Shiskaberry IBL

Tynehead Tom

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took the Shiska , LMZ and C4 plants down from the drying room to snip off all the seeded branches and it is a strong seed set. Seeds were falling out as I was trimming the buds into a big glass bowl. 🙂

I'll take some pics when I'm done with trim jail LOL

in this batch I did:

Shiskabah #2 x C4

C4 F2

LMZ F2 - I used 4 females and 2 males for this F2. Keeping the batches separate but I think this will really open the line up for a variety of phenotypes.

there's more to do but the next crosses will be done inside over winter 

51 minutes ago, aridbud said:

Hey Tynehead- is the C4 the Cotton Candy/ Shish? 

We're growing a hemp strain (P3...purple pistil pheno) which is C4 x Golden Cherry.

Sounds like an awesome duo!

The C4 beans I used were original Chimera C4. I went thru 5 or 6 packs I snapped up from seedbay while I was at IC and selected the ones that most represented the Shiskaberry I remember. Only one male fit the bill in the end and I only used one of the 3 girls as one had the wrong smell at week 4 and the other popped some ball sacks in week 3 so those two were culled out as final selection got me down to one girl and one boy. 

I want to hunt those for shiskaberry traits and eventually recombine with my shisk line.

My goal is in the end is identify and isolate the traits I am after in the shiskabah, C4 and LMZ lines and encorporate them back to my 1998 female.

Can't all be done all willy nilly and recombinations can't take place until the very best representations are found.

Out of the 6 selected LMZ females that started this run, only 4 made it past week 3. Of the 4 that remained, LMZ phenos of Shiskaberry "yellow" and shiskaberry "red" were pollinated and the other two taller plants expressed pink pistils and totally citrus pineapple type finishes. Those seeds will be exluded from the shiska project and only the yellow and red seeds will be hunted for the shiska traits.

fun stuff 🙂

I want Shiskaberry perfection...… and I'm being obsessive compulsive about it LOL

@Tynehead Tom great work!   Since I first came here I loved to watch your light dep, and the fade your plants get during finish....and everything in between.

If you don't mind, what is "LMZ" ?    I have looked through the thread, and can't find the name.

Either way keep on keeping on!

3 hours ago, GoodEnergyGrower said:

great work!   Since I first came here I loved to watch your light dep, and the fade your plants get during finish....and everything in between.

If you don't mind, what is "LMZ" ?    I have looked through the thread, and can't find the name.

Either way keep on keeping on!

LMZ started with a Shiskaberry cross from the early 2000's called NUKEN , originally made by Cash Crop Ken

Ken made F2's with the fastest most berry like Shiskaberry from the original spice of life releases and called the work KISH.

He then took the BC cup winning indica dom God Bud and hit it with selected Kish male to create NUKEN.

when I first got back to growing a few years ago I looked high and low for the old shiska crosses and bought the last packs I could find of Nuken. I got them from Justin at the VSB..

so the break down

Shiskaberry x shiskaberry = Kish

God bud (clone) x Kish fast males = Nuken

Nuken x Shiskaberry 3f2(Ustad seeds)   = LMZ.

LMZ stands for Lower Mainland Zone , which is the area where all these genetics where originally bred.

4 minutes ago, blues147 said:

@Tynehead Tom said "I haven't had a tonne of time to work the LMZ, which came from crossing Nuken male to shiskaberry 3 f2 serrated leaf male."

@blues147 thanks for that....I for some reason was reading over this portion and missed it.  

1 minute ago, Tynehead Tom said:

LMZ started with a Shiskaberry cross from the early 2000's called NUKEN , originally made by Cash Crop Ken

Ken made F2's with the fastest most berry like Shiskaberry from the original spice of life releases and called the work KISH.

He then took the BC cup winning indica dom God Bud and hit it with selected Kish male to create NUKEN.

when I first got back to growing a few years ago I looked high and low for the old shiska crosses and bought the last packs I could find of Nuken. I got them from Justin at the VSB.

So...…. LMZ is a selected NUKEN daddy which I used to hit up the 1998 shiskaberry female I started from old seeds around the same time as the nuken.

so the break down

Shiskaberry x shiskaberry = Kish

God bud (clone) x Kish fast males = Nuken

98 Shiskaberry x Nuken = LMZ.

LMZ stands for Lower Mainland Zone , which is the area where all these genetics where originally bred.

Thank you graciously for the breakdown on that @Tynehead Tom, appreciate the detail 🙂

Keep rocking it!

9 minutes ago, GoodEnergyGrower said:

@blues147 thanks for that....I for some reason was reading over this portion and missed it.  

Thank you graciously for the breakdown on that @Tynehead Tom, appreciate the detail 🙂

Keep rocking it!

I actually had to make a correction but looks like you quoted me before I fixed it haha

I get confused sometimes myself and notice mistakes in my typing LOL even that quote blue147 posted has a mistake in it LOL

LMZ is Nuken x Shiskaberry 3f2 (ustad seeds)

shiskabah is 98 Shiskaberry F1(original spice of life) x shiskaberry 3f2 (ustad)

• 11 months later...
Guest johnboy

Hey tynhead good to see a shiskaberry thread again .. I was following you in 2016 at ic but life got in the way so had to take time off and gather my bearings again .. I was wondering what had happened to you .. then I was ordering seeds from glg I seen zlabs in one of your descriptions .. and I followed a link and wow .. I found zlabs 

Im planning on starting some Barbara bud from house of the great gardener looking for shiska leaning pheno ..

I see you have found what you were looking for ..if seeds ever become available Im waiting in line to buy some ..keep up the great work 

Cocosativa seems to have went MIA as well 

Peace 

I'm around, here n there. Not much here these days but I pop in when I can.

Shiskaberry IBL.... my buddy Jim is working a 60 seed spread of the Shiskabah , the first crossing I did with 98 shisk and the shiskaberry 3 f2male.

I was not really happy with the final pick of parents after I chose them based on all the preflower criteria. 

So back to the drawing board.

I am after something that will remind anyone who grows and smokes it , of the original stuff they grew back in the day. It keeps going to 2 phenos..... sweaty sweet foul fermented gym socks.... NOT a nice smell when you crack a jar..... don't even want to smoke it. All went to hash. Other pheno is all sweet pink grapefruit....... NOT what I'm after.

So I may never find the plants I need that will unlock the traits I am looking for. It's in the stem rubs in spades but the finished cured flower is nothing like what I'm after.

Other growers like @Coastal and ogtg2213 found some nice plants in those beans but I keep striking out in the subsequent working. It's getting frustrating and so far me and Jim are over 350 seeds in to searching.

At least all the plants make fantastic hash so there's a saving grace. 

I won't be releasing the Shiska IBL any time soon I'm afraid.

Yeah I found some nice ones but they where the stinky foul smelling affies I like!

I found a really nice male too that looked like a huge potential yielder but I only hit my coastal rose with him... seemed like a good line though just not quite the balance of blueberry and afgani the original had.

Did you ever find anything in the old seeds from your buddies freezer? 

Sometimes it takes a few incrosses to get more throwback phenos, but the bx to the affie must of stabilized that side.

Ya the test grows of my 3rd rendition since the first cross just didn't go where I wanted it flavor wise. Everything else is on point as far as excellent vigor, good resilience to cold, good resistance to garden pests, fantastic structure, lots of weight and ample trichome coverage. The stuff i did try was real potent and smelled great but once it got to burning I didn't like what i was finding. That said if I wanted some real resin producers for some old school affie hash ..... these would be great for that.

We'll see what I get up to over winter but the shisk is on the back burner while I have the word out looking for other shiskaberry clones that are out there.

Guest johnboy

If I remember correctly was it strawberry you was searching for ? 

When I grew kish I had a plant that smelled like body odour .. really bad.. there was one very strong skunky strawberry and it tasted strawberry it as well..and it t would start to flower when rootbound ..everyone I shared with loved it ..that what I'm on the hunt for again .. 

Barbara bud I'm hoping will have what I'm searching for ..  

Cheers 

@johnboy At this point I am looking for any and all original shiskaberry cuts or F1 crosses with the original Shiskaberry. 

I want to avoid any Shiskaberry 3 as this is where the rank, no smokeable phenos are coming from.

iirc steve back crossed the shiska to the afghan side of the orginal parent lines to come up with the shiskaberry 3

anyhow, I don't recal any strawberry phenos in the original seeds we had (60 beans in 98) and the berry phenos were quite dank with a almost melon like overtone.... which is the expression I am trying to find. 

so ya, I am seeking any and all Shiskaberry cuts to add to the work.

Also.... Breeder Steve is back in canada so I am waiting anxiously to hear of any new work he is doing or if he still holds any of the original shiskaberry F1 beans.

6 hours ago, Tynehead Tom said:

Also.... Breeder Steve is back in canada so I am waiting anxiously to hear of any new work he is doing or if he still holds any of the original shiskaberry F1 beans.

He done down in Columbia??? or Is he in BC just for the summer?  

43 minutes ago, Orion said:

He done down in Columbia??? or Is he in BC just for the summer?  

I don't know where he is presently. I was sent a link to a recent online interview.... dude was all clean cut and chopped his hair.... I was quite shocked at how he looked LOL

I met him 22 years ago in vancouver when I first bought DJ Short and Spice of Life seeds right from his hands.

22 minutes ago, Tynehead Tom said:

I don't know where he is presently. I was sent a link to a recent online interview.... dude was all clean cut and chopped his hair.... I was quite shocked at how he looked LOL

I met him 22 years ago in vancouver when I first bought DJ Short and Spice of Life seeds right from his hands.

He has been doing business from his floaty in his pool BC Canada....I know he has a lot going on down in Columbia and was even working on bringing back the real Santa Marta Columbian Gold of old....along with a million seed preservation project of some sort...peeps sending him beans from around the globe!

Follow him on instagram, he is pretty steady posting up as he travels around... pretty sure he still lives in the lower mainland and just does projects other places... the million seed hunt is really a cool idea, hopefully he finds some really unique stuff..  pretty sure he said he didnt have the old stock but I might be wrong, I know he has been more into narrow leaf types so maybe he just is focusing more on that... grew some fat leaf local cuts by his pool this summer I saw on ig there so i imagine he's around these parts a bit

10 minutes ago, Coastal said:

Follow him on instagram, he is pretty steady posting up as he travels around... pretty sure he still lives in the lower mainland and just does projects other places... the million seed hunt is really a cool idea, hopefully he finds some really unique stuff..  pretty sure he said he didnt have the old stock but I might be wrong, I know he has been more into narrow leaf types so maybe he just is focusing more on that... grew some fat leaf local cuts by his pool this summer I saw on ig there so i imagine he's around these parts a bit

He talks a lot here....

I think for my part , the shiskaberry lines I have need major sifting thru to find the right parents and it might just be beyond me at this point but we'll see.

I am embarking on a new project that I think will be out of this world..... Antenna's Purplelazerlite x Long Valley Royal Kush and the pollen has already done it's magic.so I will be sifting thru the beans from that all winter long and won't be revisitting the shiskaberry until I find some new (old) shiska genetics to work in to the first cross , the shiskabah. Still have a good 8 or 900 seeds of that first cross i did so the project isn;t dead...... just on hold for now.

Archived