LAB OF JAWS !!..

JAWS

30 minutes ago, Cannaburter said:

Install an AFCI/GFCI combo outlet there and rest more calmly. That is pretty scary man. Be safe.

Younger daughter just started dating a PG&E lineman. I can vet him while he dials me in with safe juice.

• Like 1
  • Nice Job 1
12 hours ago, Smokin Joe said:

The most common cause of that is the wall outlet. Over time the heat from the load causes the clips in the outlet to get weak not making a good connection. The loose connection causes more heat and burns the plug like in that pic. When that happens it's past time to replace that outlet 

+1 exactly why I use arc fault protection recepticals or breakers (AFCI). Especially on timer based things that I never really check in on.

When plugs become loose in the worn outlet, as @Smokin Joe has said, they can begin to arc. This is one of the leading causes of electrical fires. An AFCI circuit stops them by tripping a receptical or breaker when an Arc fault is detected down the protected circuit. Loose plug, faulty equipment, damaged bearing on a fan, etc. AFCI accompanied with a smart outlet, cure stress and timing headaches.

AFCI had some drawbacks in the earlier days IE: variable speed motors causing a false trip, etc. However in recent years, the reliability has been unmatched.

It's 30 bucks well spent, and is a 5 minute install with a screwdriver. 

Edited by Cannaburter
  • Like 3
  • Great Advice 1
  • Nice Job 1

well i do not fuck with anything in that realm, how ever my girlfriends son is a do it all type of guy. he done put in one new plug outlet and switched out a 15 amp breaker to a 20 amp breaker, will get with him and see if he can find time to come up and see about doing this for me. 

do i need a AFCI outlet or breaker ?, looking on amazon and it has both .

humm  ..

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, JAWS said:

well i do not fuck with anything in that realm, how ever my girlfriends son is a do it all type of guy. he done put in one new plug outlet and switched out a 15 amp breaker to a 20 amp breaker, will get with him and see if he can find time to come up and see about doing this for me. 

do i need a AFCI outlet or breaker ?, looking on amazon and it has both .

humm  ..

Outlet is good for my purposes, as I can have it protect a very specific area. Also my breaker box it in the basement so if it trips its a PITA to go down the hatch, as opposed to just pressing the reset button on the outlet.

• Like 2
  • Nice Job 1
1 minute ago, JAWS said:

can i buy just any one of these and they will work.

AFCI OUTLET

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=afci+outlet&crid=FX6RB16TAWAV&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_4

GFCI

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gfci+breaker+20+amp&crid=30D3E29CKQF4Z&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_4

should i buy both ?.

thanks  ..

Leviton AGTR1-W SmartlockPro Dual Function AFCI/GFCI Receptacle, Wallplate Included, 15 Amp/125V, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CG8MP9W/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_YMZPBRQQTFGRTADNA7Q6

This is a better option, as it has gfci/afci protection all in one.

Edited by Cannaburter
  • Like 2
  • Nice Job 2
2 minutes ago, JAWS said:

@Cannaburter

thank you my friend, i just ordered that one.

thank you very much for the help  ..

Your welcome. Anything to help a friend and make the world a safer place.

As for convenience, if you have a smart phone and are mildly tech savvy, then this is a must. I love it for my dimmable lights let's you see how much power is drawn and you can control each outlet remotely (so long as you have internet.) It allows for a more precise schedule without having to plug and unplug everything.

KMC Smart Tap 2-Pack, 4-Outlet Smart Plug WiFi Outlet Wall Tap, Energy Monitoring, Works with Alexa and Google Home, Remote Control Your Devices from Anywhere, No Hub Required, ETL Certified, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SWZ2N4J/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_KRE7TWNJ2SWK9HF4088Q

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Nice Job 1

haha still on the track phone over here, ever once in a while i have to by a card. the women has some fancy $$ thing but she does everything on that fucking thing. every time i get a good grow off i offer to buy her the latest but the one she has now she really seems to like. me ahh ya not tech savvy what so ever anything to do with that i call the women in the room and she just fucking does it, she kind of blows my mind some times.. i have been plugging and unplugging my unit for all most 11 years now, only bad thing about that as far as i can see is that it does make the socket lose over time which i fucking hate. i may get another type of timer when i put then new led light in just to keep from messing with that socket, that socket will be where the new outlet will be going.

awesome  ..

• Like 2

ive been doing a test grow with this  Mars Hydro 4800fce it covering a 5 5 space [replaceing a 1000w mh/hp], almost dun 53 days in. im real happy with this one so far.

100_7941.JPG

100_7942.JPG

100_7943.JPG

100_7938.JPG

• Like 3
  • Great Advice 1
  • Nice Job 3

@Bugman

looking there brother, nice and clear area i like that too. only thing i see in your pics that would give me issues is the length of those hangers and support line's. looks like two foot or more from the pic's, how far from the top of that system to the celling ?.

nice garden  ..

• Like 3

24 inches i still got 6 in left on the ratchet, ill take the cable wire off at the corners [thats 13 inch of hight] an pull from all 4 corners ,i can get it up to about 7-8 inches from the celling then.

• Like 3
  • Nice Job 1

ok so i started a low feed on the closet crop.

23.thumb.JPG.a4fa4a8b9eeea861ab9f78550ba83f31.JPG24.thumb.JPG.1e0e65d513eddf28f983c9c33f9063d1.JPG25.thumb.JPG.166510e3643da85c7e6812087ae3940e.JPG27.thumb.JPG.d195213498308f4f1bbc470134665457.JPG

this last pic shows how fast i'm running out of depth in this space.

24.thumb.JPG.1e0e65d513eddf28f983c9c33f9063d1.JPG

got like 6 inches before i have no room at all and about 8 inches on either side. this is a the issues i have with every grow i do, this is a timing issues as to when i should start popping seeds in combination with where i'm at with the flowering process of the ongoing grow. looks like i needed to wait another week before starting any seeds.

day 53 with the flowering of this grow so another two weeks to go before i can get the crop from the closet into one of the tent's. would be great to put these in the 5x5 right now but when running both tents in the same small room say OHH NO wont be doing that. i have had that closet space totally full front to back with two lietre bottles and two foot tall plant's so ya i'm use to this but i still do not like it. getting closer though to finding that sweet spot as when to start seeds compared to where i'm at in the flower.

peace  ..

26.JPG

• Like 4
  • Nice Job 1
23 minutes ago, JAWS said:

ok so i started a low feed on the closet crop.

23.thumb.JPG.a4fa4a8b9eeea861ab9f78550ba83f31.JPG24.thumb.JPG.1e0e65d513eddf28f983c9c33f9063d1.JPG25.thumb.JPG.166510e3643da85c7e6812087ae3940e.JPG27.thumb.JPG.d195213498308f4f1bbc470134665457.JPG

this last pic shows how fast i'm running out of depth in this space.

24.thumb.JPG.1e0e65d513eddf28f983c9c33f9063d1.JPG

got like 6 inches before i have no room at all and about 8 inches on either side. this is a the issues i have with every grow i do, this is a timing issues as to when i should start popping seeds in combination with where i'm at with the flowering process of the ongoing grow. looks like i needed to wait another week before starting any seeds.

day 53 with the flowering of this grow so another two weeks to go before i can get the crop from the closet into one of the tent's. would be great to put these in the 5x5 right now but when running both tents in the same small room say OHH NO wont be doing that. i have had that closet space totally full front to back with two lietre bottles and two foot tall plant's so ya i'm use to this but i still do not like it. getting closer though to finding that sweet spot as when to start seeds compared to where i'm at in the flower.

peace  ..

26.JPG

That looks awesome. I love the single plant that must have just recently gotten started in the first few pics. 

Its funny because since I moved out of the apartment I run a veg and bloom tent and have the same issues, although I dont run as many plants as you do. I also took clones now so they might get pretty big, the bloom tend is only finishing off week 2 of 12 12 right now...I think I will start the FPOG seeds around week 4 or flower so about 2 more weeks. I also have to dry in my bloom tent still, so that adds a week or two on top...Growers problems I suppose

Edited by Zett
  • Like 3
  • Nice Job 1
On 10/13/2021 at 2:14 PM, Bugman said:

ive been doing a test grow with this  Mars Hydro 4800fce it covering a 5 5 space [replaceing a 1000w mh/hp], almost dun 53 days in. im real happy with this one so far.

100_7941.JPG

100_7942.JPG

100_7943.JPG

100_7938.JPG

Very nice, what strains are you running there good Sir?

• Like 1
  • Nice Job 1

@Zett

ya brother i started the seed this round at week four of flower on the main, i will wait till day 35 next round before starting the seed batch. at thirty five days that half the flower time i like to roll with so we shall see how that does next time around.

in the closet run we have these.

chem soda f1

memory loss bc1

cherry ak-47 f2 smelling very cherry right now

hi-c

gmo * stardawg

fruity pebble og f2

that's a good mix of strains and i think i will be very very pleased with what i get from this next grow.

peace  ..

P.S. got my plug in socket yesterday so i'm hoping to get that put in tomorrow.

got this unit up in the attic

4.thumb.JPG.68a68f4c84a9244a09bff5a9e0e495a5.JPG

had this thing for years now and only used it once for a day or two. also have a bigger set up with 8 bulbs but it's just to big and hard to work with i just don't use it either.

Edited by JAWS
  • Like 4

Still on the LED subject. After my electrical issue, I took the time to tidy up with some zip ties. In doing so I moved my temp/rh sensor. Rh is the same, temp measures 4-6° cooler. Its a few inches lower than before. Now I'm wondering where the ideal spot is. The net tells me there are 17 ideal spots. 

Would it be a good time to invest in a heat gun to measure the temp of the plants? 

• Nice Job 1

sorry brother i can't answer that Question seeing i'm going to be after the same answers myself here before to long. i have a heat gun that i use for my shatter making run's, i used it the other day on my plant's low medium and high area's in my tent, all seem to be with in what i was told was good to go. can not remember where i read what the good temps should be but i was with in the margin at that time. once i have my system here and hooked up i will be running the gun again to see what it says from each area, you said 4-6 cooler ohh boy i like the sound of that for-sure.

very much looking forward to getting the next grow up-n-going with the new led system and hoping i can learn the learning curve with out to much trouble, i was told that there will be one and this guy told me he's feeds his plants much heavier sense going to leds. will have to break out a new note pad to start taking notes ASAP once the system had been put into the tent, hoping it goes well and hoping i like it if so i'll be getting two more systems soon after that.

onward led growers  ..

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, JAWS said:

sorry brother i can't answer that Question seeing i'm going to be after the same answers myself here before to long. i have a heat gun that i use for my shatter making run's, i used it the other day on my plant's low medium and high area's in my tent, all seem to be with in what i was told was good to go. can not remember where i read what the good temps should be but i was with in the margin at that time. once i have my system here and hooked up i will be running the gun again to see what it says from each area, you said 4-6 cooler ohh boy i like the sound of that for-sure.

very much looking forward to getting the next grow up-n-going with the new led system and hoping i can learn the learning curve with out to much trouble, i was told that there will be one and this guy told me he's feeds his plants much heavier sense going to leds. will have to break out a new note pad to start taking notes ASAP once the system had been put into the tent, hoping it goes well and hoping i like it if so i'll be getting two more systems soon after that.

onward led growers  ..

Sounds like we're looking for some of b the same thing. I get a heat gun and I know my next rabbit hole is VPD. 

• Nice Job 1
3 hours ago, crownpoodle said:

Still on the LED subject. After my electrical issue, I took the time to tidy up with some zip ties. In doing so I moved my temp/rh sensor. Rh is the same, temp measures 4-6° cooler. Its a few inches lower than before. Now I'm wondering where the ideal spot is. The net tells me there are 17 ideal spots. 

Would it be a good time to invest in a heat gun to measure the temp of the plants? 

I hang my Hydro meter in the middle of room at plant height i do have about 8 temp sensor's threw out the room.I ignore every single one of them and focus on the one in the middle of the room..You will want to run room 82/84 degree.My leaf temp run's 3 degree cooler than the room.Perfect VPD will be very hard to obtain in a grow tent.Your exhaust fan will constantly pull all the humidity out of the tent.My leaf temp run's around 79 degree.You will know how hot or cool you can run the room by how the plant's react.My buddy run's his room solid @84 degree and his plant's love it.In my room my plant's do not like 84 dagree they look real droopy.82 is  what my room run's at.I try to document everything on my grow thread.I usualy take a pic of the Hydrometer hanging so you can visualy see the room temp in the differant stages.If you roll threw my grow thread there is everything in there from start to finish,i did the so other people could see what i did and use the info for there selves.

Edited by oldschool
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Nice Job 1

@oldschool I appreciate the time you take sharing knowledge. I know enough about VPD to not have high expectations of a perfect scenario. But if working towards that goal gives me better product I'll be happy. 

• Nice Job 1

I'm guessing I'm the guy @JAWS is talking about, maybe lol. 

You should measure room temp at the top of your canopy. I use a ppfd meter to decide how high to keep my lights above the plants so I can't say much about the temperature difference in relation to light distance. 

when I was using hid I used the back of my hand to decide where to hang the lights. 

there is radiant heat from the LEDs but it lacks the ir aspect so it's not as hot. 

What I have learned is that you can get LEDs too close to the plants without heat stress. What you do get instead is par stress so finding the happy medium is part of the learning curve I mentioned. 

As for leaf temperature, it should be pretty even throughout the  whole plant and room temperature has more to do with that than light intensity. 

AS for feeding, I don't really understand why but I had to double my ec to get the plants to preform. What I believe is happening is this, the plants are growing at a faster rate and therefore eat more. Wish I knew more about soil growing and how to fix the problem without adding synthetic nutes. Or even know enough to enter a conversation about it.

Hopefully I touched on points you guys are talking about. 

Edited by Smokin Joe
  • Like 2
  • Nice Job 1

Just wait till you guys see what @JAWS is getting. It's a beast and only 1 light (available to us) will out preform it. Sure you can beat the price and do just fine but you won't beat the performance.

• Like 3
  • Nice Job 1