Boston Cream Pie in the Southern Hemisphere

Guest Serious Home Breeder

My guy at MMS sent me some BCP beans to play around with. Being tight on room available I popped four and kept three, running them under two 315 watt CMH's.

I built 1m3 of super soil over Winter and after letting it 'cook' for three months, BCP was the first strain to be ran full cycle in it. 

inbound7936850466329984792.jpg

The super soil mix, having had it tested is fairly hot, running at e.c of 3.2. I decided to add a little coco to the mix before transplanting the BCP into their final buckets.

Being high E.C., it requires plenty of water so as to not create salt toxicity issues.

3 weeks into flower and each plant was taking 3.5 litres a day (a gallon).

Part of that reason is because of the soil mix but also because the BCP is very stretchy (I had been warned) and had grown up very close to the lights so is photosynthesising at a very fast rate. 

Here we are at just over three weeks. This is my favourite pheno. At this point of flower the individual phenotypes are starting to become apparent. This one smells of sweet parsley.

Check out the elongated cola. 😍

inbound2911570433426163562.jpg

Now I am at four weeks and have had to lift my lights to about an inch below the ceiling.

The BCP are mad stretchy. They double in size in flowering, possibly more. Stems have stayed very strong which I have been impressed with.

The lower lateral branches have stretched the most and with a minimal amount of l.st on the apical meristem, I have managed to have a very even canopy, without use of a scrog net.

At four weeks, internodes are staring to fill out. I have one pheno that appears to be turning purple with quite fat buds and another, fairly similar plus my favourite sweet parsley long dick pheno.

Plants are receiving only water and the occasional SST and microbial inoculation. 

inbound8018921372270190581.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an update.. 

I'm at just over 7 weeks (I generally don't count first week after flipping as part of flower). 

Been a tricky grow, this one with the soil mix I made having such a high E.C. and the crazy soil chemical properties. Been a great learning curve in regards to my soil mixes. I've really pushed this one to the limit. 

Have slowed my watering down to a litre p/day. 

Had some leaf chlorisis issues going on, due to the high amount of water they were receiving. 

Some humic/fulvic acid helped restore some green. 

In the past I've used corn or mung Bean SST'S to help restore green to fan leaves also. 

In the photo is three BCP girls under 2 x 315 watt CMH's. 

They doing good considering that's all the light they are getting. 

Some lovely frost developing on the calyxes. Will get a better photo of that soon.

Sweet Parley terps still there too. 😁

20200117_214927.jpg

Almost done now. 

Flipped on 14th Nov, preflowers started to form on the 21st, which is when I start to count bloom period. 

I'll give these another three days, which will take us to 9 wks then I will assess to possibly cut. 

Hasn't been a great grow by my standards but they have done good, considering. 

The sweet parsley terps have remained strong throughout the grow, in particular on the pheno in middle of photo with the longest colas. 

The other two girls have quite pronounced foxtailing, with one slightly more purple calyxes than the other. 

20200125_084521.jpg

20200125_084536.jpg

I’d say they are turning out quite nicely @Serious Home Breeder considering the feed and H2O issues that you had .

I think drought tolerance ( watering heavily intolerance ) is from Star pupil’s Pakistani roots.

What do you say about that @Pupilfam?

Is that a trait of most your work?

I  had a Chocolope line that disliked any food at all.

They would claw up at the slightest feed.

Thoughts on the passing of paternal environmental adaptations on to their offspring?

Interesting thought @llynboy regarding the inherited Drought tolerance, I'll be interested to hear Pupilfams thoughts.

I'll have a few more thoughts on how I would run BCP better once I've cut but what I will say is these are vigorous, as MMS had suggested they would be. 

I have a few clones running outdoors, they were put in late in the season but are doing quite good. 

Will get some photos soon. 

Yes, Star Pupil has amazing tolerance to drought, they actually do better when allowed to get bone dry between every watering. If you keep the roots too wet, or water when they aren't yet dry, this is too frequent and will cause clawing in amny pupil genetics. When you have the claw, expect your run to have lower potency, less yield, and gentler terpene expression. If you avoid the claw, chances are you'll have even better results! You can still get amazing quality flower from a plant that has clawed, but you'd get even better results without claw!

Good to know. Sounds like it would be good for guerilla grows outdoors where we can't get to water often. 

The BCP outdoors are doing good in this hot, dry Summer. 

Chopped yesterday. 

As a recap, I flipped the three girls on the 14th November. Not counting the first week, these had close to 9 and a half weeks flowering time.

Summer here and the grow room was sitting between 30-35 deg C (85-95f) day and night.

The BCP seemed to like the heat. 20200131_092929.thumb.jpg.42fc96fcb42eaee526d28d01eb9e1bbd.jpg

Guest EastCoastGreenGrown

Wow, looks amazing! 

I’m kicking myself because I still haven’t opened my pack yet. Every time I’ve been to the grow store they’ve been out of the seed starter I have experience using... I’ve never planted directly into Coast of Maine or Greentree Ultimate and don’t want to risk the beans trying haha.

That cola has me salivating! How’s the nose at finish? Any vanilla coming through on it?

It's not allowing me to upload the other closeups. Will try again tomorrow. 

@EastCoastGreenGrown thanks yo. Have you tried germinating into coco/perlite and worm castings? I like doing that.

The sweet parsley terps stayed fairly true all the way through the grow on two of them but I guess the otherone does have more of a vanilla smell. 

@Serious Home Breeder

try making an album, after you upload your photos in your album you can post away.

I believe @zoot reduced cache’ settings for pictures in order to keep the site running smooth and quick.

@zoot You might want to make a sticky note about the new uploading situation.

It seems as if there’s confusion.

10 hours ago, Ilynnboy said:

@Serious Home Breeder

try making an album, after you upload your photos in your album you can post away.

I believe @zoot reduced cache’ settings for pictures in order to keep the site running smooth and quick.

@zoot You might want to make a sticky note about the new uploading situation.

It seems as if there’s confusion.

yeah i will have to make up a tutorial on how to make an album and upload as opposed to attaching, 

attachments waste so much space because they are stored and run alongside the forums, overtime the build up and slow down response times.

Guest EastCoastGreenGrown
On 2/1/2020 at 5:02 AM, Serious Home Breeder said:

It's not allowing me to upload the other closeups. Will try again tomorrow. 

@EastCoastGreenGrown thanks yo. Have you tried germinating into coco/perlite and worm castings? I like doing that.

The sweet parsley terps stayed fairly true all the way through the grow on two of them but I guess the otherone does have more of a vanilla smell. 

Actually no. I’ve never used anything but this soil seed starter. It’s cheap and it’s worked every time. I really should start experimenting with other techniques though.

Archived