knucklehead bob

State police prepare to crack down on Michigan's marijuana black market

knucklehead bob

A Michigan State Police unit created to crack down on unlicensed medical marijuana activities is finally preparing to target pot's black market.

The Marihuana and Tobacco Investigation Section spent roughly its first full year of existence enforcing the tobacco tax and conducting background checks on applicants applying for a state medical marijuana facility license.

Now the 40 detectives and civilian analysts across the state will begin addressing illegal marijuana operations while continuing to aid the Marijuana Regulatory Agency in the licensing process.

The promised enforcement comes none too soon for licensed marijuana businesses, which have complained about facing unfair, illegal competition. Since the state legalized recreational marijuana in November, several unlicensed facilities have sprouted up without even trying to get licensed, said Detective 1st Lt. Chris Hawkins, commander for the section.

Marijuana plants are harvested at Green Peak Industries LLC's original grow facility on Jolly Road in Lansing. (Photo: Green Peak Industries LLC)

Unlicensed facilities and others that have operated temporarily during the transition to a licensed market have caused headaches for legitimate businesses such as Green Peak Industries, one of the state’s largest licensed medical marijuana businesses.

“It’s unclear where the black market ends and where the licensed industry begins at this point,” said Joe Neller, a spokesman for Green Peak. “The state should do everything to help law enforcement understand who’s legal and licensed and who’s not.”

From unlicensed facilities to “gifted” marijuana to unsanctioned home deliveries, the State Police has its work cut out for it as the growing regulated market gains firmer footing in the shifting industry.

“It’s a little more sophisticated black market now that holds itself out as legitimate business,” Hawkins said.

The tasks ahead

The Marihuana and Tobacco Investigation Section already is working with some local prosecutors to investigate illegal operators, which Hawkins sees as an impediment to the regulated market. The group has yet to charge any individuals in large part because there wasn’t a regulated standard to which the state could hold facilities.

BY CHARLES SCHWAB

You Deserve a Firm That You Can Count On

See more →

With more than 150 licensed medical marijuana facilities and the last of the state’s temporary facilities expected to be largely resolved by June, the section finally is delving into black market enforcement.

The section also is examining ways to stop marijuana gifting, a way to purchase recreational pot before the rules are complete for adult use and the licensed recreational market is running.

“We see businesses out there that are selling a $10 box of chocolates for $50 and with that you’re getting 2 to 3 grams of marijuana,” Hawkins said. “To say that these businesses are exploiting a loophole is giving them a little more credit than they deserve.”

Buy Photo

Utopia Gardens General Manager Donnell Cravens, left, makes a delivery to medical-marijuana patient Rashon Massey at his home on Van Dyke near Agnes in Detroit. (Photo: Todd McInturf, The Detroit News)

Unlicensed home delivery is another problem.

The state allows licensed provisioning centers to obtain permissions to make home deliveries. But the process is highly regulated, and the first provisioning center received permission last week to do deliveries. 

Still, a week ago, Weedmaps included 205 marijuana delivery options available to Michiganians, said Stu Carter, owner and CEO for Utopia Gardens in Detroit. Utopia Gardens was one of the first to obtain home delivery approvals, a service Carter hopes will help with flagging business at the provisioning center.

“They’re stealing business that we’ve paid big annual licensing fees for,” Carter said. “This is a big deal.”

Carter wants Michigan to examine a law similar to one under consideration in California that would penalize sites like Weedmaps for advertising the illicit business.

Challenges to prosecution

Although the Michigan State Police section is more than willing to tackle the issues, Hawkins admitted that, in some cases, officers face an uphill climb in getting cooperation from prosecutors. Higher courts consistently challenged or overturned prosecutorial efforts related to marijuana after medical pot was legalized in 2008. 

“We have to limit our efforts to where we know we can get prosecution,” Hawkins said, but noted those efforts are needed to ensure a successful industry in Michigan.

“Its hard to imagine this system succeeding if these black market operators are allowed to continue operations,” he said.

Muskegon County Prosecutor D.J. Hilson admitted some hesitance, especially when it comes to remaining gray areas in the law, but said there are some prosecutors willing to test the waters.

“There are areas even within the current recreational law that provide a lot of different loopholes,” said Hilson, who is president of the Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan. “I think there are some of us willing to run tough cases that bring these issues to light and let the courts interpret it.”

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel announced the formation of a marijuana legal work group this past week that will make recommendations to ensure Michigan’s marijuana laws are implemented as intended, through administrative rules or legislation. The group will ensure the state avoids the “years of uncertainty” after voters approved legalization of medical marijuana at the ballot box in 2008.

Nessel has supported expanded expungement for people with marijuana convictions balanced with enforcement priorities that focus on “truly bad actors.”

“We are fully committed to eliminating any black market operations of legal, regulated substances — whether it is cigarettes, alcohol or marijuana,” Nessel’s spokeswoman Kelly Rossman-McKinney said.

The efforts come as welcome news to licensed operators who have tried to bide their time and resources while waiting for illegal operators to get swept out of the market.

Will black market shrink?

Licensed businesses have had a tough time competing with unlicensed operators, who can sell their product at a lower cost because they don’t pay the taxes, regulatory fees or testing costs that licensed facilities do.

Nearly 50 temporary medical marijuana facilities have been saved from closure by Michigan Court of Claims Judge Stephen Borrello, who has kept them open pending licensing decisions by the state. The facilities had submitted license applications to the state by Feb. 15, 2018, but have still been waiting on approvals or rejections and possible appeals.

Once the unlicensed businesses are resolved by June 1, the black market is expected to shrink.

That’s the hope at least of Marijuana Regulatory Agency Director Andrew Brisbo, who told a Senate Advice and Consent Committee this month he envisions licensed marijuana will eventually cost less than black market pot. A successful regulated market, Brisbo said, will lead to the shriveling of illegal operators.

“If we set up a normalized regulated market where there are recognized products that consumers can rely on as being safe and consistent," he said, "I think that will draw people into that market.”

But legal operators like Carter don't expect much relief unless the state sets and enforces solid rules for cracking down on shady businesses. 

“Greed works every time unless you put some laws in place,” Carter said. “I’m not asking the police to do any storm trooper breaking down the doors. I’m looking at an administrative law that would just put pressure” on bad actors.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/05/15/state-police-crack-down-michigan-marijuana-black-market/1141229001/?fbclid=IwAR2BqU-bCGfbwSeSqgJ23Rs1SBsjS4-XvCTzLUdL_WXlE_rwR80XqI3jij4

shaggy

So do you get jail time for illegal weed in a legal state?

I thought legal weed was supposed to end prison time for cannabis?

Methods of inducing SAR Local Acquired Resistance and Induced Systemic Resistance                                   I.P.M. INTEGRATED PEST MANAGEMENT

Do plants need silicon?                   ODA finds bottled microbes with little live organisms                          Welcome to Z-Library!

Tynehead Tom
25 minutes ago, shaggyballs said:

So do you get jail time for illegal weed in a legal state?

I thought legal weed was supposed to end prison time for cannabis?

north and south of the border, those we elect to govern us are doing nothing more than coddling us like sheep. It is in it's extreme the more localized the elected officials are.

Up here above the 49 100's of thousands of would be weed growers are planting seeds and clones both indoors and out since weed and growing 4 plants per household became "legal". Yet every seed, clone, plant and harvest is ripe to be busted under much more draconian criminal charges than ever existed before weed became legal. On top of that local governments are passing laws regarding property seizure and forfeiture if they even suspect you are involved in receiving proceeds of crime.

Got more than 4 plants on your property and you own or have a mortgage on your home...… subject to seizure and forfeiture ….. same goes for the car loans and any other valuables you have.

problem is...… there is virtually no legal way to buy clones or seeds in Canada. Apparently there are a handful of legal sources back east but no one seems to know much of anything about sourcing from these government licensed places that sell some generic seed or clone stock. You aren't getting anything close to what any of us consider "quality cannabis".

So it sets up the entire cannabis community for persecution , prosecution and forfeiture of everything we work hard for.

same shit going on everywhere in north America like some big string puller is trying to guide all north American juristictions into the cannabis monopoly.

Stewart169

Its only going to get worse. I have said as others have as big business gets into the cannabis industry they will "donate" to more and more of the right people and the law enforcement and pols on levels to attack the black market. When it goes national and REALLY big pharma and liquor players have millions and millions at stake the DEA will be more vicious and ruthless than ever in the past due to the proper "donations" being made to the national level pols. Then laws will be re written to squeeze out anyone who can help home personal growers like seed companies and clones. Then they will start looking at business's that sell items for growing up to and including Amazon. I would not be surprised that in 10-15 years black market growers have it tougher than now in illegal states. I hope Im wrong but greed drives everything.  

GreenDave

So please clarify for me 

what makes it a recreational or a black market grow?

i live in Michigan I thought I can grow up to 12 plants including any rooted plant legally 

as long as I’m not selling it is a personal use wouldn’t they have to show that I sold it to make it a black market grow?

im sorry but legal is legal to me

not everyone will grow that smokes 

people are lazy , you don’t just throw a seed in the ground and poof you have a pound of dope to smoke 

it takes a lot of hard work and know how to grow good smoke

Most people would rather buy a pack of joints then put in the work and love of growing 

just my 2 cents

Pot Boy

If the dispensary's would stop growing / selling shit product producing quality over quantity then you may see a drop in the black market. The prices are ridiculous as well I have seen prices of $5-600.00 a zip for a shit product is outrageous price gouging! The black market will never go away..    

xxPeacePipexx

If there's ever been a time for everyone and anyone to grow, it's here and now and not just cannabis. Anyone who is going to place their faith in the system and big corporation's are going to find themselves without, like the masses unprepared for the worldwide food shortages in the near future due to this global pandemic and the climate changes. Those big Corp grows can't be tendered to now in the long run and finished with automation no matter the schematics, due to the sheer volume and mass these bastard's intended to grow and flood the market with this year! Its only a matter of time before the people who are deemed necessary begin to fall and resist the demand while finding safety for themselves and their own.

Saw a state cop just today and I could sense his fear and he really was looking like a hamster in a ball driving around the little town here unlike the typical routine here where they entrap the people makeing mad revenue for the state  while taking advantage of the poverty struck residents here. 

Star plants have a universal signature ...

crownpoodle

Local Law enforcement where I am isn't dealing with anything that's not 100% necessary. I'm thinking they're going to be on this MO for a long time. Longer than the WH is telling me that's for sure. I've an idea that what I'm experiencing right now will be my norm for quite some time. I'm seriously thinking about how big I go. It would probably make sense to think about planting a bunch of vegies as well. 

GreenDave

I’ll grow my veggies out side 

xxPeacePipexx

Best to get seed for the food crops fast as they are being deemed "unecesscary" in some stores and places, and the online providers are limited while some have closed down like that infamous Seedsavers had to do recently. 

Star plants have a universal signature ...

GreenDave

Good idea

crownpoodle

2 hours ago, GreenDave said:

I’ll grow my veggies out side 

Right now I grow everything outside. No "mitten growers" in the 805. Love my dirt, flip-flops, shorts and sunshine!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use Guidelines Privacy Policy and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..