Black Scratch

Guest Blake

Guest Blake

Just arrived home from town and Xmas all over again. Picked up my Black Scratch seeds and will be starting to pop them today. Looking forward to this grow as I can pick your brain as they progress. Going organic indoor soil grow. So first question: Best pot size? Will enter these in your contest, should be fun. Lots of rain the past week so good for berries and the fire season

@Blake excellent!

I'm very interested to see what these seeds do. They are untested but the parent lines have been in my garden for a few years now so I have some good idea what to expect.

Black Tuna stretched 3 times it size on average and same goes for the Old Grandpa Scratch. If your veg from seed is 6 to 8 weeks before the flip..... I'd finish in a #5 pot.... so 3 gallons of media. I have not tried organics inside and I know soil behaves much different than soilless mix so other folks may have better advice than I can offer. 

Expect them to be calcium hogs so load up before the flip

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Blake

Good day: Weather is pretty extreme here, lots of lightening but rain too, so OK so far. Then some swimming weather, as I write this total whitecaps out front. Anyway one seedling is acting a bit off. Thought it was damping off (wilting due to root issue) but this is day three so would probably be dead now if that was the case. Purple stem up to the emergent leaves, rest of stem is normal, leaves still look good. The other three  plants looking very strong. Not sure if you will be able to see what I described, thinking about popping another just to be on the safe side. No strength in the purple part of the stem. Might have damaged her during transplant, most likely cause. Still spending their daylight hours outside, hopefully for another couple weeks before stealth mode. Been perfect growing weather +20C( ~70F) most days.

IMGP3018.jpg

Guest Blake

Might's well make this the contest thread. Just took this photo today. Going to transplant to the bigger (five gallon) pots when the smaller pots are next watered. A slight problem with one of the sacred four (four legal plants per residence in BC so each one is precious). The stem became wizened and purple/red, watched it for a few days, the leaves remained healthy and the stock above the afflicted part was OK and growing. Decided to bury the wizened stock and everything seems OK, this rather than starting over another seed from scratch. They have been spending their days outside and nights inside, long days up here in the great white north this time of year as the sun is up at around four am and sunset around ten in the evening. 

Very basic soil mixture: one part peat moss

one part perlite

two parts vermiculite

two parts soil builder (Black Gold)

eight parts organic soil mix (Black Gold)

One cup bone meal

These were transplanted from their solo cups on June 18th and are starting to get going the last week, long way to go to catch up the competition at this point. Having a little trouble getting the soil PH down , riding just under 7 right now and would like to lower that some more.

IMGP3039.jpg

You could top dress some pure peat, it’s very acidic... forest fines would work too if you live in the evergreens... just sift out the sticks etc of the top few inches of nice black soil... should be fairly acidic too..

Guest Blake

Transplant day from midsize pots. Top dressed the big pots and water soaked everything with 6.1-2 PH water. No 1 is the stunted one which had the stem problem, definitely held back a little but healthy again and gaining ground. Top dressed # 1 and 2  and added worm castings to the mix over and above the last mix for the transplanted pots. They already have little bit of stink to them which surprised me. They should start to go now. The weather has been warm and huckleberries are ready :). Still spending their days outside, pushing my luck little, better get the grow room ready to go. The law says they cannot be visible to the neighbours, a vague  sort of law but this the first summer since legalization so best not to be the first test case :).

IMGP3045.jpg

IMGP3046.jpg

IMGP3047.jpg

IMGP3048.jpg

IMGP3049.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Blake

Another week has passed and not good pot growing weather. Still spending their days outside, 10C (~50F) at night so pretty cold. Still have not prepped the grow room but starting to catchup so hopefully this week. Cold and wet, so fire hazard is non-existent which is a major bonus after last summer but not conducive for pot growth. They are starting to go and smell like old time Mexican ganga. Long way to go to catch up to GoodEnergy's efforts. Healthy plants and starting to develop solid stalks. Damaged stalk (#1)  is on its way.

IMGP3060.jpg

Those are just hitting the size they will really start to take off! Bet you’ll see some decent growth now even with a bit of cool and cloudy days!

ya, some weather we are having this year WTF?

I know we shouldn't complain because at least our province isn't on fire like the last couple years but it's like a blanket of crappy weather.

We hit +4 last Thursday overnight...… there was even a local "winter weather warning" and some places higher up saw snow in the passes.

Seems we get 1 day a week of hot sunny weather with temps in the mid to high 70's , then the rest of the week is over cast and thunder storms...… like today 😞

despite that, my greenhouse is a jungle , I just pray that no molds show up because this is pretty much the perfect weather for it.

@Blake you are quite a bit further north than me but I think we still have 2 or 3 weeks before flowering triggers outside but ya never know with these dark cloudy days

Guest MaxwellTurner

Looking good @Blake!  Looks like the next 2 weeks look mainly sunny in the lower mainland ... not sure if that means the same for you, but hopefully you guys get good summer weather soon!

Max

Guest Blake

Weekly update time. Plants are showing well and really starting to go now. Finally got the girls into their suite. Still needs a bunch of fine tuning bit they are now out of the weather. The watering schedule is totally out of whack but should stabilize this week. Plants kept getting caught by sudden downpours. The insect damage was from about three weeks ago and the leaves have grown quite a bit as well as the holes. The LED light changes the shade of green, they are much lighter. All strong healthy plants with a strong pleasant aroma that I will have to deal with pretty soon or the house will smell like downtown Vancouver :). Pressures off about getting turned in for having visible plants, we have a serious enemy in the neighbourhood and paranoia was starting to get the better of me when I saw her peering into our yard a couple days ago. If the Horseman arrive now they are legal.

IMGP3110.jpg

IMGP3111.jpg

Guest Blake

Was wondering about that as I put the room together?  It is a bit cramped but a full eight foot ceiling. Thinking about doing some training and wondering about the best time to flip them? First time with photoperiod plants so that is a decision have not made before. Going to research a filter system to control odour. Should have the room tuned up in the next few weeks.

for myself, I usually veg 6 weeks from the time the seedling emerges from the soil and flip.

that is with any strain I am growing from seed. The plant and pot "should" finish around 3 feet from the floor.

Both of the parent varieties respond well to topping and training but that will also add to veg time.

Guest Blake

Weekly update time. Just the one photo, this is the smallest plant. Went to 12/12 on the light cycle this past week. Finally getting my water schedule back on track, has been almost three weeks since last watered, first signs of drooping today so soaked them. The daily outside routine was causing more problems than it was worth. Learned a lot and will have an entirely different setup next year. They are starting to rock. Thinking about trimming a bit but will wait some more. Very healthy. Spent a couple hours tuning up the grow room today and have it well blacked out now. Starting to get excited, these are fine looking plants Tom, if I do my part this could be good.

IMGP3132.jpg

Guest imiubu

Nice save on #1 🙂 

There are folks who prescribe to the idea of "food grade" plastic (BPA free?) to avoid or lessen the possibility of leaching

harmful toxins into the soil, water, plants and eventually our bodies.  I'm not sure how gov't deems one plastic safe and

another not, as they are all made from petroleum, shrug.

I see that you've recycled some motor oil containers and are using organic soil.  Some "true" organic growers might get in

a snit as this would be a huge no no.  Your plants look happy and healthy though, was this not a concern when choosing planters?

I'm only curious and care not one way or another what folks preferences are and mean no offense 🙂

Pulling up a chair  :popcorn:

Guest Blake

Those pails have been used for years to haul gravel etc. Not something I would transport potable water in for human consumption because there might a residual flavour. As far as them tainting the soil and affecting the plants, not a problem from my perspective. My main thrust on this grow is to produce a high quality plant containing a full spectrum of the medicinally active compounds that cannabis is capable of producing. My thought was that soil  provides "everything" possible while a hydroponic grow is whatever we provide. Hydroponic is a proven method for producing very high quality pot, no question there.  I am currently researching drying/curing methods that will hopefully create a sleeping tincture, and of course some fine smoking material. 🙂

Guest Blake

Did not have time to show all the plants, August long weekend is a gong show around here. Anyway here are individual photos of the other three of the sacred four. These have been on 12/12 for week now. 

IMGP3133.jpg

IMGP3134.jpg

IMGP3135.jpg

IMGP3136.jpg

Another week has passed and sockeye fishery is still closed :(. Berries are really rockin' so at least one plus. Pretty sure #3 and 4 are males. Not 100% but that is mostly my own denial. Bad part about the four plant rule, now down to two. Thinking it is time to start with a little training, some clipping maybe. What would be your thoughts on this Tom? Will pull and dry the two males and make some coconut oil extractions. Plants really stretched in the last few days, the previous photo was four days ago. 

IMGP3139.jpg

IMGP3140.jpg

IMGP3141.jpg

IMGP3142.jpg

IMGP3143.jpg

The boys have been banished to the back yard, a close up and a couple of looks at the males (#3 and 4). Going to leave them outside and see how things go. They have been outside for about five days now. Could be a killing frost anytime. In the meantime veg away ???, 15 hours of daylight. at this point and have been in the grow room at 12/12 for about two weeks.. Then they will processed. 

IMGP3152.thumb.jpg.94e1f83fc5571876e30945931651c3b3.jpgIMGP3151.thumb.jpg.9a5b9cfde5a67e2af7843873cce873b7.jpg

IMGP3145.thumb.jpg.65bdadeaff559d19b8fa98b3ffc04abd.jpg

Now for the ladies. They have been given a new look. The pots are on dollies now and a scrog setup has been been initiated. They can be wheeled in an out of the grow room. Easy to play with. The LED light has settled in nicely. ~24C and  60% humidity. No fan except the one  cooling the light but some air movement, would like to setup up a fan with odour control, still looking online, any suggestions welcome.   Started training #2 on Wednesday and did a bunch more today. Some very light trimming on both plants and they will get more attention this week in that direction if required. #1 (the wizened stem) is about a week behind but looking good. Started light training, exposing possible colas, room to lower pots some more ( they are sitting on five inch blocks right now). These are real camels, started getting a bit droopy this morning and have not been watered for fourteen days. Put a handful of bone meal and a cup of worm castings on top before a two jug soak (approx. 3L = ~3 qtsUS) at ~6PH at 20C. Will monitor closely as they will probably start using more water, still stretching and expecting some more. # Two is on the right in the suite and the girls are tucked away until tomorrow. The bottom photo is Miss Two from the top today before training. Starting to get interesting, transitioning to flowers on Miss Two for sure now.

IMGP3159.thumb.jpg.690118189a58b5d7d9b8c01a229ded7c.jpgIMGP3146.thumb.jpg.1875744dea6e031a316fa58f5290c8d3.jpg

IMGP3149.thumb.jpg.c3cf83bf1161de4c4201e8d3e4eaafd6.jpg

looking good in here man 😉

might be heading up that way this fall. Wife has 3 weeks off in October and I need to get a moose or an elk or both LOL

I'll make sure I bring a stash of beans hehehe

Archived