Breeder: Mass Medical Strains

Genetics: indica / sativa hybrid

Created/Grown in:  January/February/March 2109

Grow type: indoor soi,  plagron promix

Nutrients: bat guano, palm tree ash, fish and algae powder

Weeks in veg: 5

Height: start of flowering 36cm

Here's my Putang 🙂

She's in a 19 liters fabric pot, the medium is Plagron's promix mixed with coco fibers. Amends I used are bat guano, palm tree ash, fish and algae powder.

She vegged 33 days. All she got and will get is tap water, no ph adjustments.

Flipped to 11/13 (thet's my light cycle for flowering) 11 days ago, has grown 14cm since then, now she's 50cm tall. The lights I'm using are quantum boards (lm301b Samsung chips), two 3000k 220 and 240w, and a 4000k+ far reds and UVs 210w.

I'm ssooo very excited about this grow, I hope I get the light pink pheno, but I'm sure that also the green one it'll be awesome.

Some pics!

1263144667_Img(15).thumb.jpg.c8c72f895fe615391004616243ad04ec.jpg

576617449_Img(12).thumb.jpg.f15e2637352cca4bd68e2c94de3fbbbe.jpg

913215927_Img(18).thumb.jpg.3b4da7e2c0d7fb309d284fa378f5f1b8.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ombra_muta
2 hours ago, Pupilfam said:

Pretty! Looking forward to watching her bloom.

Me too man! If it has even only half the effects you describe, it'll be awesome 😁

Guest ombra_muta
2 hours ago, Ilynnboy said:

I think it’s gonna be colored.

I really hope so, colourful plants are my favourite!

IMG_20191118_134700.thumb.jpg.e87e35affeffa02aa0482680b6b6808b.jpg

A good example is Pakistan Chitral Kush, just 10/12% THC in a pure indica, but she's super tasty and pleasant 🙂

Guest ombra_muta

Take a look at these leaves: they have these yellow tips I'm a little concerned about. I don't think it's nute burn, because while in veg she never showed signs of nute burn. The parameters that changed are: photoperiod, light intensity, temperature (3/4°C higher in the flower room). For now I have dimmed a bit and raised the lights, which are Quantum Board LEDs, 220w power each, at 60/65 cm distance from the tops.

IMG_20200208_180423.thumb.jpg.b83f13d3f432a9acd9217b4f21e92f53.jpg

Also coco has naturally higher PH and requires a daily high level of nutrient to balance that PH or it will drift up over time as nutrients are leached out or used up by the plant.

Your stems look thick and your leaf stems are still green up till the newest growth, but if you see more light green and more pink and purple in the newest leaf stems it's a sure sign the ph is going up over 7 and making potassium less available which is most likely the cause of the tips lightning aswell..

I would try to make a nutrient slurry using worm castings kelp gypsum and fishbone meal.. but anything that brings a bit more EC and has a preferably  lower ph will be good.. fungal dominant teas lower ph too I'm pretty sure...

A foliar feed will correct any immediate effects and keep them going producing a healthy bud set on that nice structure you've established..

It really is a challenge for coco as an organic base because of the ph sodium and potassium levels.... gypsum is the best calcium for coco because the sulfur pushes out the sodium and potassium and build a more balanced calcium ratio with a more even ph... dolomite and other calcium are a challenge with coco and should be avoided... 

Best of luck and I'm sure they will do well no matter what because your already almost flowering and they look great so far!

Guest ombra_muta

My tap water sits between 8 and 8.2, ec is around 0.4/0.5.

I'm still in a trial and error phase, obviously, and I now realize that a pot mix based mainly on coco (promix is mainly coco fibers itself) maybe wasn't the best idea. Next rounds I'll use a richer medium!

@Coastal you mentioned a raise in EC, I have a few amends at my disposal at the moment, maybe I could top-dress with powdered fish and palm tree ash? I could use Plagron algabloom, but I really don't want to, because I'm sure it's not organic even though they state so on the bottle.

(It's reassuring tho that you think I'll get a nice crop haha 🙂 )

Looks like a minor P burn to me.

Nothing to worry about just lower P inputs a bit until it goes away.

If you are in flower and organic, things look right inline for flower.

It is good to boost P at the start of flower, unless you are getting too much stretch, if you are  just lower the P.

I have been told the average grower is over using P.

This could also just be caused by a PH fluctuation making P more available check runout/off to ensure you are in the proper range.

Or just a spike in available P for whatever reason, like it finally broke down from the last grow or was in the soil from the start, maybe but hard to say.

Use citric acid or ascorbic acid  vit. C for a PH down to eliminate adding more P.

But you must check your nutrient solution or water PH before giving it to your plants.

Get it down to at least 7 PH and check runout/off if it comes out higher than it goes in, you may need to feed at 6 ish PH.

Other than PH adjustment I would not change a dam thing myself, unless things get worse.

When you change too may thing at once things get out of balance real quick, that is never good.

You can chase your tale forever if you start down that road.

As @Coastal said, add some gypsum to the feed,  calcium, calcium, calcium, it is the trucker of all minerals.

Shags opinion here:

You can never have too much calcium, but it will, if over used, lockout other elements, although gypsum seems to work around the lockout issue unless over used.

But you may need to spray apply magnesium to keep the balance of calcium and magnesium proper, you will see the stems turn purple usually.

Or drench is fine really it may pack the soil a bit, but spray is better unless it causes humidity issues than drench is better.

Tip:

If you can squeeze your stem and it pops because it is hollow, you probably could benefit from some calcium.

The best way to add calcium is gypsum, just ask slownickle and @Coastal of course.😎

Oh, watch the fish bone meal, might have too much P.

Interesting stuff @shaggy ! I know almost nothing about nutrients in detail, cause I grow in a super soil with plain water, and it always does the job. 99% of the time my plants are perfectly healthy, cause I know the soil well!

I just wanted to comment that most of my genetics, especially pupils, have big hollow stems... a trait said to be related to many high thc cultivars... I wouldnt think it is a sign of not enough calcium... just curious if what you say would close up a hollow stem or simply make it stronger? Interesting thought.s

Hallow stems are signs of a heavier feeder. You can definitely close the stem in with pith if you get the proper nutrient and ph. Calcium is the hardest to get in the plant and it doesn't translocate unlike most other elements...so you need to be mindful to have enough available calcium and some boron and molybdenum to help the plant take it in..

Potassium magnesium and sodium are all cations as well and will compete with calcium.. if you build your plant with higher levels of potassium and sodium your plant will look healthy till flower set and then it will become more susceptible to bugs and mould etc...

If you topdress or mix gypsum in your waters it will keep the available calcium up and the sodium and potassium in check.

@shaggy I believe the tip burn is the start of a potassium issue.. if it was a phosphorus excess I believe there would be a slight to significant clawing as well as the burn... I do believe there is enough potassium probably in the medium and it just isn't being absorbed, but to be fair you need a good balance and if you get that the nutrients can be fairly strong in my experience without many issues.

Guest ombra_muta

Whoa, a lot of info here! Super useful too!

So, let's go with a bit of order.

I have never given any bottled nutes to her, just plain water. All the nutrients are in the soil. So at this point, here I write the values written on the products; they're all from Guano kalong, an I used (following the dosage):

- Bat guano - NPK 1-10-1

- Fish powder - NPK 4-5-1

- Palm tree ash NPK 0-1-30

- Seaweed powder - NPK 1-0-1

The soil itself is very poor in nutrients, its EC sits between 0.5 and 0.8.

About the hollow stems, I'm sure they're not: I've supercropped a couple of branches and they are super thick and wouldn't snap under pressure.

So if the problem here is calcium, I can use a bottled calmag booster (wouldn't tho), or I can use some eggshells? I never did it but I've read something about it.

I would still guess in your case the ph climbing up is the main if not only.real issue... in my opinion a very light top dress of the fish and palm ash would be the way to go or bubbling a bit in water... you may be able to just use citric acid to get the water down around 6 ph too if your hesitant to add more feed... gypsum imo is a real help to most grows but not essential and because of your higher ph it has probably taken in a good amount of calcium ... your stems look thick and healthy ... the egg shell you would want ideally to extract with vinegar for a foliar spray or start a worm bin to digest the carbonates for your compost/top dress for next round as they aren't super plant available and may uo your ph further...half the magic of gypsum is the sulfur... pure sulfur is also a good top dress to lower ph and drive out any build ups...and sulfuric acid is a great ph down as well available at car parts places in high concentrations that can be watered down.

Your very close to ideal range so I wouldn't do anything too drastic... just may want to watch for signs of the ph climbing further.

Does the palm ash raise ph do you know?

Guest ombra_muta

Ok, some gypsum is on the way, and I'll start preparing the egg shell extract. I was thinking too about citric acid to lower pH, ordering it! Looking into sulphur too.

About palm tree ash google says it has a pretty high pH, around 12!

Guest ombra_muta

A little update, since flowering is starting 🙂

Today is the 16° day from the switch, and she's 61cm tall. She'll get some gypsum added to the next watering.

IMG_20200213_121536.thumb.jpg.bdcf75aed2c0d681c56cf208f2fc272e.jpg

273722444_IMG_20200213_1214582.thumb.jpg.02cf26f3640f34a76c26f960ee223985.jpg

Guest ombra_muta

Here we are, 3rd week is starting! Citric acid has arrived and she got pH 6 water, let's see how it'll go in the next days.

She's 72cm tall now, still no sign of stopping! 

IMG_20200218_175923.thumb.jpg.dd03d65f67a4d6c28e5dda62bd0910ee.jpg

IMG_20200218_175940.thumb.jpg.b175195a1c9fd219ac37509b72355de4.jpg

IMG_20200218_175954.thumb.jpg.7a3ed298cad682685834230925a9ec9d.jpg

Update on the smelly side: the rubbing the stems you can smell the Star pupil in there! On the leaves, tiny trichomes are forming, and touching them... wow, it's like a jelly made of all the agrumes, lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, bergamot! And she's just starting, it's awesome!

Still no purple signs tho, maybe it'll be a touch late in flower.

Guest ombra_muta
3 hours ago, Pupilfam said:

Those thin leaves are stylish as fuck! You got the green pheno, expect some amazing body effects on those ones, and loads of frost.

I'm a bit of a colour junkie haha, but the green one is fine too! I'm looking forward to enjoy her full flavours 🙂

On 2/19/2020 at 4:26 AM, ombra_muta said:

I'm a bit of a colour junkie haha, but the green one is fine too! I'm looking forward to enjoy her full flavours 🙂

For sure, the pink and purples are my personal favorite, but the green ones are really nice too and often have beautiful colored fades on the leaves!

Guest ombra_muta
6 hours ago, Pupilfam said:

For sure, the pink and purples are my personal favorite, but the green ones are really nice too and often have beautiful colored fades on the leaves!

I think she'll fade eventually, the min temps are currently between 63 and 65f!

Don't know if you guys are aware but over here (UK) in certain circles Putang means pussy.

So reading some of the comments above about flavour, aroma, colour etc.  makes me smile.

(Just realised I've become a 'dirty old man') Haha.

Archived