OverGeeks Garden lab 2020

Guest FrostyColas

Guest FrostyColas

It's a long story but my garden is known as the OverGeek lab...its current situation(pics to follow) flower day 17. Mass medical strains putang and dandelion gum haze. White larry dragon from dragons flame genetics. These ladies should be cleared out by the first week of February. 

Coming up we have cannaexotics Dark desire X Zava.

Bohdi sky lotus (Skywalker OG X Snow lotus)

Antenna columbian haze and pll3.

Living soil. Led lighting. I'll try to update. Comments and questions welcome.

20200109_212928.jpg

20200109_213002.jpg

20200109_212722.jpg

20200109_212812.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What living soil recipe are you running if you dont mind and if you were to give a suggestion for someone looking into them where would be your start point?if I'm not being too intrusive.

Guest FrostyColas

Sorry. I dont really have a recipe for you. I have a local source of good,clean soil. When I first got it I sent off for a soil test and used that to ammend it. I've only done one test since and that was a year or so ago. I think any balanced soil to start would be fine. I'd probably use Michigan mix if that was available for me. I feel the important  part is the living stuff. I inoculated mine with some bokashi when I mixed it the first time(and I continue to use a bit in my mulch layer) earthworms do the bulk of the heavy lifting. Having some pill bugs(sorry I dont know what they really are some call em potato bugs?) Predator mites and Rove beetles round out my work force. I've tried alot of grow styles over the years and this has been the absolute least amount of work. My grow is almost completely closed loop now.

Hope this helps at least a little. If you have any specific questions post em up. There are many more better minds than mine floating around here!

10 minutes ago, FrostyColas said:

Sorry. I dont really have a recipe for you. I have a local source of good,clean soil. When I first got it I sent off for a soil test and used that to ammend it. I've only done one test since and that was a year or so ago. I think any balanced soil to start would be fine. I'd probably use Michigan mix if that was available for me. I feel the important  part is the living stuff. I inoculated mine with some bokashi when I mixed it the first time(and I continue to use a bit in my mulch layer) earthworms do the bulk of the heavy lifting. Having some pill bugs(sorry I dont know what they really are some call em potato bugs?) Predator mites and Rove beetles round out my work force. I've tried alot of grow styles over the years and this has been the absolute least amount of work. My grow is almost completely closed loop now.

Hope this helps at least a little. If you have any specific questions post em up. There are many more better minds than mine floating around here!

Sounds good bud.I am Finns follow along and see where it goes.thanks for taking the time to post..time these days is always at a premium it seems..

46 minutes ago, FrostyColas said:

So how did you like running that putang? and have you run antenna strains before?I see some good stuff coming from them and when I can save up antenna is on my short list!

9 minutes ago, FrostyColas said:

@Trailerparkshine

The putang is still cooking(f25). I've got a thread for that one and the dandelion gum haze in mass medical strains sub forum. I'd link it, but I dont know how. 

Ok bud I'm going to go check it out.

Guest FrostyColas

The ladies got a little cleanup and inspection tonight. Lookin alright...one of the putang is giving off a real strong sassafras smell. Not experienced that one before...but I like it! 😁

Hope y'all are having fun in your gardens today!

20200118_014542.jpg

On 1/18/2020 at 2:01 AM, FrostyColas said:

The ladies got a little cleanup and inspection tonight. Lookin alright...one of the putang is giving off a real strong sassafras smell. Not experienced that one before...but I like it! 😁

Hope y'all are having fun in your gardens today!

20200118_014542.jpg

Doh that undercarriage cleaned up nice.

Guest FrostyColas

@Trailerparkshine

Thanks. I dont usually do this, but I did a little side by side with some clones last run and got slightly more weight of the ones that got their legs shaved than the ones without. More importantly the overall quality of bud was vastly improved! I'm still not certain on timing and technique for it. Mid flower ish just seemed about right. That and if I didnt get in there soon I wasnt gonna! So thick! Air movement is also much better and humidity more manageable. 

20 minutes ago, FrostyColas said:

@Trailerparkshine

Thanks. I dont usually do this, but I did a little side by side with some clones last run and got slightly more weight of the ones that got their legs shaved than the ones without. More importantly the overall quality of bud was vastly improved! I'm still not certain on timing and technique for it. Mid flower ish just seemed about right. That and if I didnt get in there soon I wasnt gonna! So thick! Air movement is also much better and humidity more manageable. 

I agree with your findings..I also am still kinda flying by ear on timing myself.I also sometimes think I'm so heavy handed.

We experimented a ton between about 10 guys each with 1 or more spot each and the reality is that you need to do multiple strips to really focus the energy...

We clean up the plant after about 10 days from plant to get the cluster away from the stem and take off any dead leaf or stunted branches..but leave 50% + of the leaf mass to avoid stunting them 

Right before flower we found it is best to take all the small branches that grow off the main branches and again take all leaves etc that is clustering the main stalks or branches.. we tried the 3 a light techniques of leaving more side branches off branches but removing ALL the leaf and it was determined that if you dont leave at least the top 3 fan leaves on a branch it will not stretch the same and you will loose yield... also on the 3 a light method we got smaller bud overall so it took a lot more time and money to process.  

We found depending on how hard you strip before flower starts it is best to do your last strip between day 9 and 18 of flower (variety and stretch dependant).. basically when flowers start to form about the size of a dime on your tops , you want to again take off all but about 3 fan leaves per branch, and ANY buds that are not yet forming a solid nug... ideally (for us)if you have 8 or 10 nice branches with 7 nice 2 gram buds you could get 4-5 ounces of really good weed out of a 3 gallon..  bigger pots you'll need more to get the same numbers out over light but if you stay on the excess leaf and smells your top flowers will make up the weight and then some plus your time harvesting will be way more efficient and it is a lot easier to maintain good airflow and humidity, avoid bugs etc etc.. 

Got a lot of pictures in my threads if you need a visual too ..

9 minutes ago, Coastal said:

We experimented a ton between about 10 guys each with 1 or more spot each and the reality is that you need to do multiple strips to really focus the energy...

We clean up the plant after about 10 days from plant to get the cluster away from the stem and take off any dead leaf or stunted branches..but leave 50% + of the leaf mass to avoid stunting them 

Right before flower we found it is best to take all the small branches that grow off the main branches and again take all leaves etc that is clustering the main stalks or branches.. we tried the 3 a light techniques of leaving more side branches off branches but removing ALL the leaf and it was determined that if you dont leave at least the top 3 fan leaves on a branch it will not stretch the same and you will loose yield... also on the 3 a light method we got smaller bud overall so it took a lot more time and money to process.  

We found depending on how hard you strip before flower starts it is best to do your last strip between day 9 and 18 of flower (variety and stretch dependant).. basically when flowers start to form about the size of a dime on your tops , you want to again take off all but about 3 fan leaves per branch, and ANY buds that are not yet forming a solid nug... ideally (for us)if you have 8 or 10 nice branches with 7 nice 2 gram buds you could get 4-5 ounces of really good weed out of a 3 gallon..  bigger pots you'll need more to get the same numbers out over light but if you stay on the excess leaf and smells your top flowers will make up the weight and then some plus your time harvesting will be way more efficient and it is a lot easier to maintain good airflow and humidity, avoid bugs etc etc.. 

Got a lot of pictures in my threads if you need a visual too ..

Thank you so much.thus is super helpful.between 9 and 18 day of flower is after the stretch or at least when it slows down considerable?

Guest FrostyColas

@Coastal thanks for the details. I've been operating in a vacuum and only started rooting around the net about 2 years ago. Never grown(or even talked)  with another grower besides my pops. He's in his late 70s now so I learned the old hippy ways. I've taken over all the growing now and it just keeps getting better thanks to folks like you! I really appreciate your efforts here!

No worries @FrostyColas, I was raised in an area with a lot of growers, many second or third generation as well! A lot of that old knowledge is still the base of many of the "new" techniques just know we are starting to know why it worked or fine tune things..

@Trailerparkshine as  zombug stated most will really end stretch around day 21 if all is well.. stress , nutrition, light etc etc will affect this and you just need to really look at the plant and see if not taking the leaf is negatively affecting things... is you humidity too high? Are the bottoms getting too thin and light green? Are the dominant top branches competing for light and getting too big of node spacings?...

You also need to think about they will slow down a bit from the stress, so if you do it a bit early they might not stretch quite as much where as if you do it to late your hurting bud swell instead of stack... it's easier to tell where the buds will fill in by the later day 18 end of things, but I think you actually get more if you take that little stuff off earlier before it saps any extra energy... it's really hard at first to be brutal enough... but after looking at pictures of the last runs or triming a bunch of small bud it gets easier!

13 minutes ago, Coastal said:

No worries @FrostyColas, I was raised in an area with a lot of growers, many second or third generation as well! A lot of that old knowledge is still the base of many of the "new" techniques just know we are starting to know why it worked or fine tune things..

@Trailerparkshine as  zombug stated most will really end stretch around day 21 if all is well.. stress , nutrition, light etc etc will affect this and you just need to really look at the plant and see if not taking the leaf is negatively affecting things... is you humidity too high? Are the bottoms getting too thin and light green? Are the dominant top branches competing for light and getting too big of node spacings?...

You also need to think about they will slow down a bit from the stress, so if you do it a bit early they might not stretch quite as much where as if you do it to late your hurting bud swell instead of stack... it's easier to tell where the buds will fill in by the later day 18 end of things, but I think you actually get more if you take that little stuff off earlier before it saps any extra energy... it's really hard at first to be brutal enough... but after looking at pictures of the last runs or triming a bunch of small bud it gets easier!

I will definitely try to do that this next round.

Guest FrostyColas

So a thing happened...sonehow 6 antenna columbian haze and 4 purple lazerlite 3 have found their way into a spot of dirt....I'm stupid excited for this...

20200121_121623.jpg

2 hours ago, FrostyColas said:

So a thing happened...sonehow 6 antenna columbian haze and 4 purple lazerlite 3 have found their way into a spot of dirt....I'm stupid excited for this...

20200121_121623.jpg

Oh man I'm excited for that too and imma follow along if you keep us updated!

Nice one! I really really liked the antenna purplelazerlight 1 I grew! Was really good and strong sativa without the racy paranoid stuff.. best I've smoked in a long time and I'm still rocking that cut 2 years later!

Excited to try the newer stuff too.. really like that he is back crossing and incrossing to get more homozygous type lines too, good breeding all around!

Guest FrostyColas

@Coastal Thanks for the encouragement! I'm not even sure which I'm more excited about. I definitely agree about the breeding. I've got some of Tony's stuff inbound too for the same reason, lol. I expect that will get run right after this.

I'm for sure seeing effects from my late defoliation 😞 I'm actually taking notes for once and will be adapting your schedule for subsequent runs...thanks again for sharing that info

@Trailerparkshine my intention is to keep all of my garden activities logged here. I'm not a huge social media person and not terribly good at this sort of thing,but i will do my best to keep things up to (sort of) date here.

9 minutes ago, FrostyColas said:

@Coastal Thanks for the encouragement! I'm not even sure which I'm more excited about. I definitely agree about the breeding. I've got some of Tony's stuff inbound too for the same reason, lol. I expect that will get run right after this.

I'm for sure seeing effects from my late defoliation 😞 I'm actually taking notes for once and will be adapting your schedule for subsequent runs...thanks again for sharing that info

@Trailerparkshine my intention is to keep all of my garden activities logged here. I'm not a huge social media person and not terribly good at this sort of thing,but i will do my best to keep things up to (sort of) date here.

I hear you on that and appreciate any time you get to put in here .it pays it forward by helping us at a different stage constantly learn and improve!

Archived