xxPeacePipexx

Keep sending your samples to Phylos!

xxPeacePipexx

Conception Nurseries Comes Out of Quiet Production, Launches Publicly

The cannabis micropropagation company has been quietly developing cannabis tissue culture clones for nearly two years.

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to LinkedInShare to Email
 Subscribe
January 16, 2019
Press Release

Vendor News 

PORTLAND, Ore.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--PRESS RELEASE--Conception Nurseries, a cannabis micropropagation company that has been quietly developing cannabis tissue culture clones for nearly two years, is now launching publicly. Conception is bringing tissue culture technology, a crucial component of industrial scale agriculture, to the cannabis industry. With tissue culture micropropagation, Conception produces plantlets that are free of pathogens and have exceptional vigor, at a cost-per-plant below producers' in-house costs.

Conception is led by Chief Executive Officer Kevin Brooks. Kevin most recently served as the CEO of Connected Cannabis, one of the largest vertically integrated cannabis companies in California. Before entering the cannabis industry, Kevin spent 15 years as an executive in Silicon Valley supporting companies through multiple successful exits.

In partnership with both Phylos, a cannabis agricultural genomics company, and CropOne, one of the largest and highest yielding vertical agriculture companies, Conception provides cultivators with next-generation, targeted cannabis varieties customized for the needs of consumers and cultivators.

Through its partnership with Phylos, Conception’s tissue culture clones will each be genetically tested and registered with Phylos. A unique genetic ID is assigned to each plant tested, and includes a report revealing identical clone matches and how they’re related to varieties around the world.

Through its technology partnership with CropOne, Conception will use the world’s leading controlled-environment agriculture platform and plantlet development technology to ensure plantlets are pathogen free as well as consistent, vigorous growers.

Conception will be launching its Series A funding and facility rollout plans.

Cloning  Breeding 

Stay up to date on industry news and trends
Enter your email to subscribe to our newsletters.

Arkansas Bill Proposes to OK Medical Marijuana Use for More Conditions

South Carolina Lawmakers Introduce Medical Marijuana Bill to the Statehouse

Get curated news on YOUR industry.
Enter your email to receive our newsletters. 

Legislative Map
legislative map
Cannabis Business Times’ interactive legislative map is another tool to help cultivators quickly navigate state cannabis laws and find news relevant to their markets. View More

Job Board

Cannabis Business Times

Cannabis Dispensary
 Cannabis Conference
 Greenhouse Management
 Nursery Management
 Garden Center
 Produce Grower
 About Us
 Contact Us
 Subscribe
 Home
 RSS
 Advertise
 Privacy Policy
 Terms of Use
 © 2019 GIE Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved

Star plants have a universal signature ...

Tynehead Tom

so is phylos sharing everyones samples with this tissue culture company who has been working in the shadows for 2 years?

I think I predicted they were up to something like this.

gorilla ganja

No Phylos is cataloging and mapping their cultivars .

5 hours ago, xxPeacePipexx said:

Through its partnership with Phylos, Conception’s tissue culture clones will each be genetically tested and registered with Phylos. A unique genetic ID is assigned to each plant tested, and includes a report revealing identical clone matches and how they’re related to varieties around the world.

No Jurassic park stuff of bringing DNA back to life. Tissue culture is going to be widely used in the future. Well actually it's used a lot right now too.

Peace GG

Edited by gorilla ganja

xxPeacePipexx

Skyline is strong, and so forth with the configuration of the trades in the industry taking place. I have no trust for corporatism, especially when cannabis is a factor. Having grown illegally for twenty plus years I'm reading between the lines and making my own predictions about this all.

Edited by xxPeacePipexx

Enoch Warlock

I have watched legalization play out in Colorado and that quickly turned into an over regulated cluster fuck.  They changed all the rules 3 times and ruined many people in the process.  They are going to regulate all of the small guys into oblivion while propping up the big corporations.  They want all the little guys out so  they cam just regulate a few government friendly corporations owned by their friends, not a bunch of boutique independent growers and breeders.  From my perspective legalization has been much more negative than positive.  I hope it goes better for you folks in Canada but I must warn you to prepare for the worst!

Legalization is great for the average smoker but it is the beginning of the end for guys like most of us here...

Edited by Enoch Warlock

Tynehead Tom
9 hours ago, Enoch Warlock said:

I have watched legalization play out in Colorado and that quickly turned into an over regulated cluster fuck.  They changed all the rules 3 times and ruined many people in the process.  They are going to regulate all of the small guys into oblivion while propping up the big corporations.  They want all the little guys out so  they cam just regulate a few government friendly corporations owned by their friends, not a bunch of boutique independent growers and breeders.  From my perspective legalization has been much more negative than positive.  I hope it goes better for you folks in Canada but I must warn you to prepare for the worst!

Legalization is great for the average smoker but it is the beginning of the end for guys like most of us here...

oh it's already worse here man. 4 plant recreation limit per residence/dwelling. landlords can deny toking and growing in rentals. All plants and seeds and harvested/processed cannabis are "illicit" unless they came from a government licensed source. The ridiculous packaging is just going to create more waste in society and do nothing to make the kids safer LOL

The only way around the 4 plant limit is to pay thru the nose to a "consultant firm" for access to the Health Canada ACMPR medical cannabis regime and get that grow license and associated plant counts (4.5 plants per gram of daily consumpton I believe it is roughly based). Renewed every year by your doctor via more usless paper work and associated paper pushers with an average 2 month wait time.

Here's the rub..... the real estate industry has rules about "grow ops" , legal or not. If you own a home and grow in it..... it must be disclosed in any furture real estate transaction. The mortgage insurers will not insure a home that has had a grow op without a ministry of environment envelope inspection. The property can even be deemed uninhabitable if "any" trace of mold or water damage is found..... even if it was caused by leaking plumbing and not the grow. So by getting licensed, as a home owner, I automatically screw myself with resaleability of my home....potential conflicts with building codes and home insurance eligibility. No one has taken any of this into account as they went forward with this scheme.

Now if you want to apply for a business license for weed..... any genetics you plan to use in your business must be itemized and declared with signature at the time of application. Who knows what they will expect you to do with the genetics you freely disclosed you have in posession.... if your application is not approved.

My little town in rural BC want's nothing to do with legal weed in any fashion so there are zero resources in our community. There is a government licensed store, 2.5 hrs south but thier weed is not going anywhere near this man's body.

I can do the time for the crime, fuck em all.

Edited by Tynehead Tom

Slick rick

They are making clone with everyone's samples they have a tc company it's a good read even Sam the skunk man is one the board of directors I hope folks have built up a nice seed collection as shit going south with rec weed 

shaggy

Can anyone tell me what this page signifies??

https://phylos.bio/org/7vodyeor/david-watson

Methods of inducing SAR Local Acquired Resistance and Induced Systemic Resistance                                   I.P.M. INTEGRATED PEST MANAGEMENT

Do plants need silicon?                   ODA finds bottled microbes with little live organisms                          Welcome to Z-Library!

gorilla ganja

Looks to me like samples the Skunkman has submitted to Phylos. @shaggyballs

Hey @Tynehead Tom  could you point me in the direction as to real estate rules disclosure ect. that you are talking about. Any links?

Also you don't have to pay every company outrageous fees. My buddy got his prescription for free in Alberta. They even filled out his application for home growing.  I believe your not supposed to grow in your residence, so being in a separate building may make things easier for resale. Having said that he does have to go in every so often to renew. Also I agree 100% most of the rules are ridiculous.  Especially the genetics rules.

But if someone had a legal med grow are they ever going to come and test your genetics to see if they are from a legal source.

Even if they did, most "legal" genetics are not recorded in a way that could easily be traced back to them yet. Also most "legal" genetics were and are sourced from some big seed companies that are well know and have provided those same genetics to the public at some point. Well except for the genetics that they stold form medical patients , but I don't want to open that topic. It was B.S , I think we can all agree on that.

Having said all that. I am still debating whether I want to go though the paper work and disclose my location to government.

Paranoia will destroy ya. lol 

Peace GG

Edited by gorilla ganja

xxPeacePipexx

It always smells like shit, when Sams mentioned in anything. Lying conniving rat fink.

TheMan13

The Science of Organic Regenerative Cannabis Cultivation Conference will be held at GrowGreensMI next month (Mar 22-24).   Kevin Jordrey from Wonderland Nursery will be speaking about tissue culture and I believe a VP from Phylos will be present as well.  Maybe you can have some of your questions/concerns answered there?

Tynehead Tom
2 hours ago, gorilla ganja said:

Looks to me like samples the Skunkman has submitted to Phylos. @shaggyballs

Hey @Tynehead Tom  could you point me in the direction as to real estate rules disclosure ect. that you are talking about. Any links?

Also you don't have to pay every company outrageous fees. My buddy got his prescription for free in Alberta. They even filled out his application for home growing.  I believe your not supposed to grow in your residence, so being in a separate building may make things easier for resale. Having said that he does have to go in every so often to renew. Also I agree 100% most of the rules are ridiculous.  Especially the genetics rules.

But if someone had a legal med grow are they ever going to come and test your genetics to see if they are from a legal source.

Even if they did, most "legal" genetics are not recorded in a way that could easily be traced back to them yet. Also most "legal" genetics were and are sourced from some big seed companies that are well know and have provided those same genetics to the public at some point. Well except for the genetics that they stold form medical patients , but I don't want to open that topic. It was B.S , I think we can all agree on that.

Having said all that. I am still debating whether I want to go though the paper work and disclose my location to government.

Paranoia will destroy ya. lol 

Peace GG

no @gorilla ganja i don't have links handy but I have witnessed the whole thing play out. First with a friend who grew 20 plants in a 12 x 20 outbuilding at the back of his 750,000.00 assessed property. He got busted , no big thing in the end. Then a couple years later he went to sell his house. Not one potential buyer could get a mortgage with an environmental envelope assessment of the property. Micheal paid close to 10,000.00 in inspection fees and related paperwork and the for "grow op" designation remains on the property for seven years after the property is given a clean bill of health. By law the owner must declare if a property has been used for a grow op and failing to do so is an offence. If the property has never been discovered as a grow op and you own it and want to look at selling it.... remove any trace of the grow and vacuum out every nook and cranny. A dickhead inspector finds one shrivelled up cannabis leaf in an out of the way spot and he can declare the site a former grow op...... seen that happen too. I do not know if it the same across canada.... would assume so, but here in BC it is for sure.  My wife and I also tried buying several different properties before we found this one and a couple we really liked had former grow op designations and we were not able to find a mortgage for those properties and not for lack of trying or being qualified.

off topic but figured i'd answer anyways 😄

zombug

I Saw Phylos doing shady stuff like this from the very beginning. Things are already going back under lock and key. Prices are going to go up for access to genetics. And a lot of people are going to be denied. All these craft farmers are realizing how much territory, genetics, information, and money they have given up, and are all working quickly to rectify it. It is fairly evident that most believe this to be their last year in the rec industry. Remember the 90's? Fun times, besides leo.

Tynehead Tom

I guess I also got the same vibes on the whole sam skunkman, chimera, phylos stuff.

That said, I only joined the online community weed forums .... what 4 years ago now?

So most folks that have been around a lot longer than me in the community have a deeper understanding of who and what these people/entities are up to and just how honest they have been with thier followers.

I know that stuff I have read about some weed history, doesn't jive at all with what I "know" about the BC scene anyways and have had many roundtable discussions with the long time growers I know who were there. Skunk is one of those such plants and there is so much bullshit out there it's crazy. The hype built around the skunk and how phylos now uses it in thier classifications...... doesn't jive at all with me. 

To me they are trying to trace origins and building blocks of all the elites we have today in an effort to lock down and patent those building blocks and then thru mass tissue culture , produce plantlets with the distinct genetic marker making them unique to that company. Community genetics and elites will not carry those markers and when found will be eradicated.

At that point, All previous regular breeding seeds will become Hierloom and it will be up to us breeders and pollen chuckers to stash away and keep preserving the varietals we hold dear. It's just my thoughts, I'm not all that educated on the whole subject.

I did kinda see this coming when I first joined the online community and it is a major driver behind dedicating my grow room time to making seeds for long term storage.

Edited by Tynehead Tom

Coastal

I have some mixed feelings on a lot of the online stuff to..  also only been a part of it for 4 years or so, but I work around a lot of “industry” people like bubble man and chimera(never met but very close circles)... I kinda think a lot of them are just struggling to get a spot in the next wave too.

im not exactly sure how I feel about phylos or any of that tech... it could be very helpful in actually figuring out who did what and what is actually in some of these elites... and I don’t think the majority of the trendy “cuts” people pass around are that unique or genetically diverse.. just sayin.. if they actually try to make copies of all that crap they are going to miss the overall uniqueness of a lot of it...the special cuts that come out of generic genetics.. but if they get all the wierd old heirloom stuff figured out then I guess they could patent the blocks or something..

Sam the skunkman is another thing too... I’ve heard a lot of stories, not all about him being a rat either... I think a lot more information from that time in the 70’s and 80’s is going to come out as some of the key players start to die and pass down the truth of what was going on at that pivotal time in Cannabis history!

hopefully more of those old genes come out and are preserved as well!

i have a lot of friends riding out the end of the mmar lic. And going into LP/micro production avenues.. it seems there is enough money and people that are telling the big guys to pound sand and coming together to push forward.. 

doesnt seem as bad as a lot of states so far in bc... but I saw the first grow bust in 3-4 years here a few weeks back.. old style residential grow.. 

zombug

I've been online for over a decade, and watched the shit show flow. Chimera, I'll just say I see it as someone who had one awesome offering, and has been a part of a lot of scientific shit frowned on by the regenerative ag movement, and all of the Phylos shit is an attempt by these dinosaurs to somehow stay relevant and keep a strangle-hold on what they could not keep on their own. 

I don't think anything to revealing about those era's is going to continue to come out. There might be a  bit about some here and there, but cocaine was a hell of a drug. Shit, Leo from Aficionado can't keep his stories straight, and those aren't even 6 years old. 

Coastal

Chimera def got lucky,lol.. I honestly think 99% of the stuff he talks about his “science” is bs.. serious huge time bs... I had the people looking after his “genetic library” working for me trimming. I worked in the town he grew up in. I know people that gave him the original mountain jam cut back just last year. I know that he was trying hard to run a big LP here but it fell through, and while he was off selling himself as a master grower /scientist his shity moms where all dying and having issues because he can’t pay people or keep time frames.. lost a bunch of stuff, I got some cuts... hmmm not even tissue culture... hmmm... anyways.

i actually lol’d on the Leo Stone ., good point.. and I agree a lot of these guys haven’t done anything recently but live in the limelight of 30 years ago.. and just are in all these because they are at all the conventions and industry events, but I do know too that a lot of the big underground guys are coming up strong and have crazy $ and genetics that have been handed down through the era’s..,

i have a few stories, but they aren’t mine to tell so I’m just hoping things go well for some of the original growers that went against the flow to help get us to this point!

zombug

There are definitely underground guys surviving.That's where we will always thrive! And there is plenty of money to be made. These guys crying about prices are just creating the environment they want. There may be a few that take the leap into the legal rec world, and do it right, but I hope not. They only have as long as Phillip Morris and the likes lobby for their removal, and then those genes are out there. I know several guys still successful though. There are a couple of those old school guys with several ghost growers beneath them, slaying states. The black market will never die.

I honestly like the idea of things going back under lock. For one, I've always had access. Second, too many people have wrecked the names of elites via their shitty skills. And now we gotta wade through the swamp that is cookies and glue. Then there are the fake cuts, and pollen chuckers hemorrhaging f2's of highly prized genetics. The 90's was a lot more fun. 

Tynehead Tom

I don't attach any monetary value to my weed because i just don't want/need to sell it for an income.

Sure, I could use 10grand in grow room upgrades but I get by with what I have and it serves me fine.

I just wanna be left alone to do my thing and those who need to make this as an income can fight over the scraps 😉

For some folks , growing cannabis is thier art, and they don't have other emplyment options career-wise and I hope some of them good folks are successful for sure.

I just don't see myself being one of them, just not networked enough to be relevant 

gorilla ganja

I have never met any of those guy's and will reserve my judgment on their character until I do. I do know Skunk man is one smart dude and has contributed much to the cannabis world.But rumors and drama follows all these guys.  I try and steer clear of it.

I am just fascinated with the science. I do think tracing and cataloging cultivars is valuable. Just like the mapping of the human genome. 

As far as tissue culture, Well they are really just tiny cuttings of a plant held in a sterile fluid. Very valuable really. Thousands of cultivars can be stored for a long time in a small fridge.

All of these things have been used for other plants for along time and I think it's nice to see cannabis out of the shadows and into the science.

Peace GG

shaggy

I just read as @Slick rick stated skunkman is working with phylos.

Rob Clark is presently collaborating with Phylos Bioscience also.

http://tascann.com/team/robert-c-clarke/

Methods of inducing SAR Local Acquired Resistance and Induced Systemic Resistance                                   I.P.M. INTEGRATED PEST MANAGEMENT

Do plants need silicon?                   ODA finds bottled microbes with little live organisms                          Welcome to Z-Library!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use Guidelines Privacy Policy and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..