Starting seed for outdoors

oldschool

So i am trying to figure out how long it takes to grow a Regular seed up big enough to sex it get some clones.Then get it outdoors.I have a limit of 12 plants i can grow.I would like to grow them as big as possible.But if i cant get this done in time i can get some clones from local people and restart the seed thing next year.I have 14 variety's of Bodhi gear that i want to start with.Here is what i have

Granola funk,Jobba stash,love triangle,More cowbell,Mountain temple,Space monkey,Sun shine daydream,Black rasberry,Time bandit,Snow leopard,Road kill unicorn,Terpenado.

I have no experience growing seeds is why im asking this question.So you know my next thread will be how to grow seeds.

@oldschool Good Day!  That is a nice list of seeds you have there.  As far as sexing a plant that comes from seed, can vary from strain to strain.   But in my experience, Hybrid and Indica plants will start to show sex on there 5th-7th node......about 35-55 days from sprout.  Sometimes, it can take longer to concretely verify this.   You have plenty of time to do such things......but with plant count it can be difficult to make sure your garden is full with females. 

An option you can do is to take cutting of young plants (even the top), root them and place them directly into 12/12 light cycle to determine sex.   There are also tests you can order online to test your plants to see if they are males. (phylos....??)   So you have those options as well. 

Once you find a female/females, and want to clone it/them, give it 7-14 days to be able to root well enough to put into a light soil mix.

I usually tell myself I have an okay chance of getting 1 female per 3 seeds(sometimes it can be 3 females or 3 males....lol).   Being your geographical region it is good to have a plant that finishes before the 4th week of October, research your strains you have and find the earliest finishers you have and go with those strains to find a females for your first season, is my advice.  Nothing is more frustrating than plants that didn't finish in time outdoors....unless you can move them in or greenhouse them.  

Once you identify your plants for outside, you can put them in healthy soil inside under 18 hours of light and wait until after last frost plus 4 days 🙂  and have a great time!!!

This is just my perception and knowledge, I am sure others will put their experience and knowledge up soon.   

Be well, 1LOVE.

hmmmmm.......

Guest PlantLady

Hi old school! I just started my first ever grow on Feb. 4, so the babies are 4 weeks old from seed. Not showing any pre-flowers yet, but I am checking very, very carefully every day now. Most are from 8-12" tall and 11-15" wide now, except for one cute little dwarf that is 4" tall by 5" wide. From what I have read, they should start showing pre-flowers around 4-6 weeks from germination. After that you can take your clones, get them rooted then put them outside after a 1-2 week "hardening off" period, when you gradually acclimate them to outdoor conditions.

I live up in the middle of the state and we can generally put tender plants outside around Memorial Day, but have to be prepared to protect them from late frosts until the second week of June. So I plan to start seeds on April 1...so I should be able to sex them by mid/late-May, top them for clones and get them outside around the end of May/early June and hope for harvest in September - since our average first frost is Sept. 25.

If you don't mind, I would like to add a question:

When moving plants outside, do you have to "match up" the hours of light before doing so?

One word of warning...don't plant too many seeds...they all pretty much want to grow. I planted 2 each of 12 varieties, hoping to get at least 12...but got 21!!! So the extras went to live with my brother. And they grow like weeds (hehe). I started mine in 18 oz solo cups and in about 10 days I had roots peeking out the drainage holes. Potted up into gallon pots, and 11 days later roots are peeking out of those! Next time just going to start them in gallon pots. When trying to keep within our 12 plant limit, remember the clones you want to take...I didn't...so my sister has been drafted as "The Clone Queen" and the clones will go live with her. Sure am glad I have a herd of siblings! (hehe)

Are you going to be growing in the ground or in pots? I cant wait to get some in the ground...I grow organically and sell at two farmers markets (mostly flowers now) and have awesome soil - so I am dreaming of a 10-12' tall forest out there. The natural soil here grows sugar maples with 11'+ around trunks, white and red oak, white pines and hemlocks with 9'+ trunks...so I am drooling at the thought of what my improved garden soil will do with these plants!

I am actually going to wait 2 weeks after frost to start putting mine outside, and keeping them in small pots.  Due to the unpredictability of the weather and seasons lately, there may be a need to bring them in suddenly due to un seasonably cold, rainy or windy episodes......

hmmmmm.......

I hear Sunshine Daydream does well outside.

There are some outdoor projects documented here at the Lab that may hold some information of value for you.

"Be the light that lights lights that light other lights." C.R. Jr.

Now i remember why i never messed with regular seeds.So if i start 5 seeds of 10 strains that is 50 plants.Then i have to grow them to 5-7 nodes high to tell sex.Can someone give me a idea of how much space and lighting i would need for that.

How much do these sexing kits cost.

Guest knucklehead bob
8 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Then i have to grow them to 5-7 noides high to tell sex

How does your plant stay up with five noids on it ? 

300?cb=20180301180048    🤪

1 hour ago, PlantLady said:

Hi old school! I just started my first ever grow on Feb. 4, so the babies are 4 weeks old from seed. Not showing any pre-flowers yet, but I am checking very, very carefully every day now. Most are from 8-12" tall and 11-15" wide now, except for one cute little dwarf that is 4" tall by 5" wide. From what I have read, they should start showing pre-flowers around 4-6 weeks from germination. After that you can take your clones, get them rooted then put them outside after a 1-2 week "hardening off" period, when you gradually acclimate them to outdoor conditions.

I live up in the middle of the state and we can generally put tender plants outside around Memorial Day, but have to be prepared to protect them from late frosts until the second week of June. So I plan to start seeds on April 1...so I should be able to sex them by mid/late-May, top them for clones and get them outside around the end of May/early June and hope for harvest in September - since our average first frost is Sept. 25.

If you don't mind, I would like to add a question:

When moving plants outside, do you have to "match up" the hours of light before doing so?

One word of warning...don't plant too many seeds...they all pretty much want to grow. I planted 2 each of 12 varieties, hoping to get at least 12...but got 21!!! So the extras went to live with my brother. And they grow like weeds (hehe). I started mine in 18 oz solo cups and in about 10 days I had roots peeking out the drainage holes. Potted up into gallon pots, and 11 days later roots are peeking out of those! Next time just going to start them in gallon pots. When trying to keep within our 12 plant limit, remember the clones you want to take...I didn't...so my sister has been drafted as "The Clone Queen" and the clones will go live with her. Sure am glad I have a herd of siblings! (hehe)

Are you going to be growing in the ground or in pots? I cant wait to get some in the ground...I grow organically and sell at two farmers markets (mostly flowers now) and have awesome soil - so I am dreaming of a 10-12' tall forest out there. The natural soil here grows sugar maples with 11'+ around trunks, white and red oak, white pines and hemlocks with 9'+ trunks...so I am drooling at the thought of what my improved garden soil will do with these plants!

Havnt decided between pots or ground.I always planted in pots before so i could move them when needed,but that was when you wernt allowed to grow.Did you start regular or fem seeds.Just starting two of each in regular seed doesnt sound like good odds.How big of a area are you in.

2 minutes ago, knucklehead bob said:

How does your plant stay up with five noids on it ? 

300?cb=20180301180048    🤪

Oh a spell checker.:middle::hawk:just kidding.I always wondered what all those red squiggly lines were.

I was just going to suggest that to you. Does not take much room.

If you are comfortable starting 50 .I would start them in a 1 gallon pot. Easily fit them in a 3' x 5' area under 1- 1000 w light. But you will need a min of 5' x 5' for 12- 5 Gal.

As soon as they are big enough I would cut the lower 2 branches off and put them on 12/12 under T5's or Leds. 2' x 2' would be plenty a small shelf in a closet works great.

keep them well labeled. You should be able to tell which are female in less than 2 weeks. Destroy or give away clones and all males from seedlings.

You should have roughly 25 females. Pick the 12 most vigorous and transplant to 3-5 gallon pot.  Destroy or give away the others .

Second week of May plant out your soon to be monsters. 

@GoodEnergyGrower said something very important. Try and do some research as to which will finish best at your latitude. Like he said nothing more frustrating than putting in the time only to have plants half finished when the frost kills them. You could do many strains and  find what works best for your area , or try and focus on the ones with the best chance of finishing.

Peace GG

30 minutes ago, gorilla ganja said:

I was just going to suggest that to you. Does not take much room.

If you are comfortable starting 50 .I would start them in a 1 gallon pot. Easily fit them in a 3' x 5' area under 1- 1000 w light. But you will need a min of 5' x 5' for 12- 5 Gal.

As soon as they are big enough I would cut the lower 2 branches off and put them on 12/12 under T5's or Leds. 2' x 2' would be plenty a small shelf in a closet works great.

keep them well labeled. You should be able to tell which are female in less than 2 weeks. Destroy or give away clones and all males from seedlings.

You should have roughly 25 females. Pick the 12 most vigorous and transplant to 3-5 gallon pot.  Destroy or give away the others .

Second week of May plant out your soon to be monsters. 

@GoodEnergyGrower said something very important. Try and do some research as to which will finish best at your latitude. Like he said nothing more frustrating than putting in the time only to have plants half finished when the frost kills them. You could do many strains and  find what works best for your area , or try and focus on the ones with the best chance of finishing.

Peace GG

Ok that sounds good to me.I read that you can take a cutting and just put it in water and put it in 12/12 and it will show sex.Is this what you are suggesting.

I will start trying to get more info on finish times.I hate long winded plants.

Yes that would work, but I would start them in some sort of substrate and then you can gift them to friends or family.

As soon as they show put them on 24 hrs of light  if you are gifting them. They should kick back out of flower quickly.

Peace GG

Guest PlantLady

@oldschool "Did you start regular or fem seeds.Just starting two of each in regular seed doesnt sound like good odds.How big of a area are you in."

I used regular (normal) seeds, won't touch the feminized ones no matter how handy they seem. I only use natural materials and natural methods in my gardens.

Well, I wanted to get a bunch of different types growing since I have no idea what sort of strains I will like best. Been smoking commercial weed forever, it never had a name and it was the height of luxury when "my guy" would say "Have the regular stuff and something special this time..." (hehe). I am really, really looking forward to browsing my future "special" pantry (a la Bong Appetit), thinking...which of these twelve (or 24, or 36) varieties will I try now?" Am designating my first 3 grows as my "Sampling Runs"...then after I figure out what types we like best will settle down to pheno hunting those types to fine tune our choices and start saving seeds. Although with so many strains available, could see myself deciding - hell, lets just try them all (hehe). This whole process is making me so happy, my face hurts all the time from smiling so much!

Well, outside we have 23 acres...inside not nearly so much (hehe). I started with a 2'x4' shelf unit but can see I will have to add another next week...so will have 4'x4'x8'. Can expand if I have to, at least a bit.

I start my seeds inside April first then pot them in 2gal pots till June first when I put them out in the shade for two weeks so the get use to the sun outside after the two weeks I look for males toss ones I find an plant the rest in 40 gal pots I keep pulling males as they grow you might get a few that don't show sex till Augusts but most males will show them self before If I want 50 females plants I plant 80 seed plants I'm going to try to run 200 auto flowers from @Comacus this year along with my other sit them an forget them style of gorrilla growing as I'm getting to old to tend multiple patches so going to see if I plant a bunch an see what happens

Sounds like i have enough time and room.Actuualy sounds like maybe i should wait a little bit before starting.If i want to keep a mother plant should i keep the seed plant or a clone of it.

Guest PlantLady

@Slick rick  Hey, want to tell me all about growing autoflowers? Do you have your varieties already picked out?  I really want to try a few of those, seems like they would be ideal to play with inside over winter. Being smaller (in many cases) could try more varieties and wouldn't have to mess around with light deprivation so when it came time to start seeds for outdoors could just have them share the space I have. My main focus will still be growing outdoors...but its sorta fun having some going indoors over winter.

It a variety of auto made by @Comacus a member here an my friend made seeds from his work too if u want a pack shoot me a addy I need to run to the post office this week to get a few other peeps stuff out!All I'm doing is starting them in cups then planting in a field that the grass gets about three foot tall I figure if I give them some.nice loose soil they should be off to a good start might need to do a little weeding but this year I'm going back to sit them a forget them will check once or twice through the season it works good with big numbers of plants will be using a time release food on ones that aren't in corn feilds 

Archived