knucklehead bob

Expect 'High-End' Recreational Pot Shops To Open In Michigan Next Year

knucklehead bob

With legal pot shops coming soon to Michigan, what should consumers expect?

Starting as soon as early 2020, anyone over 21 will be able to walk into a marijuana store and buy joints, edibles and other marijuana products for the first time.

While there are still many questions to be answered as the recreational pot business takes shape, such as financing and zoning, Josh Hovey of the Michigan Cannabis Industry Association says Michiganders should anticipate "high-end" marijuana "experiences" across the state. 

"If you go to any of the stores in Washington or Colorado or even Las Vegas, you're treated almost like you would be at an Apple store," he told WWJ Newsradio 950's Dan Jenkins. "You're greeted at the front, you're gonna show your ID and you're gonna be led into the room and walked through a variety of products in a very well-lit, professionally designed storefront."

Hovey said each store will have a "budtender" who will help pot shoppers find exactly what they want.

"It would be more like walking into a fine wine store is what you're going to think about," Hovey explained. "If you're going to ask your wine vendor for a Cabernet with certain flavors or something like that, you're going to be able to talk to the employees at the dispensary and they're going to be able to tell you the flavor profile, the type of experience you might have with the product; whether it's relaxation or creativity or whatever you're going for."

Hovey said all of the products will be labeled with potency levels, much like alcohol. 

It's a lot more complex, he said, than just walking in and requesting some weed.

"You're going to want to talk to your budtender at any of these dispensaries and make sure you're asking them questions. They're all very knowledgeable," he said. "So if you're looking for a head high, a body buzz or things like that, or if you're looking to just relax, they'll be able to recommend a specific product for you and help guide you through what might be the best for your experience."

Since December 6, 2018, it has been legal for Michigan residents and visitors to have up to 2.5 ounces (71 grams) of marijuana on them and up to 10 ounces (284 grams) at home, but stores have not yet opened as regulators continue to work on licensing. The sales will be taxed, 10 percent on top of the six percent sales tax, with the tax dollars going to schools, roads and cities where the sales take place.

Those concerned that these fancy shops sound expensive should note that the law also allows residents to grow up to 12 plants in their homes.

It remains illegal to use marijuana in a public place or to drive under the influence. 

https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com/articles/expect-high-end-pot-shops-open-michigan-next-year?fbclid=IwAR0kGg43sVLGgjijhyf36e1UywuyJb-zUpovOmiYuEO2ZPUByF_o_uPtKIQ

imiubu

This is so laughable.  Unless there are a TON of changes made since last I checked out our "pot shops".

1st. and foremost... budtenders don't know shit.

Weed is mids at best.  Kept in large (clear) jars that ppl stick their noses in ... + how many pair of hands reach in there regularly?

Busting up the buds that are kept without humidity control and all exposed to light.

Bah, so very glad 'I know a guy' 😉

Pot Boy

@imiubu People in the know, know where the good MJ is! It shure ain't in a "pot shop" regulated by the government.. That shit that the " pot shops" sell is low grad swag...lol

GoodEnergyGrower
1 hour ago, imiubu said:

This is so laughable.  Unless there are a TON of changes made since last I checked out our "pot shops".

1st. and foremost... budtenders don't know shit.

Weed is mids at best.  Kept in large (clear) jars that ppl stick their noses in ... + how many pair of hands reach in there regularly?

Busting up the buds that are kept without humidity control and all exposed to light.

Bah, so very glad 'I know a guy' 😉

In Colorado, budtenders used to be the growers and people who knew about the plant......before I left, most of the budtenders were highly sexualized young people selling horrible herbs.........

...........lol, welcome to the new age ;(

hmmmmm.......

Bugman

im glade i grow my smoke, because most around here cant grow worth a shit [mostley outdoors stuff] but there R a few good growers around[indoor growers] you know who you R :smoking-a-joint-smiley-emoticon:

Ichabod Crane

I am not the best grower but my shit is better than most around here.  Most of the crap around here is destroyed as soon as they start drying it.  People just dont know how to maintain the smell and make it a smooth smoke it seems.

Ichabod Crane

I dropped some smoke off to the people who use to have a dispensary this week end and again they said in the entire time since they opened 7 years ago my stuff was the best they had by far.  Again I am not the best grower.  But this gives me little hope that anything at the dispensaries will be any good let alone high quality.

I do know mine is better than a lot of the stuff around here but I still have room to make it better.  

ILTerpGeek

I am actually jealous of Michigian's system. While you can find great product in the Illinois shops, you really have to look and know your stuff. Right now I am enjoying some really good Rosin of RudeBoi OG (Face-Off x Irene)

Doug58
12 hours ago, Ichabod Crane said:

I dropped some smoke off to the people who use to have a dispensary this week end and again they said in the entire time since they opened 7 years ago my stuff was the best they had by far.  Again I am not the best grower.  But this gives me little hope that anything at the dispensaries will be any good let alone high quality.

I do know mine is better than a lot of the stuff around here but I still have room to make it better.  

For the last year I was smoking two strains of medical marijuana someone gifted me from an Arizona dispensary. Purple Trainwreck and Cannatonic is what they were labeled. Smelled like the 1970's Mexican I smoked as a teen. Couch lock after every smoke. They also caused my arthritis pain to increase.

This is the first time I've ever grown anything but tomatoes. I've grown about 10 different strains this Summer and have jarred up close to a pound so far. I can't believe the smell that comes out of the jars when I open them. Like no weed I've ever smelled. One is an overpowering smell of fresh blueberries and the buds are so dark purple they are almost black.

Others are spicey, fruity, peppery or citrus and pine. I don't even recognize the smells as marijuana.

I know that harvesting at different stages will give you different effects but none has given me the couch lock can't move feeling. Also, no increase in pain from my homegrown. Haven't smoked them all yet but some plants I would harvest some off it at one point and then harvest some more up to a week later to let it ripen more.

So far all the townships in the counties around me have blocked any retail facilities from getting zoned for selling marijuana. I just wanted to be able to check them out. I don't need to buy commercial weed. First time grower and already have about a pound jarred up. After this Summer I won't have to grow any for years unless I start giving it all away. I've got more on hand right now than I have smoked in a lifetime. I don't think the state of Michigan is going to make much in tax revenue with their slow rollout and communities banning retail sales.

Michigan blew their chance with this slow motion roll out of licensing. Illinois will likely beat them the way things are going.

Ichabod Crane

Grow more than you need.  I give it away all the time to people in need.  My sister gets a ounce a month for her RA plus I trade a ounce for CBD oil for her.  The stuff I get is made in a lab in Florida by pharmacist.  So she gets about 2 ounces a month.  And you never know when someone you know will get cancer and need some Simpson oils.  I have done this 3 times now for people.

Just grow it since there really is no limit on how much you can have if you stay under the plant count.  You can exceed the limit with just one plant and you are OK.

Doug58

I've had four family member die of cancer. Basically only two other family members left. I'm living in Michigan after returning from Arizona to help my father who had cancer and died in 2017, sister went into hospital a week before my father died and she went into a coma the same day, the doctor didn't get a chance to even tell her she had stage four lung cancer before she died a day or two later. Nobody else I really know lives in Michigan anymore. Sold my house in Arizona and basically stuck here until his estate is settled, found out someone was embezzling from him as he was dying and took $250,000 in cash from his accounts, she was prosecuted previously for embezzlement from a county jail. Local and state police would do nothing when I reported she had embezzled again.

Ichabod Crane

I trade weed also to get things done at my brothers.  He is disabled and does not have very good balance anymore.  I also traded some for ladders this week.  You never know what you can get done for some smoke.  So I try to keep some around just because you never know when you could trade it for some thing.  I mean I trade it for clean up at my job sites with a little cash.  Stuff comes in handy in the weirdest ways.

Bugman

i give away about 25% of my grow to frinds in need, & sell or trade about 10% leaving me with about 65%

ILTerpGeek

See Michigan is more open to smaller producers right now. The guy with a 10 lighter that is giving his plants tons of love is going to produce better quality product then the large grows. Don't get me wrong, you can find quality in the Illinois stores but you really really really have to know your stuff. Most consumers don't. So when I shop I look at a few different things (this is at Illinois stores)

1. Price and Producer  - Does the price match the product... is it a decent price for a gram of concentrate or an 1/8th. If its a producer with a good track record and the genetics are good I will consider it

2. Genetics - Have I tried this before and did I like it? If yes and I know the producer is good then there is a good chance I will grab it. If not I look at if its an "Illinois breeding project" or something that is established. There are a lot of Illinois producers essentially selling us their pheno hunts.

3. Form - If its been processed I will pay a bit more.

Of course the price has to be right or I will skip it. This often leaves me with around 10-20 products to choose from.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use Guidelines Privacy Policy and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..