Introducing Swordfish

Tynehead Tom

20 minutes ago, Tynehead Tom said:

wow! nice pics man.

thanx for posting those as they are certainly putting the smile back on my face.

I'm sprouting another round as we speak and now it's all about finding the black tuna leaning male.

You are right about the shiskaberry trying to dominate this first generation but I do have a female now that is all Black Tuna so far. Still have to fully flower her out and have fresh black tuna and Swordfish "1" cuttings rooting so that once they root they can flower side by side for comparison.

I have kept a female from the second round of beans that is full on shiskaberry and is just a spectacular plant in my opinion. I'll try and do up some pics , something i haven't been very good at this past week. I haven't mentioned it in the past but nerve damage makes me a lil shaky and getting clear pics can be extremely difficult at times for me depending on how bad i am that day. the more i try and hold the camera steady, the fuzzy the pics get haha

We can watch this one flower out and see if it meets your tuna criteria 

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/17/2017 at 7:13 PM, Ogtg2213 said:

We can watch this one flower out and see if it meets your tuna criteria 

did you find any tuna leaning males? 

I've labelled the two females I've kept so far #1 and #2 , #1 from fall's seed pop is all tuna with a stronger stem rub than tuna. The other is becoming more of a blend of the two the bigger it gets. It's looking more like a "best of both" female the more it vegg's. It has a very cool smell, like old school shiskaberry but with an over riding smell of red licorice rope, the kind we used to only get on trips down to washington state. couple feet long, solid soft red licorice rope. She smells like that :) dying to flower these and patiently biting my nails off waiting for the cuts to root haha.

Threw down another dozen to hunt thru and as of today 10/12 are pushin above ground

I found 2 that had the fat leaf trait and the same smell as my female tuna learners, but I don't know for sure if they would have had flower traits like black tuna

Well, Swordfish seed pop has gone 12 for 12 ;) there was 2 that took an extra 36 hours to rise above the ground but they all made it.

Pleases me to see these germination rates with a simple method. Papertowels soaked with PH 6 RO water 0ppm. inserted in a ziploc and placed on top of the florescent veg light fixture (78F). Then into sunshine mix in solocups buried 1/2" deep. I don't orient the tails I just drop em in the holes.

Can't wait to look thru these 

Now that we're later into flower it's easy to tell the expressions apart

the shiskabah are just as I expected them to be, big fruity/ skunky buds that remind me of good old times, there are two main phenos.

Fruity with large dense buds 

skunky with smaller but rock hard buds

both exhibit the same growth patterns and bud shape

the swordfish are a beautiful mix of shiskaberry and black tuna with a few pheno types to chose from

hashplant pheno - smells like hash with dome shaped buds, minimal foxtail, sugar leaves mostly lay flat on the bud.  1 female of this outta 25 seeds

tuna pheno- smells like skunky hash ,with a hint of sweet berry, tuna looking buds with some nice looking foxtail, pictured above. 1 female of this outta 25 seeds

shiskaberry pheno- looks and smells like shiskaberry buds, some are more skunky and some are fruity, good density. 6 females of this outta 25 seeds

small bud shiska berry pheno, same as above only slightly more dank/foul smelling, the buds are smaller and incredibly rock hard, like unusually hard. 5 females of this outta 25 seeds

will be interesting to see how the small bud pheno weights up against the larger bud pheno. It looks like the large bud pheno is heavier and yields better but the small bud pheno is so incredibly hard it may surprise us

wow, thanks for the update they are looking awesome!!

You are making me want to pop my Shiskabah beans now haha gotta wait till 4-20 though as I got a crap load of breeding work on my plate and need to keep on the schedule.  I need to get on a batch of those to release for testers so I'll hopefully have those ready for late summer/fall.

Need to get more folks growing these Swordfish beans and wish i had more to hand out for testers.

Looking forward to more reports.

say, do any of them look close to be done yet? I would expect the Black Tuna to add to the flowering time up to about 70 days but the shiska male i used was a "fast" male so hoping some of the plants come in with a shorter flowering time. Original Shiskaberry had phenos looking done inside 49 days but in the Shiskaberry 3 I didn't find any that fast. 56 to 60 days seemed to be about right for the females in the batch of seed the male came from.

Swordfish just started swellage stage and have lots of white hair and no amber trichomes, I'm gonna let them go another week for sure, probably 2 weeks until we see 10% amber

shislabah is 5% amber and going on flush now that you got me to check lol

Ya you are one of the few people in weed land to get the Shiskabah. There were 10 packs released to that other place but they long gone and i never did find out who all got them. Very stoked to see the results you are getting , you are treating those girls well ;)

51 minutes ago, Tynehead Tom said:

Ya you are one of the few people in weed land to get the Shiskabah. There were 10 packs released to that other place but they long gone and i never did find out who all got them. Very stoked to see the results you are getting , you are treating those girls well ;)

Lol I wouldn't go that far, they are just hearty plants that want to live. I had a few different issues on that run 

Some very nice work here, did I read "my juicy fruit thai cut". Seems when I was younger that thai shit always showed up in toronto at xmas time, nice read.

51 minutes ago, Tynehead Tom said:

Lol I wouldn't go that far, they are just hearty plants that want to live. I had a few different issues on that run 

46 minutes ago, blues147 said:

Some very nice work here, did I read "my juicy fruit thai cut". Seems when I was younger that thai shit always showed up in toronto at xmas time, nice read.

funny you mention that as this cut came back to me by way of an ontario connection that i had sent it out to many years ago. Still working on trying to track down my original shiskaberry (#6) cut that is still in ontario though our crew lost it 2 years ago. The JFT cut is on lock down as I'm breeding it specifically for the guy who sent me the cut. All the seeds go to him other than what I'm keeping for breeding. If I get a green light to work it into my lines I will do what I can to release something. Bodhi worked with the juicy fruit thai as well so I'm a bit eager to get my mitts on some of those haha

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Usstoner said:

Those are nice...

They really are. The Picts don't do em justice. 

They had ph problems right from seedling stage. I feel these buds could be 30% bigger in my hydro system.

Wait it till you see a table full of the two phenos. 

Black tuna pheno is actually starting to look like it's gonna mature right along side of the rest of the swordfish

IMG_2689.thumb.JPG.8b0078442a6b333252d7a117a43d8e14.JPG

and a comparison with the other phenoIMG_2691.thumb.JPG.419c3ae3afca6891ddf7bbe75ad3c19b.JPG

wonder if they will colour up at all as they fade out. I had a lot of coloration in the black tuna at harvest even with warm temps in mid 80's

shiskaberrry 3 f2 male didn't fade with any colour so that trait if it shows up will be an identifier maybe. I am seeing enough just in your garden to tell me I'm on the right track with what I have in mind for an outcome with this project.

looking fantastic man.

12 minutes ago, Tynehead Tom said:

wonder if they will colour up at all as they fade out. I had a lot of coloration in the black tuna at harvest even with warm temps in mid 80's

shiskaberrry 3 f2 male didn't fade with any colour so that trait if it shows up will be an identifier maybe. I am seeing enough just in your garden to tell me I'm on the right track with what I have in mind for an outcome with this project.

looking fantastic man.

I don't think it's gonna colour up without help from cold water or real cold nights, other plants in the room are changing but the swordfish isn't. I don't think she passed that trait along but I could be wrong , my temps are pretty consistent night and day 

i like this project, nice dense buds with old skool smells I could just eat these buds lol

And here are the ones that we're kinda fucked up by my ph issues but they still grew some killer stinky dense buds

that yellow plant has buds so hard you cannot squeeze them, no joke they are the hardest buds I've ever growen. 

IMG_2700.JPG

IMG_2701.JPG

IMG_2702.JPG

IMG_2704.JPG

IMG_2705.JPG

IMG_2707.JPG

I'm pretty sure this is about day 70, most are ready to harvest at 10% amber right now but I'm gonna give everything a few more days before the chop. the black tuna leaner is about 5-7% amber and the shiskaberry is about 20% amber so they could have been taken a few days ago for sure 

Archived