Seed popping!

Chronic2001

Chronic2001

I've tried cups of water, root riot cubes, and the paper towel method a few different ways.  I find the paper towel method works best for me and this is how I do it. 

Things you'll need:

1. Tupperware container (i prefer separate containers for each strain but ive been known to use large disposable turkey trays with foil over the top also)

2. Paper towel (I like the thick stuff from bounty)

3. Water (i always use a fresh bottle if i have 1)

4. Marker or labels of some sort

5. Warmth

Notes:

1. dont touch anything with dirty hands and you can even use some hydrogen peroxide if needed but not positive on the application rates for different concentrations since i dont use it. @Coastal should be able to fill in that blank.

2. Dont forget about you seeds lol.

3. When doing multiple strains in the same container be aware some seeds might stick to the paper towel so be cautions pulling the top layer back so you don't have seeds from 1 strain falling into another strains germination pile hence why i prefer individual containers for each strain. Plus not every strain will germinate at the same rate so you might have some ready to go and some that need more time. Seperate containers just gives you better control and less room for error imo.

4. If you can go ahead and help the shell of the seed off when you plant or it could become hard and more difficult to remove later. I know seeds are fragile but I have near 100% success rate carefully pulling the shells off IF THEY ALREADY HAVE ACCEPTABLE ROOTS. If its just a tail popping out I plant just below the soil surface. I also use the lightest mix possible and will use a spray bottle or the water bottle with small holes poked into the cap to moisten the medium after i add the seed. If im using a sprayer then a fine mist over the top until you reach your desired moisture level is good. If using the water bottle with holes in the cap i aim for the outer edges of the cup and let the moisture wick into the seedlings area. 

5. I dont use domes but I do keep my humidity above 60% in my veg rooms.

So I use Tupperware instead of baggies. I like the seeds to be able to grow inside the paper towel if they choose to.  This makes for a easy transplant and the seed is above ground to start and you never have to wonder if it will pop up above the dirt or not. The only thing to be aware of is sometimes the roots will grow into the paper towel so pay attention to this and be gental. Some will pull right out and some might need you to assist by tearing the paper tower to get them free. I've also broke some roots attempting these methods and the seed always survives as long as you dont decapitate it to badly. 

I always use 2 layers of paper towel on the bottom and 1 layer on top of the seeds. I use 1 layer on top so the seeds can push this layer up as they grow if needed. I use 2 layers on the bottom so I have a little more play when adding and holding water so it absorbs and doesn't puddle but has enough moisture for the seeds to do their thing. I want the paper towel to be wet but not pouring water off of itself or creating puddles(think moist not drenched). I hope im describing that correctly. 

Some seeds with pop tails and some with grow like crazy in the towel within 24-72 hour. 

So recap

1. Get a clean Tupperware container 

2. Get bounty paper towel 

3. Get bottle of water

4. Get a marker or use label off seed pack

Now

1. Place 2 layers of papertowel at the bottom or container. 

2. Get moist using bottle of water and avoid puddling or over wetting the paper towel.

3. Lay seeds out however you like them spaced out onto bottom layer of moist paper towel.

4. Place 1 layer of bounty over the seedlings and i usually press down and use the water from the bottom 2 layers to saturate the top towel. If it isn't enough to saturate the top towel add some more until EVENLY moist.

5. Close up the container and label it. 

6. Make a note on your phones calendar to remind you to check the seeds in 3 days. Ask me why i made this a step 🤣

7. Place seeds in a dark place that gets some warmth to it. I always keep a warm bathroom so thats where they go in the winter. If i have a clear Tupperware container I just wrap it in a towel to light proof it unless its going into a cabinet where its dark. Placement of the tupperware is solely based on conditions at the time. I want some warmth and im sure you could use a heat mat or some other variation of thing to get what you need conditions wise. Just for measurement sake id say anything above 70 degrees is acceptable. I haven't done much experimenting with temps. 

@oldschool hope this is was you were looking for.

Let me know if anyone sees something that needs changed.

disclaimer: Remember this is just how I do it and that doesn't mean you also have to do it this way. Im a firm believer in different strokes for different folks. Take a little bit of everyone's techniques and make them your own. Also this is my 1st ever tutorial of how I do things so sorry im not the best at properly writing things up. Anyone can feel free to send me a cleaned up version and I'll edit this 1 😆.  Anyways! May all your seeds pop vigorously! 

20200629_094736.jpg

20200703_122632.jpg

20200703_125416.jpg

20200703_133711.jpg

• Like 2
  • Nice Job 1
Coastal

You can use pretty strong rates to clean any potential contaminants off the shell... I'd say 3-5% would be sufficient.. for a soak I'd go more mello... probably put 1-2mL of the 27% in a litre..

People use bleach and other sterilizing methods to get em clean before the soak too..

Will note that if I dont see the shells crack in 2 or 3 days I manually split them so the tap root can get moisture and grow. Some seeds have to strong of shells and they harden as they age...

Edited by Coastal
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Chronic2001

I've never scuffed seed shells before. Do you incorporate that into your process? Can you describe how you manually crack the shell and what you use to do it? @Coastal thanks for dropping by and sharing the information with us.

Also do you have anything to add about popping old seed?

I let my buddy store some seeds for me but he kept them in his safe and when i got them back I had 2% germination rates over several different breeder packs. These seeds are probably 10 years old now and still in my fridge. Do you think they are a lost cause or is there anything i can do to increase the odds of them coming alive again 1 day?

I'm going to give the manual cracking of the shell a try since I've had seed not pop and I just threw them away before. I never knew you could do that. 

Edited by Chronic2001
  • Like 1
Chronic2001

@oldschool have you tried any of the techniques on that site? I probably have a few thousand dollars is old seed if you want to dig through them and try your hand at popping some older gear. 

• Like 1
fly007

I usually soak em for 24 hours. Then arrange em on a paper towel so all the points are pointing the same direction. Fold the paper towel and put em in a unsealed baggie, standing up, so that all the points are up. Then let gravity work its magic....

61582816217__4B656DC6-A39F-4919-9E7F-471045EB8DCB.thumb.JPG.b8baeb66fa77a360c5f98234209833eb.JPG

• Like 4
  • Great Advice 2
  • Thanks 1
oldschool
6 hours ago, Chronic2001 said:

@oldschool have you tried any of the techniques on that site? I probably have a few thousand dollars is old seed if you want to dig through them and try your hand at popping some older gear. 

No i have not,all my seed's are fairly new.I scuff the seed's, soak in RO water with H202 added,until i see tap root.That usualy happens in 24/30 hour's.Place in paper towel put inside a plastic bowel on heat mat set at 80 until they shed there helmet's.

• Like 1
fly007
9 hours ago, oldschool said:

I use a little box like the size of two match boxes put together with 80 grit sandpaper lining the bottom and sides.Put seed's in close box shake for 10 or so seconds and you have  scuffed seed's.Here are some good way's of popping old seed's,

https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog-four-hacks-for-germinating-old-cannabis-seeds-n1183

We have an altoids tin lolimage.thumb.jpg.d707654a5b27d3ea06279fe10d5f16bc.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Nice Job 1
Chronic2001
13 hours ago, Smokin Joe said:

Seed cracker 

wire-connectors-wire-terminals-jwr-b1-10-64_1000.jpg

Now isn't that something. This is the 1st time ive seen anything like that. I noticed when I didna Google search I found some other Marijuana seed crackers. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1
Smokin Joe
7 minutes ago, Chronic2001 said:

Now isn't that something. This is the 1st time ive seen anything like that. I noticed when I didna Google search I found some other Marijuana seed crackers. Thanks for the info!

It's actually a ground rod clamp and easy to source.

• Nice Job 1
  • 2 weeks later...