do this than spraying at night.

To me spraying at night is very bad advice and everyone keeps giving it.

I hate seeing bad advice being spread.

I do not blame you in my statements, just hope to stop it dead here.

Also you need a solution right...LOL

Well I won't leave ya hangin' like most folks on those other sites where they just snicker in the background.

What the hell do I do shag? You ask.👿

Well just spray with the lights on, no need to raise them unless they are so close they may just burn anyway.

If your lights are at a proper distance, not real close.

Feel free to spray everything you want except oil mixtures.

Even then you are probably ok, depending on the oil type and temp and light distance.

In other words be careful when you use oil, spray one plant and check that one plant for a bad reaction, if you can.

Also something to note if you use sulfur, do not use an oil mixture within a certain number of days of each other.

I think it is 2 weeks but need to check my notes to be certain.

So spray with lights on but don't spray the light.

They say they will explode.

I have water marks all over my current bulb and I never blew on up in my life.

I have seen them blow on there own.

So as a safety factor one must advise against spraying your bulb.

Some dumb ass from Trollitup will run his hose over a lit bulb saying shag said it would not blow.

Tell me I am wrong here....LOL

So now how do we get better absorption you are askin' bout now, right?

Simple

Just as the leaves are starting to dry....

You simply spray them again.

More absorption you say.

Spray Dem bitches again.

I like to rewet my leaves over and over for a few hours if I am trying to get something in the plants.

On another note if you are just spraying microbe tea you only need to spray once.

With a microbe tea you are populating the leave surface with microbes for protection.

Nothing to speak of needs to enter the plant.

Now multiple applications, a day or more apart will work to keep the micro heard going.

But there is no real reason I can think of to keep wetting the leaves for hours at a time.

But I do not know it all........

My take on foliar spraying 101

If you find science papers that conflict with what I have written please advise me of my mistake.

As I have stated, I hate seeing bad advice spread far and wide.

BTW I too studied over at www.microorganics.com

Check out ......https://logicalgardener.org for some very good science based advice.

Tim Wilson AKA Microbeman is still on ICMag if you wish to chat with him.

Although he is a bit of a political  zealot and seems irrational at times these days.

I am not into politics at all FYI.

I hope that clears things up a bit for ya.

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Peace

shag

You had kelp in your spray and some other stuff that will absorb into the leaves.

Kelp has hormones ect.

The leaves in this case will benefit from staying wet for hours at a time.

Don't get me wrong night time sprays will increase absorption.

But in my mind the risk out weighs the benefit by a bunch.

Maybe others will give their thoughts on the matter........

II IThey survived my foliar feeding without getting fried. Still working on getting decent photos. I might try a different device and see if the come out any better. 

20210217_143210.thumb.jpg.af916ea810c1630f5064e31d3cbdcd0b.jpg

21 minutes ago, shaggy said:

You had kelp in your spray and some other stuff that will absorb into the leaves.

Kelp has hormones ect.

The leaves in this case will benefit from staying wet for hours at a time.

Don't get me wrong night time sprays will increase absorption.

But in my mind the risk out weighs the benefit by a bunch.

Maybe others will give their thoughts on the matter........

All good stuff here. Thanks buddy. Lots of interesting advice out there. I read a lot, discard most, then I  try and use common sense. You make sense to me. I dropped another fan I today too. I dont really need it yet but I'm hoping I will.  This is pretty much my tea I use all throughout the grow. Sometimes I'll add some seabird guano once I'm in flower, but to be honest I don't know if it helps or not. Pretty sure it doesn't hurt anything. 

Just my take on it. I spray at night time but im only spraying an oil based product. I also tank mix whatever I choose with my suffoil-x. This usually means 2.5 tablespoons of suffoil-x and 1 teaspoon of calmagic per gallon of water. Sometimes I'll use my nutrient mix in the place of calmagic also. Even though the company recommends against adding fertilizer with the oil it doesn't have any negative affects that I've experienced so far.

Now suffoil-x (not sure on other oil based products) is supposed to kill mold and soft bodied insects. It leaves a coating on your leaves and requires full coverage. If you have adequate air flow you shouldn't have mold problems since the product kills mold.

At least that's my bro science explanation. Take it for what it is but it keeps my plants healthy, happy, and problem free. I had a run in with russet and this eliminated it or suppressed it to the point I don't see anything and I never spray past day 10ish of flower(I stop spraying if I see hairs forming). This is just my experience with night spraying suffoil-x.

Also if you have leaves laying on other leaves it will create moisture in between them regardless so make sure to take any leaf that is too jammed up.  I always say I'd rather take a little too much off and make it to the end successfully then leave so many leaves it causes airflow and light penatration problems then you risk bud rot, PM, and having larf.

Take all advice in, process, and use it accordingly to fit your style or needs.

It's nice to know I can spray with the lights on and probably won't hurt my plants. I always avoided it since I thought it would hurt the plants.

If you are new to growing don't forget spraying under DE 1000s vs spraying under 10% dimmed LED could provide different results so pay attention to your plants and always doing a test area is a good idea. Too many variables most of the time for a,  1 right answer, situation for spraying. Some might benefit more from night and some might benefit more from day spraying. Also it might react differently if 1 person uses a wetting agent and another doesn't. It could be different depending on PPM of solutions so take everything into account when making your decisions on what's best for your grow and always watch your plants. They will tell you if you did good or not 😀.

Real good stuff guys. Thank you. Today was water with Protekt and Regalia. Dont ask me to explain the science behind these. I can't. But I'm pretty sure this does no harm, as long as I dont drown them with the stuff. I also off a few more leaves that looked like opportunities for PM. Besides the 2 BP's and the HM in 5's, I have a few others to pick thru that are in 1 gals. To fill in my space. I thought they all had a home but it wasn't read yet so I guess I'll see if I can stuff another couple in.  I've got a couple nice Mass Medical Boston Cream Pies and a couple Pyramid Seeds Romulans.  I think the choice will be whoever looks healthier after I put them in 3's after any transplant shock has passed. The others might have to fend for themselves outside, protected as best I can from the elements.  If the survive,  maybe they can finish inthe tent. 

Archived