Hoping the weather holds for my Gooey 13 in Northern Michigan

Guest Doug58

Planted back around April or May. Transplanted outside in June. Kept getting freezing temperatures in June and didn't get warm weather until July. Now nights are down in the low 40's and frost could happen any night now. Pistils on lower buds are all turning and the sugar leaves on the buds are all cloudy and turning amber. Top buds are big so I am starting to up my budding nutrients for the final weeks. First photo plant I have grown. I figured it would finish at the first week of October. Any later and it will be below freezing. I can't look at the top buds while on the plant, too high off the ground at 6 feet. Held the tablet up above plant to get pictures of top buds. The pistils there aren't turning yet. Did some trimming to open it up for airflow and have been shaking the rain out of it and spraying it with H2O2 to keep the mold away. Live on an island and humidity is in the 90's once the sun goes down.

I've harvested around a pound from autos this Summer. Still have three in my tent and two outside but the ones outside are running real slow.

IMG_20190905_164503.jpg

IMG_20190905_164524.jpg

IMG_20190905_164538.jpg

IMG_20190905_164601.jpg

IMG_20190905_164617.jpg

IMG_20190905_164635.jpg

7 minutes ago, 3rdCoaster said:

Fingers crossed for a smooth finish .  Maybe a simple tarp structure to keep  the dew off and give her a chance to wrap things up.

Got an inch and a half of rain earlier this week and raining again today. No sun in forecast until Monday. I meant to get some plastic sheeting to cover it until it is ready to harvest in a few weeks. Looks to have around five to six times the amount I was able to get from my largest auto. I'm going to feed it some 0-50-30 the next two weeks. My soil was straight sand before adding some bagged topsoil, composted cow manure, 30 pounds of worm castings and a bucket of goose droppings around July. After all my plants are finished I'm going to dump all my fabric pots full of used Happy Frog potting soil and mix it into my sandy soil for next year.

Guest 3rdCoaster
23 hours ago, Doug58 said:

After all my plants are finished I'm going to dump all my fabric pots full of used Happy Frog potting soil and mix it into my sandy soil for next year.

That sounds like a good plan my man.   Mine are all going into a raised bed that will be getting planted with garlic in the coming months.

Weather forecast is a low of 38 degrees today and then warmer temperatures but rainy and cloudy weather almost every day through September 22 according to Accuweather. 

Guest PlantLady

Oh, @Doug58...I feel for you! Guessing we are about 2 hrs south of you, and mighty worried here, too! It got down to 35 degrees in Houghton Lake/Grayling last week, just about 45 minutes away EEK! Tryng to figure out how to best cover my entire 48'x40' enclosure with my 12 plants...gonna be interesting! Just checked the National Weather Service Climatic Outlook for this month and the next 3...please let them be right this time! Saying 40-50% chance of warmer than normal temps Sept-Oct-Nov, with normal or below normal precipitation.

Hoping we can pull this off! 

31 minutes ago, Pestrofa said:

Looking great! some clear 6mil plastic, a staple gun and some 2x4s is easy protection. If you can get a box fan under there, even better.

I plan on putting an 8 foot fence post in the ground and connect it to my fence with two 2x4 and covering the plant underneath. Should only take a few minutes. As shown in the picture, the plant is in a corner of the fence which I already have thick tarps on two sides to keep people from looking through the fence boards. 

Problem is weather forecast is for rain almost 50 percent of the days now until September 22 and very little sun as almost all the days are forecasted for cloudy weather.

I really don't need anymore weed as I have enough put away right now that would last me for years. But from the looks of the buds on the top of this plant, which are large and heavy and the many smaller side buds, I think I could get more out of this plant than all I have harvested from all the autos I grew this Summer. The most I got from a single auto was 4 ounces from an Afterthought Auto Kilter plant. Most other autos gave me anywhere from a little over 1 ounce to 2 ounces. I probably only smoke an ounce and a half a year and that is smoking a half a bowl maybe a night.

I'd say this plant will yield close to a pound of trimmed up buds. After cutting all the fan leaves off and stems, I trim as much of the sugar leaves covered with trichomes off my plants and have been drying them for use in edibles. I have a large grocery bag half full of trim right now. I bought some bubble bags to process all the trim.

14 minutes ago, PlantLady said:

Oh, @Doug58...I feel for you! Guessing we are about 2 hrs south of you, and mighty worried here, too! It got down to 35 degrees in Houghton Lake/Grayling last week, just about 45 minutes away EEK! Tryng to figure out how to best cover my entire 48'x40' enclosure with my 12 plants...gonna be interesting! Just checked the National Weather Service Climatic Outlook for this month and the next 3...please let them be right this time! Saying 40-50% chance of warmer than normal temps Sept-Oct-Nov, with normal or below normal precipitation.

Hoping we can pull this off! 

I'm North of Gaylord. This night is going to be the coldest for the next two weeks and it is cloudy so not likely to drop very low tonight. Then warmer temperatures return. My problem after that will likely be rain and humidity. Living on a small island I have constant high humidity. The remaining autos I have are all in my grow tent in a pole barn except one which will go inside as soon as I harvest one more in the tent.

Local weather yesterday said that frost was possible but then it got cloudy so temperatures stayed high.

Guest Pestrofa

I think you'll be ok, one night of cold won't hurt it, and you won't even get to freezing. Might even push it to finish quicker. If you do lose some to bud rot, just remember you've got a TON of buds to pick through, and you'll likely end up with waaaaay more than you need, even if you have to toss some. Big plants are insurance against loss of yield.

On 9/8/2019 at 12:31 PM, Pestrofa said:

I think you'll be ok, one night of cold won't hurt it, and you won't even get to freezing. Might even push it to finish quicker. If you do lose some to bud rot, just remember you've got a TON of buds to pick through, and you'll likely end up with waaaaay more than you need, even if you have to toss some. Big plants are insurance against loss of yield.

It was 38 degrees when I got up this morning, weather forecast for clouds to keep it warm was wrong, the clouds moved out. Tuesday through Friday the forecast is constant rain and thunderstorms. So I picked up some plastic sheeting and covered the plant by putting up a post and tying it together with my fence surrounding the outdoor grow area. Just big enough to cover the plant 6' x 6'x 6 ' with a slope. The sides along the fence already have heavy brown tarps on them.

Was only able to pick up 4 mil opaque sheeting at the local hardware. It looks like it would block the light, my light meter is maxed out under sunlight and still maxed out under the sheeting. Hope enough light gets through to let the plant's buds fatten up and finish. I think at least two weeks of warm weather during the day is forecast after the next 4 days of rain. It's not as opaque as it appears in the picture, mostly just reflected light. On the open right side I hung a canvas tarp to keep rain from blowing in from the side to keep the buds dry. On the front I left a 4' opening for airflow which I can close off with more sheeting when temperatures drop.

I sprayed the plant down with an H2O2 solution before enclosing it to help stop any mold formation.

IMG_20190909_154441.jpg

Guest knucklehead bob

Weather pattern next 2 weeks looks more like July than September

As fall advances, temperatures are supposed to get cooler. The upcoming upper-air flow doesn’t look like the rush to fall will be on in the next two weeks.

All forecast time periods are coming up warmer than average, and not only in Michigan and the Great Lakes. Most, if not all, of the U.S. is expected to be warmer than normal through the first few days of October.

Before we proceed, remember that an occasional day will fee like fall here in Michigan. The majority of the days will feel more like summer, however.

https://www.mlive.com/weather/2019/09/weather-pattern-next-2-weeks-looks-more-like-july-than-september.html?fbclid=IwAR0sjb0xfFqBkGBK2qBxc3BT5rfQP9lU9-GS8V6wCMMwY_597uyHBla_BGY

Good Luck to your guys outdoor stuff

1 hour ago, knucklehead bob said:

Weather pattern next 2 weeks looks more like July than September

As fall advances, temperatures are supposed to get cooler. The upcoming upper-air flow doesn’t look like the rush to fall will be on in the next two weeks.

All forecast time periods are coming up warmer than average, and not only in Michigan and the Great Lakes. Most, if not all, of the U.S. is expected to be warmer than normal through the first few days of October.

Before we proceed, remember that an occasional day will fee like fall here in Michigan. The majority of the days will feel more like summer, however.

https://www.mlive.com/weather/2019/09/weather-pattern-next-2-weeks-looks-more-like-july-than-september.html?fbclid=IwAR0sjb0xfFqBkGBK2qBxc3BT5rfQP9lU9-GS8V6wCMMwY_597uyHBla_BGY

Good Luck to your guys outdoor stuff

Yeah, I just watched the local weather on the Northern Michigan station. 30's last night, 70's and rain the rest of the week, 80's next week. But the weather changes to extremes here. I've seen snowstorms in June with 70's the very next day. With thunderstorms the next four days I'm worried about mold on my huge top buds of the one plant I can't move inside. I've got it covered now as long as I don't get a hail storm. If I get hail during the day I can run out and cover the plastic with a sheet of plywood now that I put up a structure over the plant. 

I think in two weeks I could harvest this photo plant but three weeks would be better. It is packing on weight and the buds are really frosting up. I have one more auto ready for harvest in my tent so I have room to move the last auto outside into the tent to finish with two others.

Guest PlantLady

Oh, that is GREAT news! As none of mine are close to finishing (sigh). Being brand new at this, have no idea when they should be ready. And with 12 different strains, will be ready at different times. The very tip of the pistils, just maybe 1/32", is starting to shrivel...so we are getting there.

46 minutes ago, PlantLady said:

Oh, that is GREAT news! As none of mine are close to finishing (sigh). Being brand new at this, have no idea when they should be ready. And with 12 different strains, will be ready at different times. The very tip of the pistils, just maybe 1/32", is starting to shrivel...so we are getting there.

Do you have a scope to look at the trichomes? They cost around $12.00 on Amazon. I have two different loupes but I can't focus on anything that small to see them with a 60x loupe. The pocket microscope I got is 60x - 120x lighted with an LED and it can be focused. Made it easy to see when when trichomes turn cloudy or amber even at 60x because I can turn the focus ring.

I've grown mostly autos and sometimes the pistils didn't even turn color. On the photo plant my pistils just started changing but not all dried up looking yet. The smallest sugar leaves on some buds are already cloudy and some are amber.

I've cut autos in all stages of ripeness, some clear, some cloudy, some mostly amber. They all give me satisfying effects. On the bigger auto plants I have harvested some parts of the plant at different stages. Some clear, then maybe a couple weeks later I will cut the rest. I think I grew around 8 different strains of autos this Summer, but just this one photo plant as the other 2 I planted never made it.

Guest PlantLady

@Doug58  Thanks for the info...never even thought that you might be able to harvest before the pistils all dried out! Just started growing, and have only finished 3 indoor plants so far. None of them were anywhere near ready until well after the pistils were dry and brown/orange. Good to know I have to start looking much earlier.

I have a couple scopes. The first one is a 60-100x, but not very useful as I can only get a glancing momentary view before I need to breathe and lose focus. So I got a 60x ActiveEye ($7.99) that clips onto my cell phone's camera lens - wow, I like that ever so much better! Especially as I can magnify the camera view up to 4x, so can see real good - I use 2x to scout and 4x to really check them out. And by snapping a pix, can study the view at leisure. Not great pix, but definitely useful!  

So what autos have you grown? Which ones did you like best? Which grew best? Really need to get some of those to play with over winter, and perhaps have a couple of my allowed 12 as autos next summer...just to make sure I have something that will finish. Have been waiting all summer for @aridbud @ Afterthought Autos to send in some more varieties to GLG. Do have some gifted semi-auto seeds...those are supposed to finish in August.

BB3XPCK Trichomes.jpg

Glad @Doug58 you're finishing a bountiful harvest. Nice!

@PlantLady there is still a plethora of afterthought selections on GLG. I sent a message to DBJ, yet, I think because of the selections on site, I've not heard back regarding other autos/photos/hemp to add to GLG. We sell on several other sites, as well. Anymore, the majority of our sales are direct as numerous members here have enjoyed our entire catalog of autos/photos and hybrid hemp selections. We sent info to you earlier, however, I'm guessing you are choosing not to go that route.  I'm sure you'll find what works in the upper North regions.

Happy harvest to all!

Guest PlantLady

@aridbud  Just don't use PayPal or credit cards and will not put name/address on the internet, so GLG'S method of using mail to order and blank postal money order to pay suits me perfectly! And I do feel honour-bound to make my first ever order from our sponsor.

(Humor intended) And it's your own darn fault we havent ordered the strains now available on GLG...the strains we had chosen sounded so very enticing and desirable and exactly what we thought we'd like that just taking just whatever is available would be a big letdown. The others sound great, but took us a month of intense study of your catalog, comparing wishlists then narrowing down those lists to affordability, then deciding who would get faster/slower varieties, smaller/bigger varieties, more sativa/indica-like, with the widest range of genetics, with similar finish times in each group, studying the strains involved, etc...til we got the final list locked in. I used up a whole notebook trying to figure out the final list! (Hehe)

We'll get it figured out...

6 hours ago, PlantLady said:

@Doug58  Thanks for the info...never even thought that you might be able to harvest before the pistils all dried out! Just started growing, and have only finished 3 indoor plants so far. None of them were anywhere near ready until well after the pistils were dry and brown/orange. Good to know I have to start looking much earlier.

I have a couple scopes. The first one is a 60-100x, but not very useful as I can only get a glancing momentary view before I need to breathe and lose focus. So I got a 60x ActiveEye ($7.99) that clips onto my cell phone's camera lens - wow, I like that ever so much better! Especially as I can magnify the camera view up to 4x, so can see real good - I use 2x to scout and 4x to really check them out. And by snapping a pix, can study the view at leisure. Not great pix, but definitely useful!  

So what autos have you grown? Which ones did you like best? Which grew best? Really need to get some of those to play with over winter, and perhaps have a couple of my allowed 12 as autos next summer...just to make sure I have something that will finish. Have been waiting all summer for @aridbud @ Afterthought Autos to send in some more varieties to GLG. Do have some gifted semi-auto seeds...those are supposed to finish in August.

BB3XPCK Trichomes.jpg

I grew Fastbuds Fastberry, Mexican Airlines, LSD-25, Rhino Ryder, Gorilla Glue and Pineapple Express.

Afterthought Autos Kilter, Solar Wind and Azure Rocket and Blueberry Jar.

The Kilter grew as a short plant with a central cola in two I grew. A third plant grew to around 57 inches and had numerous branches and smaller buds. It produced 4 ounces from that plant. They were all started and then moved outside. After a month they were all just a couple inches tall but then went into a growth spurt for two months. The tallest Kilter took over 100 days to finish. There are pictures of what I grew in Bugs seed room thread.

I know I have put away over 1 lb in jars so far. The Mexican Airlines from Fastbuds I topped once when a tree branch fell on it. I was going to toss it but I cut off the central branch that was mangled and within two days the plant recovered and had multiple branches . It ended up giving me around 3 ounces.

Most I just planted and let grow without doing anything else. Most I started in June in a tent and moved outside in two weeks, last part of June. Ones I started on July 5th are just finishing up. I didn't run my tent much, plants that were small enough I moved inside to finish where I could control humidity as the buds packed on some weight.

I had one Pineapple Express that has suffered growing slow outside and just moved inside after harvesting a Fastberry. The plant wasn't getting enough light outside after going through a growth spurt. Been very little sunlight the last few weeks, days got short fast and it has been cloudy too many days. Had a week of very little sun a month ago due to smoke from wildfires in Canada blocking sunlight.

Guest PlantLady

@Doug58  Wow, thanks for all the great into! Did you have any favorites in growth, scent or effects? Any overall stand-outs/gotta-grow-agains in that group?

And aside from that one Pineapple Express growing slow, how was that one? I gave my brother a seedling of Pineapple Chunk x Sunshine Daydream (photo) and the scents are extremely appealing to him. We haven't even harvested and tried it yet and he is already planning to grow it again...and again, even if he don't like the smoke (hehe). He wants to get some autos, too, and figure this would be one to appeal to him.

Ah-ha...Bug's Seed Room...didn't think to look there for your pix! 

I just smoked the Pineapple Express and it tasted horrible, I did drink some Cream Soda before smoking it though so can't be sure about taste. It gave a serious head high though. This was from one I grew earlier though.  The Mexican Airlines is a sativa auto. It gave a real trippy high.

The Fastberry I just put in jars this week. I grew two and one is still in the grow tent. The one in the jar gave me two ounces. It smells exactly like fresh crushed blueberries. 

Every Fastbud strain I have grown has incredible smells, nothing like the cheap Mexican and Columbian brick weed I was familiar with in the late 1970's and 80's. Nothing like bales of Mexican weed I saw and smelled living in Arizona from the 1990's through 2008. Not like any medical marijuana people gave me from Arizona and Michigan. The Fastbuds I have grown smell of fruit, spice, pine and citrus depending on what I have grown. I wish I would have read the description of LSD-25 closer, diesel. It tasted like fuel in my mouth, not pleasant.

The photo plant I have outside right in the ground is 6x6x6 feet. It looks like it has more ounces on it than I grew all Summer with autos so far. I'm worried about bud rot or mildew now though. No sun in days, raining everyday and 95-98% humidity. Going to rain for two more days. Temperature is back up and is supposed to be warm or hot all next week, but more rain. Need warm dry weather to finish it well. I'm tempted to cut and dry a bud and try it out. 

• 3 weeks later...

Still have two autoflower plants I have to cut and dry but I'm done with everything else I grew. My Gooey 13 had some bud rot in the very largest colas but I managed to harvest about 13 ounces. Two half gallon jars and a few pint jars if it. I also grew around five strains of Fastbuds autos and a few Afterthought Autos.

I ended up with somewhere around two+ pounds so far with two large autos still waiting on harvest that each ran far over the Fastbuds maximum grow estimates.

I had a big hail storm last week. Major thunderstorms. Had three plants outside that managed to survive with no noticeable damage.

The Gooey 13 even with issues far surpassed anything I was able to grow with autos and seems to be much higher in psychoactive effects. The amount I was able to grow just from May through September in my tent and small outside growing area will last me for years in smoke-able flower so I have to find other uses. Going to make hash and use it in edibles.

IMG_20190930_071505.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Shes Beautiful!

I had these as well. I live in Muskegon county and was growing them guerrilla style in a creek bottom. Rains in early September rotted mine but had one that smelled like strong lime that was 7' 4" planted in the ground. seeing her rot was heart breaking. Yours is beautiful and I hope she turns out spectacular! I did end up with some small immature buds that didn't rot and they were straight up fire.  Super functional but not at all racy. I'm sensitive to that so when an aprox 6 week bud comes from a very sativa leaning plant that is not in the LEAST racy, it's my holy grail! I'm high on it right now. Nothing short of Amazing!

If anyone has some of these seeds they'd like to pass along...

Archived