Contest entry for 2020

Guest Blake

Guest Blake

Have been extremely busy but glad I finally checked in with Strawberry Hill as there is a contest and my plants are getting very close. Talked to Tom the other day and my plants consistently take longer to finish than his. Tom moves his outside for their daylight photoperiod so that is the main difference that we could figure on. Been a good grow. Usually have to run a humidifier as this is very dry country. Very wet this year and have been struggling with humidity for about a month now. Friend lent me a huge dehumidifier so that has been a big help. Ran into some nutrient problems but managed to survive. 11th week of flowering for these ladies and they are getting impressive. Not sure which one will be entered into the contest as there are 11 to choose from. Three were started later and while flipped at the same time are smaller.  I did not get all my varieties so did a second germination about ten days later. Was only 3/12 females on that bunch but was just as well as once the fifteen plants got rolling that was all the room we had. Still have not managed to get a Super Collider Kush female but given the odds the next bunch will be females. Strictly anecdotal but this is my third Black Scratch grow and has been mostly female, 5/6 this time around, 4/4 the previous and my first Black Scratch grow was 2/4. They are the variety I am most familiar with and demand a strong soil nutrient base. Last time around they cured into excellent smooth smoke that had a good punch.

IMGP3907.thumb.jpg.bb907a0aced7b1686c1928cebeba72a0.jpg 

Two foreground are Old Timer's Stash and the one on the right is probably going to be the contest entry. Very frosty, the rear one is a Black Scratch, equally frosty but the buds are a bit lighter at this point.

IMGP3909.thumb.jpg.9a4816000a03bdbaa27963e3a2f0bca3.jpg

Gorilla Thug and one of the younger plants.

IMGP3910.thumb.jpg.b5971b5361b924f4341ee4f6d518e51f.jpg

Gogi Ghash

IMGP3911.thumb.jpg.bdbb58f096daf26c2264525a6ef786e4.jpg

Chunk D HashPlant and the other possible contest entry

IMGP3914.thumb.jpg.388ff36d18046bc53b7bb0185f7022a8.jpg 

The grow tent with the shorter plants (my other room is a full 8 feet) . Shows my problem with humidity. This is when I first opened them this morning. Just put those passive dehumidifiers in yesterday and so far seem fairly useless. Once I crank up the dehumidifier I manage to get the plants down to 45-50%RH. That has been my biggest challenge, so far no bud rot. The light is a bit off they are not as purple, rather a deep dark green. To this point my most successful grow and eagerly anticipating curing this up. That Old Timer's Stash is really grabbing my attention at this point, the photo's do not do it justice.

IMGP3913.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

everything looks great @Blake , thanx for posting those.

How's the fishing right now? Still trying to slide a trip in but its hard to find someone to be here to light dep my plants for me 😞

10 hours ago, Tynehead Tom said:

everything looks great @Blake , thanx for posting those.

How's the fishing right now? Still trying to slide a trip in but its hard to find someone to be here to light dep my plants for me 😞

Fishing is good when its good, some very nice fish and then a bit spotty, think the weir is being played with a bit and that affects how thick they are when they are going by our place. Fishing should be good for the next two weeks and then tail off. Guest cabin is open for you and the Boss if you decide to head up. Have all the gear just bring yourselves.

• 3 weeks later...

Well a slight change of plans and here is the new contest entry. These were transplanted a couple days ago and they all survived nicely and are beginning to go. There are four Old Grandpa's Stash, three Super Collider Plant, two Goji Ghash and one Gorilla Thug. A couple extras thrown that are not a Strawberry Hill variety, they are called the Violator. Pretty intense name see how they turn out. Not pleased with my transplant survival from the paper towel to the solo cup. Lost six good looking germinated seeds, going to have top work on that part of my game. Once again 100% germination on all Strawberry Hill varieties with the exception of Gorilla Thug. One survivor of that variety so really hoping for a female. Lousy photo but shows the transplant shock was minimal and looks like 12 healthy plants on their way. Smaller plants were germinated about a week later. 

IMGP4038.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a new format for the webpage  and some growing pains to go along with it. Glad I don't have to make this stuff work. Anyway the plants are moving along in a good way. The Gorilla Thug is #7 for your info Tom. Good looking healthy plants and starting to go. Started another ten plants from seeds that happened my way. Called Pineapple Express, see what happens.  Back at you Chronic.

IMGP4045.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The plants really kicked in and Friday is the end of week four. Getting anxious about flipping but will wait another week or so and will probably flip after completion of week five. Plants are very healthy with one exception. Fan fell off the shelf yesterday and landed squarely on Bubba Royale, not exactly LST. Topped all the plants on Sunday. Very healthy. Started another nine plants called Pineapple Express, seeds dropped in and have no idea what these will do.IMGP4076.thumb.jpg.cdf89454f9ac010e81089d88ef62fbd1.jpgIMGP4078.thumb.jpg.f641a196b509afe1e0df6d6c8cb649d0.jpg

nice !

what do you call LST by falling fan? HST LOL High Stress Training !

It's a weed it will survive 

looking good my friend, those are gonna blow up real nice.

just got back from deer hunting. Was supposed to be gone for a week but shot my buck from the treestand on the first morning. Was so hot I had to leave the next day but not till after my buddy got his buck the morning after me 🙂 Gotta love it when a plan comes together !

Trying to make it up your way for them mooses ..... stay tuned

Meanwhile I have a deer to butcher and then tomorrow it's more harvesting in the greenhouse!! 

@Blake lookin good!  I hate to admit it but mine are still hanging out in solo cups waiting for transplant. I haven't really been feeding them anything except dehumidifier reclaim and a couple 800 ppm feeds so they have some deficiencies going on. I wont complete my grow by end of the year but im alright with that.  Ill be curious to see what they do when I put them into 1 gallons and feed them daily!  They have another 7 weeks before I flower them out.  I wanted to put them into a main room but didn't have the space currently.  Ill post back when there something nice to look at 😆.  

@Tynehead Tom was 82 degree here yesterday so the deer hunting will have to wait for me. Congrats on the buck!

Will be real interesting to see how yields compare with the different growing periods and methods but same genetics. Mine are really starting to veg out now and this is the end of the fifth week. Next watering will take some individual shots for structure. Life changes our plans on a frequent basis Chronic. Might give them a little liquid fertiliser jolt with this watering and flip sometime this coming week. Couple singles in varieties so some good luck in a couple more weeks will tell the tale. The Gorilla Thug is the biggest plant so probably a male. 😞 The Pineapple Express is starting to kick in so will include some photos on the next watering. Watching them flower will be the toughest part while you are still holding yours back, Chronic. Photos up in a few days.

On a hunting note Tom almost no hunting pressure on the lake to this point and it is near freezing every night. Some snow higher up the other night. 

Water day. The plant that took the hit from the fan is fine although slightly behind now. Included a shot of the Pineapple Express which came my way. Know absolutely nothing about them. 100% germination and nice looking plants. The stunted one popped at the same time but had trouble shucking the casing and is now appreciably behind.

IMGP4094.thumb.jpg.27086694f2bdc36ec20fc71c3a1f0c9e.jpg

Some photos of Strawberry Hill Varieties except #9 which is called the Violator. A freebie someone passed along.

IMGP4093.thumb.jpg.51e42b273c8f472155d04987e83ae1f5.jpgIMGP4092.thumb.jpg.59d084b084265cd189b867e87963bd2f.jpgIMGP4091.thumb.jpg.d2142cd4fafa08ad1af93be948d4d8a6.jpgIMGP4089.thumb.jpg.3a45818d44da544d029ed2ceed6822af.jpgIMGP4084.thumb.jpg.9b2f25bad77adac8b11f3cff5c61fa30.jpg

looking good @blake , yer in the races 😉

Sorry I haven't been checkin in much this past week. Been out nearly every day looking for more deer for the freezer. Loads of does and fawn and cown an calf mooses but no bucks here at home for us yet. Mr Underhill and his wife pulled in my driveway few days ago with a nice pair for the freezer 2x3 and 3x5. After our talk this morning..... I'm gearing up and looks like you might have some company tomorrow evening barring any catastrophes

look out mooses..... here I come LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Busy times have taken a few photos to keep everyone up to date. Was 10/12 on females :). So they are well into flowering mode now and took them out for their final hair cut. I always feel I took too much when I am done but it is done now. I think I took too much, damn not again. The Pineapple Xpress are thriving and flipped the switch on them four days ago. Huge fans,they are just starting to stretch

.IMGP4127.thumb.jpg.c4db25e26c0bc9ac0c175e45ee39b2ec.jpg

IMGP4125.thumb.jpg.7e0224b7c29ca8fea6a58d1fa4f68e69.jpg

The grow room is full and starting to get smelly in there.

IMGP4134.thumb.jpg.7b6df6293fe4f6b51638b3802b20664c.jpg

defoliated (topped once before flip) and back in the room. They will take a few days off now.IMGP4129.thumb.jpg.fe19ba263e0a7cbbb02ef69b8ab2c383.jpg

looking nice and healthy @Blake

Was a pleasure spending a few days at your place and seeing your garden first hand. You will have to thank your wife again for me as I really enjoyed the hospitality.

Your plants are coming along nicely and that's a great female count ;)

I'm about to fire up the big lights and get my groove on inside with a big seed pop and ice fishin season is almost here .... just need the damn lakes to freeze up!!

Has been very wet since you left. Keeping me close to home. Hardened up a few days ago, Lucy was going full bore and wiped out and is lame right now. So on the IR hopefully not much longer. The ladies took their trim well and are starting to perk up again. Those Pineapple Xpress are showing really different veg growth right now. Be very interesting to see what these do. #one is a Super Collider, same one as above.

• 3 weeks later...

IMGP4154.thumb.jpg.4fb70e5fd219a127d3864d45301b8d31.jpg

Pineapple Express starting to show themselves. !00% female so as I know nothing about this variety will assume they are feminized. Short nodal length, not stretching a great deal, maybe just a little more. GIve people a better look next time they come out of the tent

.IMGP4160.thumb.jpg.4f9e758ae0acacc46453a09659e8cc8a.jpgIMGP4160.thumb.jpg.4f9e758ae0acacc46453a09659e8cc8a.jpgIMGP4166.thumb.jpg.97310fc9bc09d1f4f1d672ca4e0cfffd.jpgIMGP4169.thumb.jpg.d7d345d029184d07ba2218293bbf0535.jpg

Winter is full on. These are about five weeks of flowering, just starting to get serious. Plants are very healthy to this point, watering approximately every two weeks. Chronic look at those buds. 🙂

IMGP4159.jpg

IMGP4173.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Set up for some shots and battery was dead. This is a Pineapple Express from Nov. 28. AS mentioned figure these must be feminized. They are starting to flower nicely. Only one LED in the 4x4 grow tent so wonder how much that will hold back production. The other room has 10 plants and two LED Viparspectra. Should make for an interesting comparison. Will get some better photos up in a few days as water time is fast approaching.

IMGP4182.thumb.jpg.3cac7f4f86fe807e411ec311beb5a572.jpg

@blake , who made the pineapple express? Those aren't my beans but they do look like nice plants eh?

I have that container you gave me of these seeds so will be nice to see how they do.

down to wire here with the grow contest..... lets see that strawberry hill gear !! 🙂

Water day. No longer bringing the girls out of the room if not necessary, opportune time to start snapping nice buds off. Plants starting to build, 8th week since the flip. The Pineapple Express are 5 weeks since the flip.

IMGP4188.thumb.jpg.c2ce88f47a6feaa1a1cc397856676624.jpg

This is a Super Collider which has been shown at earlier stages in this grow. IMGP4189.thumb.jpg.55d885c7ed133415efaf4b637818eb30.jpg

Inside room photo the taller two plants on the left and right side are The Violator, again no back ground. That is a Gorilla Thug in the middle at the back. Plants smell good right now. Following my usual pattern they will take about 13 weeks total. Those Violators leaves are starting to turn just a little and they may finish quicker. The rest of the plants are still a vibrant green and hopefully building dense buds.

IMGP4190.thumb.jpg.f0089cf7a44d086a4653c12062d985a9.jpg

Lousy photo but will give you idea of bud development to this point.IMGP4191.thumb.jpg.ef825e44c84e3fbc1ce1c019db991730.jpg

Grow tent with 8 Pineapple Express in week five of flowering. Healthy nice looking plants to this point. Will get back to you Tynehead about any back ground I can find out about this variety.

Weekly update. Starting to tense up as this is grow # five for me and have managed to hermie up on three occasions. Different causes each time and should have everything covered, so no surprises. The Gorilla Thug is moving along nicely, Tynehead , no problems at this point. Wish we could have had at least a couple of that variety. It is my first time for the Super Collider and they look good. Been smoking the Goji GHash for the past few days. Have a couple of those on the go now and looking forward to it. Last crop I stunted the plant and only produced a small amount, but it has a good wallop to it. IMGP4195.thumb.jpg.28cc49d2a30353ef559fc6d5c3b2d5ab.jpg

Same Super Collider that has been shown in previous photos

IMGP4197.thumb.jpg.a746f01a83677b4158e30171ff04d408.jpg

A look at bud development end of week 8

IMGP4198.thumb.jpg.73647056e28abc46b64f349e0c96745f.jpg

Group shot of the Pineapple Express end of week 5 since flip. Just starting to get into bud development. I topped these and flipped them three days later. You get a good look the plant on the left, not a huge stretch. One PE plant showed a little N deficiency and nailed her with some Bloom. Yellowing stopped. Had a cal/mag show up on a Super Collider (the one working the hardest). Took that as a sign and gave them all a little taste. No more leaf discolouring. Managed to make it through once in my soil grows without supplementing but not this time unfortunately. Next time will be putting a layer of 'hot soil' on the bottom of the pots, see how that goes. Once supplementing begins it is a real guessing game playing around in the most tenuous time for the ladies, a little toxicity right now is the worst move I could make. Did I mention tense :). They are really getting a good smell to them. 

Archived