Johne71

Starting the clock on veg

Johne71

I’m curios and sorry if I missed it, but is there a consensus on when to start the clock on your veg cycle?   At what size do you allow a plant to get or is it from sprout?   Same question regarding  clones. 

Im thinking to keep variables the same we’d measure from sprout and use the best growth factors within “x” time to define one part of good genetics.  Just a hypothetical as I honestly don’t know the answer to this.  

j

Coastal

Usually you would only veg as long as you need to establish the plant to produce the weight and size required to fill your space and yield needs..

BUT this varies enormously... some people veg for long periods in large pots to keep low plant numbers, or grow huge trees..  others only veg for a few days and use small pots to get quick harvests or just top colas..

If your going from seed it's a little different.. you could start a plant under 12/12 light cycles and it would vary a lot how big a plant would get or how many weeks to establish flowers... most will veg longer/bigger in a bigger container with lots of food... any stress or lacking could trigger flower earlier or get less stretch etc etc... 

And that's just barely accounting for genetic variables... which is a whole other ball game!

Johne71

Hi @Coastal 

thank you for the response.  I think I understand the reasoning behind allowing a plan for veg longer or shorter, but is there a consensus on what “60 days of veg” really means.  60 days from when?

thank you!

j

Coastal

That would be 60 days from seed/clone hitting soil, regardless of pot size... imo that is a little excessive but some people like to have a more root bound plant because it limits stretch but I find the trade off is plant health...  hard to keep a plant healthy for the extra 30+ days.. plus they rent to get woody and thinner stems during stretch...

Chief Kief

I always assumed day one was the day the seeds got wet. A couple buddies say from the time the tail pops out of the seed case. That takes 2 days off of my way of doing it. Lol

It's all personal preferences.

Johne71

Interesting to find out it boils down to preference and not defined.  For grow studies and comparisons of plant selection wouldn’t it make sense to have a consensus?

I’m in no way a a level to compete in growing anything as I haven’t been in the game long and can’t let awesome genetics give me any clout at growing.  BUT...if some friends and I have a “grow off” it must be from seed in water.   You may miss some great plants that take longer to sprout but that’s part of it I guess.  Or maybe two clones cut from one mother both dipped and in a cloned or pod.  

I have a plant that’s very young.  About 4 weeks from sprout.  Shot up the fattest stem I’ve seen so far.  It’s a mystery seed which can happen a lot here for various reasons and partly because I don’t mind.  I made some crosses for personal growing only as well as some pure crosses from reversed females.  This seed was laying on my counter and I have no idea from which it came.  

just thoughts..

4F3767D6-3445-4731-9ACB-4E4BB4C3337F.jpeg

Johne71

Just snapped a quick photo of one of my Slurricane IX.  Really like this plant. 
CFE0084F-251E-432B-803D-876F58CD330B.jpeg.bc6a5b24bb22d9600ebb7401bbbb1f41.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Nice Job 1
  • Yummy 1

Ilynnboy

I would look at it like this.

A child is considered living & breathing on its Day of birth.

Not when the mother goes into labor to birth the child.

But that’s just my usually worthless opinion.

Labor = getting them wet.

Birth = sprout or pop a tail. (Even though popping a tail is quicker than sprouting up through the dirt. I would think a day or longer to sprout and emerge ?)

So it may take 24-48 hours for a warm wet paper towel pop.

And As much as 7-14 days on actually sprouting up through the dirt when directly sown.

So that is a little bit of my reasoning and how I come to answer the question.

Just to back it up a little.

a clone is not considered vegging until it gets roots correct?

Even though it may be in a cloner, root plugs, cup of water or even dirt.

So even though the cutting is wet  it is not in vegetative growth is it?

Is an unrooted cutting considered to be Not a plant in Canada @Coastal?

I mean according to Ca law?

Thoughts?

Johne71

Interesting twist in root development.  Interesting 

Coastal

Yeah in canada no roots = not a plant... 

I would consider day 1 the day I put a rooted clone in dirt... cup pot whatever but imo that is day 1... seeds i would say day 1 is when it's out of the soil and the first leaves appear but that's just me...

@Johne71, there isn't really a consensus because everyone grows different ... different size plants different size containers different size rooms different grow techniques etc etc

When I grew hydro table I had over 50 plants a light... i gave them 3-5 days veg then initiated flower... any more and they would be totally fuct and falling all over the place.. after i got arrested i decided having thousands of plants looked pretty bad when your thinking about court etc ... yeah so anyway i went to growing 2 plants a light in 15gallon containers... same yield overall but it took a bit longer because i had to veg for 20-30 days to get a 2-3' plant that would stretch up too 5-6' mark by the end of flower...

All just different systems to achieve the similar end... but for most home growers 60 days veg is quite a bit and I would say 100% you'll loose health and vigor in most systems vegging that long... 

Seeds in my experience do take a little longer to get established ... but still 6 weeks would be tops for me before i wanted to flower...

Ilynnboy

I used to have a setup like the one you described @Coastal.

Root clones in rock wool cubes, 3-5 day veg in blocks then flower.

Just growing colas. That’s it . No big root mass, not a lot of time for problems to occur.

I loved it.

Always harvesting a row of buds.

But like you said .....plant counts will kill ya...

I have always liked small fast plants like you grow... In and Out..

Bugman

from seeds 60 days veg in soil [day 1 starts when seed sprouts] , from rooted clone 30 days veg

thats kinda what i do.