zoot

Bill that would federally decriminalize marijuana passes House committee

zoot

The House Judiciary Committee has approved a bill Wednesday that would decriminalize marijuana at the federal level. The Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement Act of 2019, or MORE Act, passed 24-10 after more than two hours of debate. It now heads to the full House.

The bill would remove marijuana from the list of federally controlled substances, allow states to set their own marijuana policy and require federal courts to expunge prior convictions for marijuana offenses. A 5% tax on marijuana products would also establish a trust fund for programs designed to help people disproportionately impacted by the "war on drugs," including job training and treatment for substance abuse.

"For far too long, we have treated marijuana as a criminal justiceproblem instead of a matter of personal choice and public health. Whatever one's views on the use of marijuana for recreational or medicinal purposes, arresting, prosecuting and incarcerating users at the federal level is unwise and unjust," House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler said in his opening statement.

Proud to announce that @HouseJudiciary just passed my MORE Act, which ends the federal prohibition of marijuana and enacts restorative justice for communities of color that continue to be devastated by our nation's failed War on Drugs.

November 20, 2019

Aaron Smith, executive director of the National Cannabis Industry Association," praised the proposal's approval by saying it "marks a turning point for federal cannabis policy and is truly a sign that prohibition's day are numbered."

The Associated Press points out if the measure comes up for a vote in the full House, its chances are better in the Democratic-controlled chamber than in the Republican-held Senate, where the bill's future is uncertain.

Medical marijuana is legal in 33 states and it's legal for recreational use in 11 states, along with the District of Columbia.

Removing marijuana from the list of Schedule I controlled substances — the same category as heroin and ecstasy — could provide access for veterans through the Department of Veterans Affairs. Doctors at the VA are allowed to discuss marijuana use with patients, but can't recommend it, even in states where it's legal.

But, there has been growing bipartisan support for access to medical marijuana for veterans. Advocates have also been asking for more research into the impact of medical marijuana.

Support for legalization has been on the rise in recent years. According to CBS News polling in April, 65% of Americans think marijuana should be legal. Most Americans view marijuana as less harmful than alcohol.

First published on November 20, 2019 / 3:43 PM

I'm just a billiard ball that's chipped and scratched and soaked in smoke and wine.

Yeah, I'm a little too stoned to keep up with the times

LonerStoner2099

I hope this bill goes all the way through!

I don't really follow politics but I really like the idea of cannabis being legal on a federal level. We all know too well that there are way too many good people that have been negatively impacted by years of prohibition over a plant with so much untapped medicinal value. 

Pot Boy

I hope this passes!  "Most Americans view marijuana less harmful than alcohol" Anyone with half a brain knows that to be true!

nexxus

Good luck guys! Hopefully your government does better than ours in this regard.

Just remember; any government solution to a 'problem' is usually worse than the problem itself.

shaggy

I would love to hear of this where big tobacco will keep hands off.

Wishful thinking I believe.

The ball is rolling, the writing is on the wall.

Methods of inducing SAR Local Acquired Resistance and Induced Systemic Resistance                                   I.P.M. INTEGRATED PEST MANAGEMENT

Do plants need silicon?                   ODA finds bottled microbes with little live organisms                          Welcome to Z-Library!

Comacus

When the fed finally legalize it, I worry the big alcohol and tobacco lobbies will get legislation passed that makes growing your own illegal.  Sort of like the Alcohol laws where we can not all set  up stills.  I hope not but that is usually the way these things go.  At least for now, it looks like they will leave the policy at the state level if this passes.

herbert

The common sense thing to do would to be just legalize home growing and possession up to a certain amount allowing free markets decide value but that would run counter to fairness and the track record of government.

i am non pluses at the fact Joe Biden’s name is even mentioned and now another anti marijuana  Billionaire in cahoots cannabis arch nemesis  Sheldon Adelson is entering the race.

LonerStoner2099

All good points people!

A lot of the stuff you guys mentioned hadn't crossed my mind... for some reason I wasn't associating tobacco companies with cannabis... it makes sense that they would want in on the profits though...  bastards 😉

ideally, I think it would be cool to see cannabis be treated like craft beer where you could go into the store and buy something special or grow a set amount for personal use. 

I would love to see local cannabis consumption events where growers and the general public could attend and try new strains and what not - just like the local beer tents we have around my area. I realize there are already cannabis conventions and what not in the bigger cities but I think it would be cool to see them pop up as often as the beer tents do around here...

herbert

There are a lot of demographics involved that many are not privy too, for example millenials and younger ARE NOT. Consuming alcohol and cigarettes as their group historically has, beer companies are hurting and so is big tobacco, they are already eyeing cannabis infused beverages and turning the tobacco states into weed farms. The last thing they want is all of us planting seeds, I’m not optimistic in the potential future Utopia we can imagine

xxPeacePipexx

Fuck regulations and government control - imagine being told how many tomato plants your allowed as well as the fruits of their vine. I would rather see decriminalization over anything, and we all know how well they were able to control the plant and market throughout the years of the reffer madness that continues to this day depending upon demographics 😞

Star plants have a universal signature ...

nexxus
3 hours ago, herbert said:

The last thing they want is all of us planting seeds, I’m not optimistic in the potential future Utopia we can imagine

Here the weed companies are losing millions, stocks have dropped, and one company has been fined for operating unlicensed rooms and forced to destroy product and had to take back $2.9 million worth of cannabis. Then there's the mold issue.

It took 3 years for the Liberal Party to make good on this election promise and another year after to make edibles legal. Then there’s the seed issue. It's been a total miss-managed cluster fuck.

Companies are blaming their losses on the fact that Canadians are allowed to cultivate with many acquiring medical licenses to grow hundreds of plants.

In reality, much of the shit in the dispensaries here is just that; shit. And overpriced shit at that.

shaggy

Who is making money of cannabis right now?

Judges, cops, and other Anti-cannabis people.

Even Ex-DEA is cashing in on cannabis.

Now that is a fuckin crime.

Spend your whole life lockin folks up for GRASS.

But now you and your cronies decide who gets to play.

And walk away with big loads of cash laughing.

Some really fucked up shit going on behind the scene.

Medical patients will soon be shipped pellet cannabis in blister packs.

Already the industry has lost hold of pesticide and other contaminants.

We can only predict how bad things will get when the real fat cats get their greedy hand on cannabis.

Also the war on home growing is very real.

On 11/24/2019 at 9:07 AM, Comacus said:

tobacco lobbies will get legislation passed that makes growing your own illegal

This has already started and will continue to grow with lobbyist dollars.

Sorry to be such a downer, but it is the ugly truth.

Methods of inducing SAR Local Acquired Resistance and Induced Systemic Resistance                                   I.P.M. INTEGRATED PEST MANAGEMENT

Do plants need silicon?                   ODA finds bottled microbes with little live organisms                          Welcome to Z-Library!

herbert

From what I understand The legalization in California has been a bust due to taxes, over regulation so the black market still rules so now they are clamping down hard in growing areas because they see it as lost revenue. 
The Washington DC model is kind of weird because all adults can grow yet there are no rev retails. I visited for a day and scored a quarter zip off Craigslist in a ‘ barter’ I bought a 70. T shirt that came with a free quarter and the buds were amazing, some Obama Kush back in 2016.

Edited by herbert

Kingfish

The war on home growing is very real. Currently a felony in NY, NJ, & CT all of who are supposed to be embracing the Canna movement. RI is next which was 1st medical state on East Coast - moving backwards again quickly. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use Guidelines Privacy Policy and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..