Introducing Swordfish

Tynehead Tom

Hey TT,

Have you thought about pre-treating the sunshine mix with something to get rid of the bugs before you plant into it ?

Got any pics of the girls?

Peace GG

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ya you know, I have a composites curing oven. It's kinda shaped like a pizza oven. I just don't know how hot I can get it if it will be enough to pasteurize the soil. For my seed pops from now on I am baking the sunshine mix in the oven at pasteurizing temps before using it and wetting it out.

I think the bugs are just a fact of life i have to be proactive about and they become a non issue. I spend hours with the plants daily so am usually able to see the first signs and deal with it by assuming all plants are affected.

There is a bright side to having the plants experience certain pests as with seed pops, one can start to see which plants different bugs go to first , which ones become infested fastest or wich ones plow thru unphased and which ones show total resistance.

but realistically i don't want them in my garden LOL

Ya I'll try and get some close ups of the plants. There is no flowers yet, things are just getting underway.

Ogtg2213 has just finished a Swordfish and Shiskabah grow with several phenotypes ..... word is he might even be sampling them as I type this ;)

Sf 13, this was very enjoyable to smoke, skunky berries when growing it and the taste transfers through to the smoke, it's a nice clear headed high that I enjoy. It grows like an indica with minimal stretch but the high soars of sativa. It yields quite well but I don't have final numbers yet on anything, they have had a very slow dry and dry trim after 8-9 days and spend a couple days in the bag to get rid of the rest of that green taste. it very aromatic and stinks up the room quick even when double bagged.

this was one of my favourite ones to look at and smell. 

More reports to come as I smoke and "test" these out lol

IMG_2841.JPG

IMG_2842.JPG

Sf-7 , smell is somewhat neutral between mild skunk and mild berries, once you break it up you can really smell the skunk, when you puff on an unlit joint it tastes strong of skunk, when smoking it it's a medium skunk with a bit of berry in the back ground but not much at all, this one was one of the spacey plants so it would have yielded less than the average swordfish , it has a nice clean sativa high and all in all it's good smoke with nice crystal content.

IMG_2846.PNG

IMG_2847.JPG

IMG_2848.JPG

48 minutes ago, Tynehead Tom said:

ya you know, I have a composites curing oven. It's kinda shaped like a pizza oven. I just don't know how hot I can get it if it will be enough to pasteurize the soil. For my seed pops from now on I am baking the sunshine mix in the oven at pasteurizing temps before using it and wetting it out.

I think the bugs are just a fact of life i have to be proactive about and they become a non issue. I spend hours with the plants daily so am usually able to see the first signs and deal with it by assuming all plants are affected.

There is a bright side to having the plants experience certain pests as with seed pops, one can start to see which plants different bugs go to first , which ones become infested fastest or wich ones plow thru unphased and which ones show total resistance.

but realistically i don't want them in my garden LOL

Ya I'll try and get some close ups of the plants. There is no flowers yet, things are just getting underway.

Ogtg2213 has just finished a Swordfish and Shiskabah grow with several phenotypes ..... word is he might even be sampling them as I type this ;)

I was thinking more of a neem oil bath or Diatomaceous earth topping or mosquitoes dunks. And giving them some time to work before planting. But roasting the little buggers is much faster. 

Trying to remember when the Swordfish finished outdoors for you last season? also was it from clone or seed?

Cheers GG

I grew 2 swordfish in the greenhouse last summer just to see what they would look like. i quickly found out that in my climate (and yours probably) the Black Tuna and Swordfish were succeptable to fusarium. I culled them all to save the crop of other plants. Fusarium tried to get all the plants in the greenhouse, the only one showing real resistance to it and required almost no treatments were the shiskaberry F1 and shiskaberry 3 f2.

I even purposefully infected an outlying branch of the shiskaberry F1 greenhouse scrog and left it untreated for a week..... it did set in but one spray is all it took and it never came back.

So, in a better climate, perhaps closer to 49N , and southerly, these plants should excell. Indoors is really what these plants are for although Shiskabah would be well worth growing outdoors if you have a decent climate that allows for a harvest Oct 15 to Oct 21 kinda thing. It's subzero here by then so my greenhouse only made it that long last year by heating 24/7 after 1st week of september

I am embarking on the next step with LMZ and Shiskabah , hopefully for a full release later this year but certainly in time for next years outdoor. Those two are going to seriously kick ass outdoors in most favorable outdoor climates.

Sf-8 ,Sf-11

IMG_2853.PNG

IMG_2854.JPG

IMG_2855.JPG

Sf-11 had a nice and sweet rotten fruit smell? It's hard to pinpoint but I like it, it transfers through to the taste and makes it a real enjoyable joint to smoke, all of the highs have been similar so far so I think it's safe to say they all have an up beat, clear headed high. This one was a medium-heavy yielder 

IMG_2857.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG

holy shit man! Am I allowed to say that those look fuggen awesome!! so frosty! the last two there look like shiskabuds hehe

Sf-12 was the black tuna look alike, it had a little more Crystal than the average swordfish, it had mild berry and mild skunky smell and good aftertaste , it was a bit spacey compared to the rest so it would have yielded slightly less but I'll add the numbers when I have them

IMG_2869.JPG

IMG_2870.JPG

Shiskabah 

Sb-1 the poor yellow girl that was all beat up and grew rock hard buds that smelled of rancid skunk and something else foul

Sb-4 the heavy hitter with bag appeal, she scores an easy 8 across the board. Definite keeper.

Sb-3 fruity smelling looser large buds

IMG_2860.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG

IMG_2863.JPG

IMG_2864.JPG

IMG_2866.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_2868.JPG

hmmm that shiskabah #4 looks fuggen yummy

great job man, I sure appreciate all this feedback. From a grow report standpoint, you've "killed it" as folks like to say.

thanks so much for giving my beans valuable garden space!!

First I would like to appoligise for the shity Picts but I've never been much of a photographer so no big suprise there.

the only plant I didn't really like was SF-3, I havnt smoked it yet but there was nothing unique about it. It's similar to the rest but just a very average plant comparatively speaking. The ones I smoked yesterday had my forehead sweating half way through the joint and my mind racing. I call that a win! Lol

the rest will get smoke reports in the next few days but I can only smoke 2 joints a day so I'll just update the Picts as I smoke.

I can only keep around 30 strains at a time so you have to be pretty special to earn a spot in the mother room but a few of these do fit the criteria. And for me that means it has to be a solid 8 across the board with yield,bag appeal, smell and taste being held high on that list. 

There all stinky, just full of terps and trichs and they all yield med-heavy, I'm really excited to dial in SF-6,SF-13 and shiskabha 4 and see what I can do with that.  These could be heavy ladies in the right environment but we will see in the next few mts what there real potential is

the only downfall is the 70-75 day flowering cycle , but since it has a soaring sativa high that's a trade off I'm willing to deal with. I wish they stretched out a bit more after the flip but it's not a big deal because they veg so vigouriously. 

Check back at the picts for updates, I'll be doing 2 smoke reports a day ;) 

this is great getting these reports and from the sounds of things , anyone buying these beans is going to be happy with what they find.

I can't even say how much I appreciate you taking the time to do this full report man , thank you ;)

Guest Windycitysmoker
On 2/12/2017 at 11:36 PM, Tynehead Tom said:

My first release to the community, Swordfish, is a cross of BC medical community, clone only Black Tuna (herijuana x lambsbread) as the mom and a selection from Shiskaberry 3 f2. I felt the two varieties would be a good contrast for Black Tuna selections in the F1. Also I me and my buds love these two varieties and figured only good things could come from this cross. I'm also working towards a Black Tuna dominant seedline down the road.

So, gonna drop a bunch of picks of Black Tuna in verg and flower indoors and some veg shots outdoors. Sadly my climate just doesn't work for the black tuna itself but hoping for better results with the cross.

Black Tuna , clones vegged 10 days then flowered yielding 2oz + per plant

black tuna apr12-2.JPG

Black Tuna day 22 pic2.JPG

Black Tuna day 22 pic7 - Copy.JPG

BLACK TUNA DAY 53-1 - Copy.JPG

Black Tuna Harvest Pic 1 - Copy.JPG

Black Tuna Harvest pic 6 - Copy.JPG

Black Tuna Harvest pic 3 - Copy.JPG

Black Tuna Harvest pic 11 - Copy.JPG

Now this is what I'm talking about u got any of these ?

@Windycitysmoker  That is the Black Tuna clone only (herijuana x lambsbread) mother of Swordfish. 

Swordfish is step 1 in the process of cubing the black tuna cut to a stable seed line. I could just go for an S1 but I want to really "breed" this to fruition.

I have found the male for the Swordfish F2 ..... oddly enough I thought I had found the female based on structure and what i thought were calyxes but again my eyes deceive me and she is not a she , it's a He and I'm keeping him for the F2. It has taken me quite a few seeds now to find a male representing the Black Tuna side. This one has the markers I'm looking for. 

Now to find a female and in the 12 seedlings of swordfish i have right now there are a couple that look real good if they turn out to be girls.

I want to get the F2 plants selected and bred before summer really gets underway so I can age the beans and pop the F2 for the first back cross in the later part of 2017.

I'm gonna need a few test gardners when the time comes ;)

Ok I finished smoking some of each swordfish so to sum that whole grow up in a paragraph for future growers...

you will ill find phenos that lean in both directions, some are ph sensitive and some aren't. They all carry a skunky,berry and sweet rotten fruit smell, maybe even a foul smell for one or two phenos, they are loaded with terps and taste and they all smoke very nice

tuna leaners will be a little more frosty but less tasty and a little spacey for bud formation- med yield 

shiska leaners will be strong with terps and form large long colas, very tasty weed with dense buds. The frost is on point but has smaller trichomes heads than the tuna leaners but there is no difference in the high

they all give you a clear headed and clean type of high. Until you try to test 3 phenos in one night. Then you go to sleep and wake up with a grilled cheese on your chest. Wondering wtf happened and how u cooked grilled cheese at 2 am. 

Good smoke, great taste, nice high, easy to grow, tight phenos without a lot of variation and med-heavy yield. 

I kept a few to run again and I will probably find my keeper on the next go around. It's hard to choose sometimes when the phenos are all this close. 

4 minutes ago, Ogtg2213 said:

all give you a clear headed and clean type of high. Until you try to test 3 phenos in one night. Then you go to sleep and wake up with a grilled cheese on your chest. Wondering wtf happened and how u cooked grilled cheese at 2 am. 

:5899aa31ab92f_Chimpaughinggif:

Not one to tell a guy what to do, but if the tuna leaner leaves are so distinct why not pop a few hundred n cull hard ... be good to take advantage of the sun n just veg a bunch then cull 90% and flower the remainers and look for a frosty male tuna leaner!

fuckin killed me laughing with the grill cheese ogtg! Guess I'm not the only grill cheese munchie guy,lol, got on to the triple decker ... not sure if it's a good thing or not but it tastes good!

Ogtg2213 , man I gotta thank you for your excellent test grow showing of these two varieties. I most certainly see a lot of positive in the cross itself as a stand alone F1. I also see what i need to see in the cross for making selections.

I see the possible tuna leaners at the sprout leaves and at the 3rd node and by the 5th node I can start selecting.

Hard shiskaberry leaners will have all thier petiole leaves and they usually tend to point upwards like horns. It can be seen clearly in the pic of the male.

Black Tuna grows lots of 5 blade  leaves with slightly forward swept leaf blades , missing petioles, single petioles and leaf blade overlap. 

Black Tuna also has quite a distinct leaf shape and I don't have too much difficulty picking them out as they mature.

I don't really have the rooms right now to do big pheno hunting seed pops and at the grow i could do it at, we are busy pheno hunting God bud and a couple other lines. I'm not in a hurry, the right plants will show themselves in due time. Also, I been popping seeds from the swordfish pretty much every 3 weeks since i moved. Haven't really been posting that but I have been going through plants like crazy over here. There is a portion of my grow that just won't be posted in the public area but I'll give you guys a peak from time to time :D

I don't think anyone has even bought a pack of swordfish from glg yet....

So I'm not really in any rush to work the line for another "public" release. I do however have a comittment to the friend who brought me the cut to work it back around to a stable seed line so the bean making continues regardless.

Archived