Sterilizing Coco

corgitron_prime

corgitron_prime

Looking to sterilize coco. I was just thinking of dumping boiling water through. Baking it just seems like too much work. Any suggestions?

Edited by corgitron_prime

I just wash mine with a 4' x 8' square built with 2  x 12's and a screen bottom...run water thru it until all the build up is gone, let it drain and then start over with it...Re charge and then transplant what ever I'm going to run.

I will be doing every pot I ran since last winter next week and then putting it all in bins to use thru this winter, saves a lot of $ and i don't have any issues.

• Like 2
Comacus

@Orion when you flush the pots do you just flush in the pot or dump into the flushing tray you made?

I've never run coco but am thinking about giving it a try.  I sometimes grow tired of the peat flies and other pests that can be in the soil.

corgitron_prime

yeah i am all about reusing it that's for sure. i typically get three or four cycles out of a brick. the first thing i like to do to fresh bricks is bake it for 225 for a few hours. if there is anything anything inside i like to make sure crispy before breaking it up. broken up coco is a pain to pasteurize. My new normal is 225f for a three hours minimum. Then i throw it in a bucket with boiling water. cap let sit overnight. charge and reuse. 

• Like 2
  • Nice Job 1
38 minutes ago, Comacus said:

@Orion when you flush the pots do you just flush in the pot or dump into the flushing tray you made?

I've never run coco but am thinking about giving it a try.  I sometimes grow tired of the peat flies and other pests that can be in the soil.

I dump it into my square and run water thru it with a hose and nozzle....I use bags of Mother Earth coco as of the past 5 years and really like it....I store it in fish totes because they stack neat and are real durable.

Edited by Orion
  • Like 2
corgitron_prime

found a huge metal container at a thrift shop 5 dollar holla. Boiled 3 gal water and some table salt. once it was raging i added my first batch of coco. brung it back to a boil . let cook for 30 min/ temps were around 220 when i pulled it off. scooped it out with a strainer put it in a 5 gall bucket and capped. temps going in were about 190. 45 minutes later around 150, three hours later 102. im pretty sure if there was anything in the coco its dead by now.

• Like 1
Coastal

I'd stay away from tablesalt.. it's not good for plants and ties up CEC sites that could hold calcium or potassium... 

• Like 1
  • Great Advice 1
corgitron_prime

Absolutely agree just needed pinch boiling chip. I'm still going to flush it out with RO. Get it close to clean as I can get ec around 300 and ppm around 150 and build it back up.  Tyoically I just bake a couple bricks at a time.

Edited by corgitron_prime
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is a 24 gal. 12 / 2gal. Pot's, coco washer I use for the small rooms...left it in there tonight for the rain we will be getting tonight to run thru it...there are just 6 pots in there so plenty of room for 6 more.

20201111_172741.jpg

20201111_172733.jpg

• Like 1
corgitron_prime

Nice, I had a out 50 gallons washed but was freaking out because of the russets. Had to boil it to feel safe again