knucklehead bob

Michigan becomes first state to ban flavored e-cigarettes today

knucklehead bob

(WXYZ) — Michigan becomes the first state to ban flavored e-cigarettes for minors starting today.

Governor Gretchen Whitmer has been making a push to get nicotine out of teens hands. She has publicly stated several times the importance of making sure non-traditional nicotine products are not sold to young people.

Back in June, she signed a bill making it illegal to sell e-cigarettes to minors.

She cited a study that showed just last year, 21 percent of American high school students and 5 percent of middle school students — we are talking children as young as 12 – reported having used e-cigarettes or other vape products within a 30-day period.

Governor Whitmer stressed flavored e-cigarettes attract the youth with flavor names like Fruit Loops or Fanta. Her office provided these examples of vaping products marketed towards kids: 

She called this a “public health crisis.”

Just last week, the state health department said it’s investigating six cases of e-cigarettes or vaping-associated respiratory illnesses . All six cases were diagnosed in the past two months; all were reported in the Lower Pennisula.

The health department is investigating but hasn’t identified a specific brand or device related to these illnesses.

The Governor's office recently released this statement regarding the ban: 

Today, Governor Gretchen Whitmer took aggressive action to protect Michigan kids from the harmful effects of vaping. These actions include making Michigan the first state in the nation to ban flavored nicotine vaping products.

On June 4 of this year, Governor Whitmer signed Senate Bills 106 and 155, which clarify that it is illegal to sell e-cigarettes and other non-traditional nicotine products to minors. In her signing message to the Legislature, Governor Whitmer criticized the legislation for not going far enough to protect Michigan’s kids from nicotine addiction, calling the marketing, packaging, and taste of e-cigarettes a “bait-and-switch” engineered to “create new nicotine addicts.”

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel praised Whitmer's ban calling it a "bold move" by declaring a "public health emergency and putting in place emergency rules that ban flavors in nicotine vaping products to better protect the state's children from addiction:

"With a more than 1.5 million increase in the number of students using vaping products in just one year, the governor's emergency actions today are exactly the bold measures we must take to protect Michigan's children from the dangerous effects of vaping.
"I commend the governor's decision and pledge my department's continued and shared commitment to keeping these products out of the hands of our kids."

xxPeacePipexx

And this act of the government overstepping personal freedom is really going to make a difference! Shit back when I was a kid we just took forged notes to the store for smokes and even alcohol (times change) and even with the enforcement of the restrictions in advertising we still smoked and got supplied one way or another. It's going to be the same in this aspect with the ecig flavors which will be black-marketed more than ever before with idiotic laws in force restricting access. They have been trying to get menthol tobacco outlawed also, but the excuses are then placed upon minorities.

Edited by xxPeacePipexx

Star plants have a universal signature ...

Tynehead Tom

What they need to do is standardize the batteries for ecigarrettes so these kids aren't using high voltage batteries.

I see people puffing on thier ecigs/vape units and blowing these unbelievable plumes of "smoke" out of thier lungs...... and here in lies the problem.

A lot of the lung problems I've been reading about are from people using these higher voltage units. I use a low voltage simple ecig and stay away from all the flavored e-juice.

best thing i ever did to quit tobacco. My lungs and cardio have improved dramatically.

That said, I am researching home grow pip tobacco and gonna go back to natural tobacco in a long stem pipe and ditch the e-cig altogether hehehe

Pot Boy

She thinks she knows what best for every one in the state she is arrogant self serving power hungry person!  I am trying to be as nice as I can her daddy is corrupt from the days he was CEO of BCBS back door deals with friends always got the major contracts for BCBS. They  always had the money to renovate top managements / Docs offices over and over again, but never had the money for contract negotiations for the people that did the work. I felt bad for the single people with kids that worked at BCBS they got shit on bad he knew they couldn't afford to strike they would shove shitty deals down the throats of these people knowing full well it wouldn't cover inflation cost in the first year of said contract. She got more money from BCBS for campaigning than any other candidate running for office hmmm wonder what she is gonna do for them? I am so tired of these greedy people!        

GoodEnergyGrower

I smoked for 16 years, and quit cold turkey.   I smoked because I was young, naive, depressed and un-willing to muster up the intestinal fortitude to live my life by healthy decisions.   I do not judge for anyone smoking, but I do like to state facts.   And I do believe in clean air, and not allowing anyone to make me unhealthy because they want to be......

If the product kills yourself, kills others around you and when you throw a cigerette butt on the ground or a vape cartridge away kills the earth.....yes it should be illegal to pander to kids.....they should be illegal all together.   Time for humans to look up and take a deep breath and fight the good fight.  7 generations ahead and even further.

Just my view.....

I respect other peoples freedoms, I fought for them.   Put down the nicotine and smoke cannabis.....cannabis second hand doesn't kill others or make the kids sick.    I was a kid around smoking parents.....not cool, ruined my lungs and adulthood, all so my mom could kill herself slowly.

🙂       

This has nothing to do with any one candidate......if I were Gov, or Pres.....I would do the same.

Edited by GoodEnergyGrower

hmmmmm.......

zoot
55 minutes ago, Tynehead Tom said:

That said, I am researching home grow pip tobacco and gonna go back to natural tobacco in a long stem pipe 

I just happen to have planted some heirloom rustic tobacco seeds that I received from Bodhi. He collected them from a shaman in Central Mexico. I still have some left that I would be willing to send your way if interested.

I'm just a billiard ball that's chipped and scratched and soaked in smoke and wine.

Yeah, I'm a little too stoned to keep up with the times

Tynehead Tom
31 minutes ago, zoot said:

I just happen to have planted some heirloom rustic tobacco seeds that I received from Bodhi. He collected them from a shaman in Central Mexico. I still have some left that I would be willing to send your way if interested.

hmmmm sounds interesting. 

I will message you 😉

Pot Boy

As much as I respect others views it's not up to the government to tell me what I can consume or anyone else for that matter pres or gov Just because it's marijuana smoke it's still smoke. I see people bitching about second hand cigarette smoke affecting ones heath but the same people that will sit next to a camp fire all night burning cannabis drinking Alcohol inhaling smoke is inhaling smoke whether it's wood, tobacco or cannabis. It's the same thing we where all bitching about when marijuana was illegal but yet some feel the need to tell others what they should and should not do.. Don't be a hypocrite just because you quit. If you quit smoking dope would you tell other people they shouldn't smoke cannabis? I think we all know the answer... I am happy for people that have quit smoking the vile weed known as tobacco I truly am but please refrain from telling others what to do.         

Edited by Pot Boy
Spelling

MaxwellTurner

I also quit almost 30 years of  smoking, 7 years ago with an e-cig ... greatest thing I've ever done, but I was in my early 40's already, not 15.  Still vape with very low nicotine.  I make my own e-juice so I'm confident in what I am inhaling.  I don't think I would trust 'purchased' juice unless I was absolutely certain I knew what was in it.  The recent death supposedly caused by vaping involved a guy who was apparently vaping synthetic THC, so ... you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

That being said, I wish young teenagers would not partake in any form of nicotine inhalation.  Although I'll never tell anyone what to do (except maybe my young my nieces and nephews who are dabbling already), my position is that I've been through a lifetime struggling with this addiction, and would not wish that on any young soul ... you get snagged before you realize how hard it is to quit.  I do agree though, a law will do little to stop the behavior.  Where there is a will there is a way.

Max

GoodEnergyGrower
11 hours ago, Pot Boy said:

As much as I respect others views it's not up to the government to tell me what I can consume or anyone else for that matter pres or gov Just because it's marijuana smoke it's still smoke. I see people bitching about second hand cigarette smoke affecting ones heath but the same people that will sit next to a camp fire all night burning cannabis drinking Alcohol inhaling smoke is inhaling smoke whether it's wood, tobacco or cannabis. It's the same thing we where all bitching about when marijuana was illegal but yet some feel the need to tell others what they should and should not do.. Don't be a hypocrite just because you quit. If you quit smoking dope would you tell other people they shouldn't smoke cannabis? I think we all know the answer... I am happy for people that have quit smoking the vile weed known as tobacco I truly am but please refrain from telling others what to do.         

Hey brother.   Not feeling I am being a hypocrite.  I used to do something that harmed myself, others and the Earth, so I quit and encourage others to do so.....because it is 100% absolutely the right thing to do.

Cigarette smoke is much more toxic then the ones you listed there. 

I am not telling anyone what to do.   Just trying to speak to the maturity in everyone.  I do not agree with people using "Freedom" and "being american" to make choices that harm others.    In this case, it is in the governments responsibility to protect the health of it's people and it's air and land.

I respect people fully, and haven't "bitched" or told anyone what to do.   I understand it is a touchy issue, especially because it is an addictive substance and will make people more passionate.

Juniper smoke, Cedar smoke, sage smoke and cannabis smoke have anti-bacterial properties that cleanse the air........

1Love

hmmmmm.......

xxPeacePipexx

Tobacco isn't a vial weed, but the nature of the industry is beyond "vial" and it all boils down to to the same thing - Adulteration. Most of the tobacco sold in cigarettes' is low grade and filled with extruded psuedo tobacco and I don't doubt that the average ejuice differs in all actuality unless you really know of the source and quality unlike the typical ejuice I see that is made in China of all places.

A plant held sacred by the indigenous of the Americas and used ceremoniously as well as recreationally for eons untold. It was never a plant that had restrictions placed on it until the big industry made it something entirely different than what nature provides us.

I have spent over a decade growing tobacco and all types both for ceremony and a little recreation as well no different from what my Kanienkehaka (Mohawk) ancestors did long ago. Luckily for me I carry a gene expression that allows me to be free from any actual physical dependency. I have quit time after time without a shrug to only realize just how much I really love smoking pure tobacco that has never been adulterated by myself or anyone else.

As well I have always hated seeing cigarette butts scattered around the earth, but I am old enough to remember the piles of bottles and cans everywhere in the state of Michigan when there was no deposit on carbonated beverages like today. Now it's plastic water bottles we see littered all over the place. My thought in short, I have always made sure that I don't throw butts on the earth, but I know people will litter no matter that don't care about our planet and all of our relations- they have existed well beyond the birth of America. Everything in nature has it's own packaging, but the modern world is so behind natural law due to the inversion we see that it is actually pointless to even debate about this. 99% of our disposable word is unnecessary 😞 A crime it is, seven generations will still be the victims of this stupidity and greed.

Here's a recent photo of a Sayma (Rustic tobacco) garden I have to harvest and process in the next week or two. Some will be for ceremony and a little as well for anything else that I want from teas to even a little pesticide use..

WP_20190823_07_55_25_Pro.jpg

WP_20190823_07_55_46_Pro.jpg

GoodEnergyGrower
2 hours ago, TheMan13 said:

It's hard  to believe that we've endured a hundred years (generations) of prohibition politics and political purveyors ...

Indeed....and that is just for the "white" race here in America.   It's even longer for others ;(      All one, or none.

*I mean no disrespect, I am white myself.   just thinking big picture.

hmmmmm.......

MaxwellTurner
5 hours ago, xxPeacePipexx said:

Tobacco isn't a vial weed, but the nature of the industry is beyond "vial" and it all boils down to to the same thing - Adulteration. Most of the tobacco sold in cigarettes' is low grade and filled with extruded psuedo tobacco and I don't doubt that the average ejuice differs in all actuality unless you really know of the source and quality unlike the typical ejuice I see that is made in China of all places.

A plant held sacred by the indigenous of the Americas and used ceremoniously as well as recreationally for eons untold. It was never a plant that had restrictions placed on it until the big industry made it something entirely different than what nature provides us.

I have spent over a decade growing tobacco and all types both for ceremony and a little recreation as well no different from what my Kanienkehaka (Mohawk) ancestors did long ago. Luckily for me I carry a gene expression that allows me to be free from any actual physical dependency. I have quit time after time without a shrug to only realize just how much I really love smoking pure tobacco that has never been adulterated by myself or anyone else.

As well I have always hated seeing cigarette butts scattered around the earth, but I am old enough to remember the piles of bottles and cans everywhere in the state of Michigan when there was no deposit on carbonated beverages like today. Now it's plastic water bottles we see littered all over the place. My thought in short, I have always made sure that I don't throw butts on the earth, but I know people will litter no matter that don't care about our planet and all of our relations- they have existed well beyond the birth of America. Everything in nature has it's own packaging, but the modern world is so behind natural law due to the inversion we see that it is actually pointless to even debate about this. 99% of our disposable word is unnecessary 😞 A crime it is, seven generations will still be the victims of this stupidity and greed.

Here's a recent photo of a Sayma (Rustic tobacco) garden I have to harvest and process in the next week or two. Some will be for ceremony and a little as well for anything else that I want from teas to even a little pesticide use..

WP_20190823_07_55_25_Pro.jpg

WP_20190823_07_55_46_Pro.jpg

Don't want to hijack the topic of this thread, but my curiosity has got the best of me.  Forgive my ignorance ... Does self-grown tobacco contain nicotine naturally? ... and the other nasty stuff commercial tobacco contains when combusting?  A couple years after quitting smoking, I had some struggles with cravings (despite my e-cig), so I bought a pipe and ordered a few strains from 4Noggins so I could satisfy a craving with a puff or two ... it worked.  Haven't touched my pipe much in several years now, but I did enjoy it and loved the smells ... pull it out once in a blue moon, but put it away after a puff or two just once I've gotten the aroma in the air.  Might be interested in growing a couple plants if it is indeed safer than the commercial stuff ... just really enjoy growing stuff!

Max

Pot Boy

Good question @MaxwellTurner... @xxPeacePipexx Thanks for the info I know the commercial tobacco is loaded with additives that's why I called it a vile weed...I have been trying to quit for a time it's a hard habit to kick lol

@GoodEnergyGrower It's all good mang I respect your opinion...

Edited by Pot Boy
Add content..

TheMan13
20 hours ago, GoodEnergyGrower said:

Indeed....and that is just for the "white" race here in America.   It's even longer for others ;(      All one, or none.

*I mean no disrespect, I am white myself.   just thinking big picture.

I'm not following and/or am failing to grasp your reference @GoodEnergyGrower  Could you elaborate?

Kind024

Im not a tobacco smoker, well i did for a few years when I was younger. But from my experience some of the home grown tobacco I've tried was way stronger than cigarettes depending on the strain...more nicotine and some of them give a very racy, nauseating effect. A friend makes herbal blends with the strong stuff.

I was gifted some seed a couple years ago but it all came up with a mosaic virus. I'd like to find some healthy stock to try again.

Quality cured homegrown tobacco is a rarity and worth its weight in trade around here.

Edited by Kind024

"Be the light that lights lights that light other lights." C.R. Jr.

GoodEnergyGrower
1 hour ago, TheMan13 said:

I'm not following and/or am failing to grasp your reference @GoodEnergyGrower  Could you elaborate?

On 9/5/2019 at 11:39 AM, TheMan13 said:

It's hard  to believe that we've endured a hundred years (generations) of prohibition politics and political purveyors ...

@TheMan13  I took your original post saying  "we've endured a hundred years" and took it wrong I do believe.   I believe you are talking about the cannabis community and the cannabis prohibition.....I took it different at the time.

I took it to far, and took the "we" as the human race and "a hundred years" as just the passed one hundred years here in america.......

I was in a big argument in a public place yesterday, sticking up for someone getting harassed by confederate flag wearing people saying racist and sexist things, and I had race/gender issues on the brain.  

So sorry for any confusion 🙂

If anyone wants to talk equality and living as earthlings, I will take it to another thread..

hmmmmm.......

xxPeacePipexx
On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:30 PM, MaxwellTurner said:

Don't want to hijack the topic of this thread, but my curiosity has got the best of me.  Forgive my ignorance ... Does self-grown tobacco contain nicotine naturally? ... and the other nasty stuff commercial tobacco contains when combusting?  A couple years after quitting smoking, I had some struggles with cravings (despite my e-cig), so I bought a pipe and ordered a few strains from 4Noggins so I could satisfy a craving with a puff or two ... it worked.  Haven't touched my pipe much in several years now, but I did enjoy it and loved the smells ... pull it out once in a blue moon, but put it away after a puff or two just once I've gotten the aroma in the air.  Might be interested in growing a couple plants if it is indeed safer than the commercial stuff ... just really enjoy growing stuff!

Max

Indeed Nicotine is a natural alkaloid of the tobacco plant family. It does range in percentage from type to type with the typical air or flue and smoke cured having around 1-3% nicotine content depending upon the processing methods and a few other variables that effect that the finished products nicotine content. The plants in my photos are the strongest of all of the types with around 10% nicotine content. ✌

xxPeacePipexx
22 hours ago, Pot Boy said:

Good question @MaxwellTurner... @xxPeacePipexx Thanks for the info I know the commercial tobacco is loaded with additives that's why I called it a vile weed...I have been trying jiu to quit for a time it's a hard habit to kick lol

@GoodEnergyGrower It's all good mang I respect your opinion...

It's all good 😊 and I totally understand. You can buy tobacco leaf tax free and without all of the additives at prices unbelievable in comparison with anything taxed. Only catch is it's whole and considered as a agricultural product. Without the additives its a lot easier to quit and you'll smoke much less.. Wholeleaftobacco - for anyone interested.https://wholeleaftobacco.com/

Edited by xxPeacePipexx

Blake

Quit smoking too many times to count, finally successful when our first born came along. That was the extra motivation I needed to get past the times when my resolve weakened, did not want to blow smoke in the kid's face. Have not smoked tobacco since 1982 and am far healthier in every respect for it. Developed a violent allergy to tobacco in my 30's and now avoid it like the plague, carry a puffer with me at all times. For this reason I appreciate the many smoke free zones created in our public places. Having said all that it is person's personal choice whether they wish to smoke or not. The kicker to all this is understanding that nicotine is the single most addictive substance we can play with. The additives only make it more unhealthy, I always use a pipe because the paper burning gives me an instant asthma attack. As mentioned, legislation may make the politicians look like they are doing something but kids are going to find ways to check stuff out. I started smoking cannabis (mostly hash) when I was 15 like most of my buddies, drinking and cigarettes about the same time. Let the party begin. Most of us survived (not all) and we went on to productive lives. Legislation had nothing to do with these choices. Tobacco companies profiting from getting kids hooked on nicotine is not something to promote. Freedom of choice trumps all in my books and therein lies the conundrum. How to save kids from themselves?? Ultimately it is up to the parents or whoever these kids wish to learn from, I guess.

knucklehead bob

spacer.png

Cigarette smoking causes about one of every five deaths in the United States each year.1,6 Cigarette smoking is estimated to cause the following:1

More than 480,000 deaths annually (including deaths from secondhand smoke)

278,544 deaths annually among men (including deaths from secondhand smoke)

201,773 deaths annually among women (including deaths from secondhand smoke)

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/health_effects/tobacco_related_mortality/index.htm

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use Guidelines Privacy Policy and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..