LAB OF JAWS !!..

JAWS

yes sir my friends just pretty much trying to be as SAFE as i can here seeing i have never dealt with leds before. all advice and info is wanted/needed for-sure.

the dimmable is something i'm really really liking once i get going and learn more that will be a huge help as how i grow with these light's and how i need to start retraining my brain to under them as well. i'm use to a bars hanging bulb that i can just grow 6 foot plant's 360 degrees in this tent, going to need to start doing more topping and keeping things a bit shorter to get the full usage from this system.

going to be fun learning  ..

• Like 4

That 2' above the light is for running full power with no air movement on the light.

Heat is the #1 killer of electronics so they recommend that clearance to allow heat dissipation. You can run em closer as long as there's airflow between the light and ceiling. I highly doubt it would ever get hot enough to start a fire unless it caught fire somehow. Getting rid of the heat prolongs the life of the light.

3 hours ago, Cannaburter said:

Yea I have no idea where this notion of having 2 feet above the light is coming from. I run many leds damn near touching, as well. My scrubber is also on the outside of my tent pulling the air from my  2 tents with a 6" flex duct connecting the 2 tents at the top. That alone keeps the lights cool, and the scrubber and fan kick it behind the tents.

• Like 3
  • Nice Job 2
8 hours ago, JAWS said:

took and sized up the tent and looks like i have room for the system, still going to need to figure out exactly how to go about growing under the leds while staying safe. safe as in not burning my tent or frying my plant's, not going to have much center growing space and may have to stay lower on the power switch. hoping i'm going to be able to get away with a 10inch space between my tent top and the top of the system, was also thinking about maybe placing a thick piece of cardboard between the tent top and my support bars ???.

i never pulled the system fully from the box so on the up-n-down power knob is it like 25-50-70-100 or can i put it on 40-70-85 % power when ever ???.

thinking starting out at 24iches at 40-50% ??.

man this last week is going to be a long week HAHAHA, wanting to do the switch next weekend at 66days which would be Saturday, going to need help hanging it so i'll need the womens help for-sure.

going to want to center the system but that's going to happen as is because of the can 50 in the back right corner, i have a foot of space on all four sides which is great but my scrubeer is 18inches which is 6inches to much on either side in that back right corner. going to have to go ahead and pull the can 50 out place the can 66 in that corner but let it sit on the floor which will free up a good portion of that corner, will still have the 6inch hose but it's better then 18inches of a scrubber. i believe that will take care of that issue, now i need to figure out the fan issue. i really need to keep a fan in there as well as the box fan on the front outside the tent.

humm more thinking  ..

I have never seen this light in person so can't really comment on the dimmer. @shaggy has 2 of this same light so maybe he can answer that for you.

As for the cardboard I'd say no. 

• Like 1
  • Nice Job 1

I run the 3 qb288 v2 spec hlg light in a 2x4 foot tent that is only 5.5 feet tall, I've never worried about space above the light, I do have a 7" honeywell fan snap tied at the top of the tent pointed at the driver on top of the heat sink. This light is def abit overkill for the space but I love it.

• Like 2
  • Nice Job 1

yes i doubt i'll be running her fully open so that should help some and get me a bit closer to the top, also the thought of placing a 4inch fan up there sounds like a good idea?. 

anything i can do SAFLY that allows me to grow my plants taller is a super plus for me.

so i pulled the trigger just this morning on getting the closet grow to the next stage, all have been pulled from the closet toped and 1/3 as well. this will be the first time i have ever ran the 4x4 veg tent at the same time i'm running the 5x5 flower, i'm pretty sure i gat keep things safe.

this is something i have not seen in a while, BANANA KUSH.

mold-1.thumb.JPG.bc12a51571a1e29b740eb519e82e4085.JPGmold-2.thumb.JPG.fe45da78cfcc72fbe047736505543519.JPGmold-3.thumb.JPG.713dd65deb427472c89cfd92c7e2b219.JPG

strange as it may be the last time i seen this was in fact on the BANANA KUSH, this strain gets pretty fucking think and good airflow is very important when growing tone out. if grown topped or multi topped it may not be that big of a deal. this bud has been removed and all seeds from it will be in my personal keep spot and i have no thoughts of the seeds being anything but great but ya still i will keep and grow them myself.

peace  ..

• Sad 1
21 hours ago, Smokin Joe said:

so on the up-n-down power knob is it like 25-50-70-100 or can i put it on 40-70-85 % power when ever ???.

No increments just whatever. you can use a volt meter or such to test percentage.

50% and 75% are fairly easy to guess.

21 hours ago, Smokin Joe said:

thinking starting out at 24iches at 40-50% ??.

60% is perfect for saving money at the meter.

75% is not bad either.

If your plants are real small and can not use all the light go to 40%.

I suggest 40% for seedlings and new planted clones.

50% for teens and med plants.

60% for full on VEG.

75-100% for budding.

Back down to 60-75% for the last week or 2 of ripening....AKA when growth stops.

BTW

I let my plants go a week or so longer than most folks seem to.

This plan saves the most money at the meter.

If you need more light add another unit.

• Like 1
  • Great Advice 2
  • Nice Job 1

I too grow in a tent....

I have found with the dense cultivars you need to keep them dry more often than most and water them less but more often especially as they get to be thick.

Also make sure your fan runs at night, if not all night especially when they get to this stage.

I also keep a lower vent open on my tent even during the dark cycle.

Put a box or something to divert any light from getting in.

That fucker gets clogged with dirt and dust real fast too so keep an eye on it....lol

Oh and a lower dehumidifier setting may help with this issue also.

mold-1.thumb.JPG.bc12a51571a1e29b740eb519e82e4085.JPG

• Great Advice 1
  • Nice Job 1
14 minutes ago, shaggy said:

No increments just whatever. you can use a volt meter or such to test percentage.

50% and 75% are fairly easy to guess.

60% is perfect for saving money at the meter.

75% is not bad either.

If your plants are real small and can not use all the light go to 40%.

I suggest 40% for seedlings and new planted clones.

50% for teens and med plants.

60% for full on VEG.

75-100% for budding.

Back down to 60-75% for the last week or 2 of ripening....AKA when growth stops.

BTW

I let my plants go a week or so longer than most folks seem to.

This plan saves the most money at the meter.

If you need more light add another unit.

For a quick no hassle fix, just set it to 60-75% and forget about it.....LOL

• Like 1
  • Nice Job 1
3 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Here is an example of a plant that is too tall.

But this dude found a way to get'er done.

Not the same light but a good example of what I said about finding a space between the boards.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVc0zgNlbM5GVQmvZbjg3G4nL1NYS7pj0dZUaI0/

Could you upload a screenshot? His account is private. I think I know what you are saying though.  I have it happen all the time and my yield is 0% affected.  If anything you will yield more than if you were to tailor your lighting to the branch maintaining apical dominance (main cola). After all, the leaves use the light, not the bud's. If I can get better light to 85% of the leaves while letting the tops fuck off to the side and above the light it's a win win. And again, I have seen no ill effects from this. 

An even canopy with solid training is preferred, but in reference to an au naturale plant, the above is my experience. 

• Like 3
  • Nice Job 1
1 hour ago, shaggy said:

I too grow in a tent....

I have found with the dense cultivars you need to keep them dry more often than most and water them less but more often especially as they get to be thick.

Also make sure your fan runs at night, if not all night especially when they get to this stage.

I also keep a lower vent open on my tent even during the dark cycle.

Put a box or something to divert any light from getting in.

That fucker gets clogged with dirt and dust real fast too so keep an eye on it....lol

Oh and a lower dehumidifier setting may help with this issue also.

mold-1.thumb.JPG.bc12a51571a1e29b740eb519e82e4085.JPG

Im doing the same thing in my 4x4. Ocsi fan running 24\7 and 2 clip fans cooling the drivers of my 2 lights under the ceiling.

I have 1 vent open and block the light with cardboard or something similar. And YES they clog up bad, especially of you have a dog lol...knock on wood I never had mold issues even with RH in the 80s during late flower sometimes. Not running dehumidifier, moving air around and inline fan for exchange is enough so far for all the strains I ran.

• Like 1
  • Great Advice 1
  • Nice Job 1

ok so first off i need to know what you guys are talking about in terms of CLOGGING UP??..

@shaggy

your above post with the numbers looks like a good plan of action for me starting off, i'd say i'm in the teen stage at this point. a couple pics i just took.

34-10-25-21.thumb.JPG.099f02da2598feda7437609445e7f3e4.JPG35.thumb.JPG.e3bdddd7dbab5cad9cd7111b655452b2.JPG

all these were in the closet area this morning and took 34 days to get there from seed. will remain here and in cups until saturday. at that time they will {some} be put into 1 gallon containers to continue there veg cycle. not sure at all how long i should veg for mainly because i'm worried there going to get to big if i let them veg for the month i usually do.

to the issue with the BANANA KUSH pics that is not really an issue that i need to address it was more just showing ppl what the banana kush can do if it does not get enough AIRFLOW while growing in late flower.

as you can see here that bud has been removed and i will dry it properly and keep the seeds for my own use.

mold-4.thumb.JPG.eea6cebef5aa3d846335b0d71a8d4e78.JPGmold-6.thumb.JPG.1a8d206326e50b0946acdefe91da5702.JPGmold-7.thumb.JPG.f863ca3524f0f5adeead50799b969cae.JPG

my tents are never fully close ever, usually the entire lower portion of the tent is left fully open. fan's are on 24/7 had shut them off for a bit late flower this time because i was getting some wind damnage to the far side of the tent, if i had not done that i do not think i'd be seeing this right now. 1 top of one plant so ya no issues there.

peace  ..

• Like 2
3 hours ago, JAWS said:

ok so first off i need to know what you guys are talking about in terms of CLOGGING UP??..

The little screen vent on the bottom of the tent.

• Like 1
  • Nice Job 1

I took few pics and measured distance. Right now I got 15 inches between my boards and the top of the tent. I dont see any issue reducing that, I just dont have hangers that are shorter. My drivers are seperate from the board so I hang them higher and have 2 clip fans cooling them down a bit, just in case...also helps with airflow. Scrubber I put in the front now.

20211026_143039.thumb.jpg.acc607f3e523117e54d036a7297c3e79.jpg

20211026_143025.thumb.jpg.78a50d9af42419bd3b89555a7349e33b.jpg20211026_143035.thumb.jpg.23760f42a3ae3b3a5961ef17c51e504d.jpg20211026_143031.thumb.jpg.88e0b148baca107150e57623f0a12fd8.jpg

Edited by Zett
  • Like 2
  • Nice Job 1

@Zett

thank you for the pics brother, that looks intense for-sure..

ok so im going to go a whole new direction over here, been just running numbers and trying to figure out what would be best for me. as i was doing that my girlfriend said she had a thought but was not sure if it would help so i said hell babe shoot let me hear it and this is what she said.

just take out the 5x5 tent and run the new led system in that now empty space 😍 , i thought ahh ahh WTF why did i not think about doing that in the first place. sure it would be a more open space but in a closed 5x5 i was not going to be able to turn it up all the way any ways. this pretty much answer all of the Questions i was having about space issues.

i just ordered this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VWM9LGG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_RCX1FVA0R0QW3GWYW9X5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

this is big enough and strong enough to get the job done.

what do you guys think ? ..

• Like 3
  • Nice Job 1
53 minutes ago, JAWS said:

@Zett

thank you for the pics brother, that looks intense for-sure..

ok so im going to go a whole new direction over here, been just running numbers and trying to figure out what would be best for me. as i was doing that my girlfriend said she had a thought but was not sure if it would help so i said hell babe shoot let me hear it and this is what she said.

just take out the 5x5 tent and run the new led system in that now empty space 😍 , i thought ahh ahh WTF why did i not think about doing that in the first place. sure it would be a more open space but in a closed 5x5 i was not going to be able to turn it up all the way any ways. this pretty much answer all of the Questions i was having about space issues.

i just ordered this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VWM9LGG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_RCX1FVA0R0QW3GWYW9X5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

this is big enough and strong enough to get the job done.

what do you guys think ? ..

Cable straps are my best friends

• Like 1
  • Nice Job 1

@highdihigh

must have if it's out of stock now.

humm did run into an issue though, that issue would be the smell of growing buds in the open. in the tents there fairly closed off and would not be able to grow with the grow door open any more. do not think i'd be able to close it with out over heating the whole bedroom. maybe that's why i have never open grown in that room before. 

hahaha will see  ..

• Like 2

ok going to chop in the morning at day 67, close enough and seeds look done for the most part.

shots of the 4x4 which will become the dry tent in the morning and all plant's will be moved over into the 5x5. Saturday will be a busy day for-sure, will remove all the plant's into another room and go ahead and get the led system set up. will need to get the new 66 scrubber in there so i can free up that back upper right corner for the light when that time comes. once the light has been hung i will then go ahead and up pot all plant's into one gallon pots and then some into 2 litre bottles.

37.thumb.JPG.9b578429d7e721d61643a98bf61aa275.JPG36.thumb.JPG.68dbf2930e815f358112364d6ae08321.JPG40.thumb.JPG.638dff07e1135977ef238e5404ab371d.JPG

man i see an issue already with the plant's tallness there 18 inches right now one they go into the one gallon pots the get another 4 inches added to them, even with no veg time at all i think i'm going to be in trouble. for a proper grow i need some veg time in those pots or it's going to be a waste of time, not sure what to do at this point other then just do it and see what happens. i know i'm going to have some head room issue for-sure.

onward ..

Edited by JAWS
  • Like 4
26 minutes ago, JAWS said:

ok going to chop in the morning at day 67, close enough and seeds look done for the most part.

shots of the 4x4 which will become the dry tent in the morning and all plant's will be moved over into the 5x5. Saturday will be a busy day for-sure, will remove all the plant's into another room and go ahead and get the led system set up. will need to get the new 66 scrubber in there so i can free up that back upper right corner for the light when that time comes. once the light has been hung i will then go ahead and up pot all plant's into one gallon pots and then some into 2 litre bottles.

37.thumb.JPG.9b578429d7e721d61643a98bf61aa275.JPG36.thumb.JPG.68dbf2930e815f358112364d6ae08321.JPG40.thumb.JPG.638dff07e1135977ef238e5404ab371d.JPG

man i see an issue already with the plant's tallness there 18 inches right now one they go into the one gallon pots the get another 4 inches added to them, even with no veg time at all i think i'm going to be in trouble. for a proper grow i need some veg time in those pots or it's going to be a waste of time, not sure what to do at this point other then just do it and see what happens. i know i'm going to have some head room issue for-sure.

onward ..

I guess training them is too much work?

Are you doing sea of green and flower them all in the 1 Gal pots?

• Like 1
  • Nice Job 1

ahh ok WOWW so ah NO training them is not to much work.

like i have said already i have begun that already, there all open topped and have had there first 1/3 trimming done. i would think this would be a training tech no.

not much floor space to be honest only a 5x5 and as much overhead as i'm use to which is what's causing me some concern, being the led is my first run that's a bit of a concern as well.

i'm going to do my best here just pointing out some issues i see ME having as we move forward.

peace  ..

Edited by JAWS
  • Like 3
24 minutes ago, JAWS said:

ahh ok WOWW so ah NO training them is not to much work.

like i have said already i have begun that already, there all open topped and have had there first 1/3 trimming done. i would think this would be a training tech no.

not much floor space to be honest only a 5x5 and as much overhead as i'm use to which is what's causing me some concern, being the led is my first run that's a bit of a concern as well.

i'm going to do my best here just pointing out some issues i see ME having as we move forward.

peace  ..

Oh yea sorry I missed that. Absolutely would consider that training. topping itself should help already to save a fair amount of space.

I always go for chandelier style plants with topping and LST. I usually pull down the branches with wire. 

But yea if you have some strains that stretche a lot it can get tight. The Mango Hashplant from Bodhi I ran stretched 3x on me and I had to pull her sideways. Running my F2s if her now and with better training and being prepared for the stretch I got a really nice chandelier plant now. Thats also one that I took my cuts from. BIG plant. I might send some pics of her and some others later. 

And then Ill hunt through the FPOGs next. Excited for them!!

• Like 2
  • Nice Job 1

yup the tying will come into play as well, using one gallon containers makes it a bit harder but can and will be done to some length for-sure. i have plans and idea just not sure if any of them work so it's just do it and see type thing with this first run.

also yup growing strains you have never grown out before is also an issues that needs to be thought about for-sure, lots to do here and lots of decisions to be mad this weekend.

any pics and info is always welcome !!

peace  ..

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, JAWS said:

yup the tying will come into play as well, using one gallon containers makes it a bit harder but can and will be done to some length for-sure. i have plans and idea just not sure if any of them work so it's just do it and see type thing with this first run.

also yup growing strains you have never grown out before is also an issues that needs to be thought about for-sure, lots to do here and lots of decisions to be mad this weekend.

any pics and info is always welcome !!

peace  ..

Yea I can only imagine...it would take me lots of HRs to get that many plants transplanted and trained. Very exciting though, its really cool that you share all your work in such detail here. Its like behind the scenes of a true established Breeder. 

• Like 3
  • Nice Job 1