Isopropyl mite spray

Limos

Just a quick recipe for a mite spray that is very effective. Best used in veg as will melt trichome heads in flower. 

1 part 99% isopropyl alcohol 

2 part H2O (water)

Spray plants (Top to bottom - bottom to top) and surrounding areas throughly at lights out for 9 consecutive days. Do not skip a day or skip spraying a plant or area as you will be wasting your time. 

if you cannot find 99% Isopropyl alcohol adjust H2O appropriately for 91%, 70%, etc. 

Optionally, I have added a tablespoon of neem in the past to a spray bottle with this solution with good results. 

Goes without saying to keep air circulating as normal. 

Also add this regiment to any new clone coming into your garden. Spray down and isolate. 

Best of luck in the fight with the borg. Resistance is not futile if you are thorough and persistent. 

@Coastal :share:

• Like 5
  • Great Advice 2
  • Thanks 1

Mite suck! Thanks @Limos I have been fighting these little fucker since spring I cut clones, cut down all my mom's cleaned mt veg space painted all the wall's the fuckers are still active! I will give this method a shot..

• Like 1

what also works and is what I use

-15mls concentrated H202 (35%) per liter

* I have 29% H202 so I use 18mls per liter

-20mls alcohol..... I use 190proof grain alcohol (everclear) you can also use original listerine

** haven't tried ISO myself but I think the 99% version could be used in this mix.

-2mls dawn dish soap or your favorite wetting agent.

you can also add canola oil , neem oil , tea tree oil ect ect

I add Scotts Bub B Gon with canola to this recipe , following the label.

right now my entire mother and male stable are all brand new clones and I dip them every 3 days in the recipe above and every 3rd dip is with the bug b gon added.

gives folks some options if ISO is in short supply.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2020 at 3:01 PM, Limos said:

Just a quick recipe for a mite spray that is very effective. Best used in veg as will melt trichome heads in flower. 

1 part 99% isopropyl alcohol 

2 part H2O (water)

Spray plants (Top to bottom - bottom to top) and surrounding areas throughly at lights out for 9 consecutive days. Do not skip a day or skip spraying a plant or area as you will be wasting your time. 

if you cannot find 99% Isopropyl alcohol adjust H2O appropriately for 91%, 70%, etc. 

Optionally, I have added a tablespoon of neem in the past to a spray bottle with this solution with good results. 

Goes without saying to keep air circulating as normal. 

Also add this regiment to any new clone coming into your garden. Spray down and isolate. 

Best of luck in the fight with the borg. Resistance is not futile if you are thorough and persistent. 

@Coastal :share:

@Limos did you get any kind of phytotoxicity from spraying this for 9 days straight ? 

I was also curious what your experience was mixing it with neem. I’ve seen other people mention that idea recently as they were trying to just recreate a homemade green cleaner type of product. 

I had a old friend swear by just using a diluted alcohol spray as well but I was always leary. I see now he was on to something LOL

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, farmerjoe420 said:

@Limos did you get any kind of phytotoxicity from spraying this for 9 days straight ? 

I was also curious what your experience was mixing it with neem. I’ve seen other people mention that idea recently as they were trying to just recreate a homemade green cleaner type of product. 

I had a old friend swear by just using a diluted alcohol spray as well but I was always leary. I see now he was on to something LOL

Certain strains did develop a bit of leaf damage but nothing serious. I believe due to spraying heavy with lights on (some days just couldn’t make it to the garden at the ideal time).

The added neem works best in a warmer solution. I would take the ISO/H2O spray bottle and let it sit on a warm surface then after spray bottle came to temperature, I would add the neem. Shake and spray...that’s basically the method as I work my way around the room...shake and spray. Again Neem is not essential to this mixture I just had a bottle available. 

Yeah it seems counterintuitive to spray down plants with alcohol but it really is a great alternative to the poison regime. 

It does kill the mites on contact but also will melt the waxy membrane of the mite so it can no longer hold moisture. I believe it to be harmful to eggs as well but I was unable to verify this under a scope...which is another reason for the 9 consecutive days of spraying. I’ve tried variations of spraying times and this works...as long as you are thorough and consistent. 

As a side note...this does not work for thripes lol 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do add Dawn to the mix never any of the other stuff tynehead tom recommends but am willing to try any organic pesticide mix I can to fight these. I was pulling my hair out obsessing over getting rid of this pest . @Limos thanks for the update so far it's been working for me yay! I am spraying it past the nine days  once a week just for some added preventative measure..

• Great Advice 2

I was also adding h2o2 to the alcohol spray but was using 20mL per litre of the 29%? I think h2o2... 

I have used a lot of oils and I find them very helpful to give the leaf a nice glossy coating that helps foliar feeds stick and be very effective and also help vegging plant maintain moisture in lower humidity environments or with high amounts of air movement.

Bit of a warning with oils is they are photo reactive and WILL burn the leaves 100% if sprayed to heavily or under direct or intense light.

Might be the alcohol dehydrating the leaf if you do 9 days of daily spraying? Not sure about the life cycle on the russet mites but for spider mites we heard they had a three day life / breeding cyle so would spray every second day so we would get em before they lay more eggs..  not sure if it would lower the efficiency but maybe rotating in the oil like Tyne suggested and the lower alcohol rate every 2nd spray might keep the leaves nicer if it's a concern.

• Like 1