Bong's micro led grow

Bonghead2020

Afternoon folks (morning for you guys over the pond) 

It's been a few years since I grew anything, I had a baby and the little bundle of joy took my grow room lol. 

I got myself a new tent, fan and filter and a new swanky LED light. 

My tent is 70x70x160cm I know it's small but it's all I can fit in my space.

My led is from a British company called invisible sun an I'm using their ish 150w br (full spectrum) seen good things from them so I took the plunge.

My absence from the scene left me a little bewildered by all the seed choices and breeders, so my friend sent me 3 fem beans to get me a quick Christmas crop although I'm late already lol.

My current plants are 

Killer glue fem X2 little chief colab (serious seeds ak 47 X original glue (gg4) )

orange barb fem (Barbara bud X tangie) 

Grown in plant magic 70 30 Coco perlite mix, Dutch pro nutrients. 

Mr nice seeds angels breath x1 reg 

(6 year + old seeds was a germ test but it grew lol) this is showing female preflowers but also a single male flower so it could get the chop at any time. It is in big roots soil, I bought a brand of Coco I don't use and it cooked the poor thing luckily a buddy sent me a bit of soil with my beans to try and rescue it.

I will post a pic this evening and you can see my cooked seedlings and half an angel's breath after topping and trimming.

Bong

P.s. much love to @Zoot for helping me get back onto the forum it's good to be back 🤘

Evening guys here's my current plants 

There's two killer glue and an orange barb in one pic all fems, they look a bit rough apparently my first feed was a tad much lol 

The bigger plant is a Mr nice angels breath she looks rough she was rescued from bad Coco and saved in big roots soil.

I suck at keeping track of journals but I'll try to update regularly 😁

Bong

3 x.JPG

Angels Breath.jpg

Welcome to Z Labs love those AirPots and I use them too... they will support monster plants lol... I mean a plant 9 foot tall and 3 foot wide in a one gallon pot good luck...

Ph is too high my brother @Bonghead2020, you'll need to blast in enough feed to stabilize the ph of the coco... unlike soil coco has no buffer and a natural ph over 7... it will make potassium unavailable to the plant unless you get your nutrient strength up enough with enough cations(potassium, calcium and magnesium)  to buffer that high ph... I use 3 ec (1500ppm) to charge mine for seeds/cuts but even 2 ec(1000ppm) at ph of 5.8-6.2 will help a ton..

Good new is that potassium is a mobile element... so those leaves will green up again... fastest way is to foliar feed with some feed.   Nitrogen and potassium will give a quick green and speed cell division!

5 hours ago, Coastal said:

Ph is too high my brother @Bonghead2020, you'll need to blast in enough feed to stabilize the ph of the coco... unlike soil coco has no buffer and a natural ph over 7... it will make potassium unavailable to the plant unless you get your nutrient strength up enough with enough cations(potassium, calcium and magnesium)  to buffer that high ph... I use 3 ec (1500ppm) to charge mine for seeds/cuts but even 2 ec(1000ppm) at ph of 5.8-6.2 will help a ton..

Good new is that potassium is a mobile element... so those leaves will green up again... fastest way is to foliar feed with some feed.   Nitrogen and potassium will give a quick green and speed cell division!

Morning coastal, thank you.

I'm using plant magic it's supposed to be loaded with calcium and ph buffered, when I fed I didn't run a lot through them probably about 5-10% run off... So I probably didn't run enough through to get the pH to 5.8 like my feed solution. This pic is a couple of days old now I'll try to snap a few better ones in a few minutes (just woke up lol) 

I'm so rusty it's unreal lol 

My brand of Coco is no longer available, new led lights, new nutrients.... I've made every mistake a noob would make 😂

Bong

Well I checked them this morning and they are still pale, pictures were rubbish so didn't upload but I soaked the pots through with a low feed again ph'd at 5.8 hopefully that'll sort the pH out and get them on track... I didn't soak them like this first feed because I didn't want to overwater but in air pots with 70/30 Coco perlite it's pretty much impossible.

Keep second guessing myself and doing stupid shit.... Like not testing the run off when I'd finished watering earlier 🤦‍♂️

Thought this shit is like riding a bike.... Should rename my thread as bongs fuck ups 😂

Bong

Trust me you haven’t made half the mistakes your gonna make... lmfao... Listen we can get you growing like a pro in no time... but shits gonna happen... and your gonna be like fuck... thought I was better grower than that... But there a lot of good growers that can guide you to the promised land of huge sticky buds and Costal is one of the best IMHO... Take that from someone that fucks it up all the time real good lol 

Thanks @Aspen! Yeah I have had a good share of fuck ups too, that's how I can see signs of stress in pictures lol!

@Bonghead2020 the ph of the coco / run off etc is fairly important but if the EC/ppm is too low, the cations in the coco (especially lower grade or less flushed stuff usually sodium and potassium)  will immediately raise the ph at the root zone too a unacceptable levels, then the plant will struggle to intake the available nutrient because above 7 ph it is very hard work for the roots...  the plant will look pale green/ yellow and get pinkish highlights in the stems and leaves...

The only way to avoid this is counter intuitive to what we have been taught in the canna grow scene as "the proper way to start a plant".... young plants are not more easily affected by feed strength... in fact seedlings are the most resilient to high feeds of any stage... to properly balance the extreme amount of ph raising cations in the coco you need an equal or greater amount of feed (of the right things) ...

The best way to explain it is you know when you ph adjust plain water? Just a few drops of ph up or down and the meter climbs or drops by a huge amount.... but if you have a strong feed in the resiviour it may take a few tablespoons too even move it a few points..

The coco is the same... if it is loaded with salt at ph 8 and its 300ppm of sodium and 200ppm of potassium then it would take over 500ppm just to balance that and more to actually drop the ph into proper range..

A light feed will not neccesarily help, and if you load the whole medium with lower ppm feed it will all start climbing in ph as the water and salts mix. What I really reccomend is going with a very high strength and just giving enough to keep the root zone happy... I would try to water 100-250mL of 3ec feed(1ec cal/mg or gypsum) every day for the next 10 r so days.

Definitely go at least 2 ec or 1000ppm and try to add calcium somehow, it's the best buffer imo.

22 minutes ago, Coastal said:

Thanks @Aspen! Yeah I have had a good share of fuck ups too, that's how I can see signs of stress in pictures lol!

@Bonghead2020 the ph of the coco / run off etc is fairly important but if the EC/ppm is too low, the cations in the coco (especially lower grade or less flushed stuff usually sodium and potassium)  will immediately raise the ph at the root zone too a unacceptable levels, then the plant will struggle to intake the available nutrient because above 7 ph it is very hard work for the roots...  the plant will look pale green/ yellow and get pinkish highlights in the stems and leaves...

The only way to avoid this is counter intuitive to what we have been taught in the canna grow scene as "the proper way to start a plant".... young plants are not more easily affected by feed strength... in fact seedlings are the most resilient to high feeds of any stage... to properly balance the extreme amount of ph raising cations in the coco you need an equal or greater amount of feed (of the right things) ...

The best way to explain it is you know when you ph adjust plain water? Just a few drops of ph up or down and the meter climbs or drops by a huge amount.... but if you have a strong feed in the resiviour it may take a few tablespoons too even move it a few points..

The coco is the same... if it is loaded with salt at ph 8 and its 300ppm of sodium and 200ppm of potassium then it would take over 500ppm just to balance that and more to actually drop the ph into proper range..

A light feed will not neccesarily help, and if you load the whole medium with lower ppm feed it will all start climbing in ph as the water and salts mix. What I really reccomend is going with a very high strength and just giving enough to keep the root zone happy... I would try to water 100-250mL of 3ec feed(1ec cal/mg or gypsum) every day for the next 10 r so days.

Definitely go at least 2 ec or 1000ppm and try to add calcium somehow, it's the best buffer imo.

Even if I watered them this morning I should give them a strong feed but small amount just enough for the small pot with minimal run off? 

Cal/mag is the one thing I don't have but I can snag some first thing Monday.

Bong

Just enough to saturate where the roots are with a higher ec... they are small so smaller amounts more often will prevent swings in ph ec and oxygen. If you let them sit in the lower ec water/feed it will keep slowly climbing out of range on ya.

Next time you pot up get your coco in the pots dry... and then mix up more solution than you think you’ll need I always mix in Diamond K in ro water to about 300 ppm .5 scale that’s pure calcium then I mix the first Reservoir for feeding matching the strength that the clones were feeding at plus around 50ppm.5 so if I was feeding at 400 ppm in the cloner my first batch of feeds in coco in pots should be between 50ppm and 100ppm higher so now that I have a preconditioning soak solution and a Feed solution all mixed up and ph stable and a bunch of pots of coco that are dry... start with the presoak solution and slowly Saturate the pots pouring a little and letting it soak then repeat until the pot is Saturated and running freely out the bottom of the pot.. then let it sit for a few hours because it takes time for the coco to absorb the solution initially.. when ready plant your clones and re water with the rest of the calcium presoak at 6.0 ph then when I’m done planting all the plants and they have sat a few hours start feeding them right away with my feed solution allowing about 15% runoff and your on the way to big plants after that give them a Calcium feeding every week for a few weeks and the calcium is then in the pots Calcium is the key to heavy harvest

2 minutes ago, Aspen said:

Next time you pot up get your coco in the pots dry... and then mix up more solution than you think you’ll need I always mix in Diamond K in ro water to about 300 ppm .5 scale that’s pure calcium then I mix the first Reservoir for feeding matching the strength that the clones were feeding at plus around 50ppm.5 so if I was feeding at 400 ppm in the cloner my first batch of feeds in coco in pots should be between 50ppm and 100ppm higher so now that I have a preconditioning soak solution and a Feed solution all mixed up and ph stable and a bunch of pots of coco that are dry... start with the presoak solution and slowly Saturate the pots pouring a little and letting it soak then repeat until the pot is Saturated and running freely out the bottom of the pot.. then let it sit for a few hours because it takes time for the coco to absorb the solution initially.. when ready plant your clones and re water with the rest of the calcium presoak at 6.0 ph then when I’m done planting all the plants and they have sat a few hours start feeding them right away with my feed solution allowing about 15% runoff and your on the way to big plants after that give them a Calcium feeding every week for a few weeks and the calcium is then in the pots Calcium is the key to heavy harvest

I'm over in the UK mate so I'll have to find a suitable cal/mag product to use, I'll do a bit of searching in the morning to find something that will go with my Dutch pro nutes 

Bong 

42 minutes ago, Bonghead2020 said:

I'm over in the UK mate so I'll have to find a suitable cal/mag product to use, I'll do a bit of searching in the morning to find something that will go with my Dutch pro nutes 

Bong 

I’m sure you’ll be good the name on the bottle or bag doesn’t mean much it’s how you use them... I’m not new to growing but far from an old salt... Bong those little ones will be good in short order... Is there any good cheese or skunks floating around the UK still? That old school skunk from the UK was amazing and so was the Cheese

2 minutes ago, Aspen said:

I’m sure you’ll be good the name on the bottle or bag doesn’t mean much it’s how you use them... I’m not new to growing but far from an old salt... Bong those little ones will be good in short order... Is there any good cheese or skunks floating around the UK still? That old school skunk from the UK was amazing and so was the Cheese

I'm sure in the right circles you can still find the original cheese but who knows 🙂

I'm a massive cheese fan and actually smoking a bit of blue cheese this evening, one of my favourites 😁 

bong

Gypsum is the best source of calcium like aspen mentioned (diamond K is the best most soluble I've seen) but any agricultural gypsum works... cal/mg is the most common at grow shops but if you can just find purecacium nitrate salt it is much better to be able to use more and not have to use so much magnesium. 

I source my bulk stuff and farm and garden type stores , but you could easily order smaller amounts online aswell.

I’ve gone as far as packing the pots with gypsum adding dry powder to the coco and blending before the exact same presoak and that works very good as long as you swing your ph 5.7 - 6.3 in that scenario it’s best to have the timing of the ph swing just right in a 3 day rotation

Morning fellas, I'll water them this morning with a small but strong feed to try and balance them out.

Dutch pro make a cal mag that will work with my feeds so I'll grab that just for ease of use for now. 

Bong

• 1 month later...

Afternoon folks 

There were some problems and the seedlings wouldn't come round so I culled them.

A friend drove a couple of hours to bring me a couple of healthy plants and saved my grow.

I now have one bubba's sister and one peach cresendo X watermelon zskittles 

First pic is when I got them.

Second was after topping, training and finding out what they liked to eat. the last picture is this morning after replacing a dead carbon filter.

I will flower this weekend after taking some leaves off and getting a fan in to blow across the canopy.

Bong

IMG_20201018_095528_984.jpg

IMG_20201113_134941_5.jpg

IMG_20201119_084434_5.jpg

Looks like they are yellowing a bit a foliar with some seaweed or a little Epson solution with corrected ph would help.. maybe the lighting but I like spoon feeding you can correct plant issues quickly... I would say you need some wind in there too... thin branching won’t hold much weight and a lot of air movement and exchange  is needed to keep branching strong and the nasty stuff at bay I mean mold and mildew... Scrogs work too and it looks like you have quite a few tops to manage I’m liking your setup...

Don’t know if your interested in spoon feeding but it’s very simple and effective... First you need a solid base feed something they get every day with a solid ph swing weekly... Then as the plant needs something you mix a bucket of like Calcium or magnesium solution of Epsom if needed ph it so the element needed has maximum uptake and it’s a one time extra feed of whatever the plants may need and you can do this without interruption of the regular feeds several times a week... reading the plants needs is key

The flash is Making them look pale bud they are right where they like it at the moment. 

I've got a fan ordered (lockdown non essential item) coming in a few days, had a carbon filter fail and stink out my bedroom... Flimsy branches I can support but without a carbon filter I can't grow so the fan had to wait.

Went for a substantial upgrade especially for my small tent lol there's no smell anymore 😁

Bong

IMG_20201119_120512_4.jpg

Archived