knucklehead bob

Alberta wildfires grow to over half-a-million acres

knucklehead bob

Wildfires in Alberta are continuing to burn out of control and have grown to over 500,000 acres in size, leading to some more smoke and haze in the Inland Northwest.

The Chuckegg Creek Fire has grown to over 568,000 acres (230,000 hectacres). The fire grew significantly to the south due to hot and dry conditions along with variable gusty winds.

Crews are focusing on establishing containment in priority areas including: north of Highway 58, from Highway 35 to the Peace River, the Paddle Prairie area, and to the east of the Peace River (north of Carcajou) where the fire spotted across last night.

The Jackpot Creek Fire around Steen River also remains out of control at over 61,000 acres.

Northern Lights County has declared a State of Local Emergency and issued a mandatory evacuation order for residents in Keg River and Carcajou. All other previous evacuation orders remain in effect.

Local media outlets are reporting that some 10,000 people have been forced from their homes. A fire ban is and off-highway vehicle restriction is in effect for Alberta.

Smoke continues to push downward towards parts of Idaho, Montana and Washington, bringing an early fire-season haze. Air quality in Spokane and Coeur d'Alene is at a moderate level Friday morning, but parts of Montana are seeing quality levels in the "Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups" or "Unhealthy" categories.image.png.34c752769168a123482c02658619a6ff.png

https://www.khq.com/news/alberta-wildfires-grow-to-over-half-a-million-acres/article_9cb34f44-83a3-11e9-b0d7-73dc296b0247.html?fbclid=IwAR0zEkDkJWKVbvsT-8PaHInF8ejgU6qvBFLYtz8iXpE_7K-ByKVfHzJVM6Q

Blake

Under evacuation order last summer in our part of BC. Getting lots of rain right now so looking good so far this year. Bunch of BC boys working that fire and it is moving very fast.

Tynehead Tom

ya 2017 was a rough summer around these parts and last year had a few concerning fires near us too.

Fresh fire coming north of Kamloops at Savona but haven't heard an update today. Normally a fire that far away would not concern me here but the Ashcroft/Elephant Hill fire of 2017 proved that it can absolutely happen so I'm watching that one right now.

Aspen
6 minutes ago, Tynehead Tom said:

ya 2017 was a rough summer around these parts and last year had a few concerning fires near us too.

Fresh fire coming north of Kamloops at Savona but haven't heard an update today. Normally a fire that far away would not concern me here but the Ashcroft/Elephant Hill fire of 2017 proved that it can absolutely happen so I'm watching that one right now.

Tom are you safe.... You know I'm an EFR.... Paramedic.... Ill take a Seriously Bad Storm on the chin... Fire... That scares the shit out of me.... If you have to Run... Please just fucking run... Burns arw the worst injury to get IMHO....

Tynehead Tom

nope we are just fine here and the fires @knucklehead bob's post mentions are in the province beside ours so a longs ways away. Heck it's not even smokey out 

The fire I mention (savona in BC) is about 100 miles away in a straight line to the south/south east from us so it's of no concern right now. 

Was a low snow pack winter around here though and the water all runs down hill from my part of the country so it will be a dry summer/fall for us for sure.

We have had very little in the way of sustained rainfall here and a very warm/hot sunny spring so one bad lightning storm or one careless person will be all it will takes to spark another fire.

Coastal

Yeah record low rains down on the coast here too.... going to be a issue unless we get a few scattered showers too...

blues147

Feels like it rains everyday here in ontario, weatherman says very wet summer here but hot and dry in western canada, hope you peeps in bc avoid the bad stuff.

Tynehead Tom

LOL parts of the BC interior got snow yesterday morning. Was chilly here but no snow for us. Just down the hwy a few K east though, bridge lake area woke up to a few inches yesterday. Climate change is real but humans are fools if they think they can slow it or stop it by convincing the tax payers to pay for it.

last week we were sweating our nutz off in blazing sun and summer heat..... this week it's back to the normal and ranging from low 50's overnight to high 60's in daytime. Kinda mixed bag of weather, poured this morning, sunny right now. Only heard one thunder clap so not too worried about fires right now around here. Guess we'll see what Ma' Nature brings us this season and play the cards we're dealt.

we do have a couple z-lab'ers who are much closer to those alberta fires so hopefully they are safe n far from the fires.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use Guidelines Privacy Policy and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..