hunting in the south 2018

Bugman

deer hunting seasion for fire arms starts next weekend 10/20/18

ive been paying the grand kids to pick up  these chestnut acorns ,so i can put them out on the hunting club, there no big acorns on that propity & deer turkey  just love them.

Ha anyone  can post in here  weather you r from the south or north .

ive allready put out 1 bag of acorns & rock salt 

Smokin Joe

Our bow season started 2 weeks ago. It's been to damn hot till today. This morning it was 48 so I went out for a couple hours. Seen probably 25 deer in 2 hours. None in range but that will change 😎

yea its bow seasion here  but like u said its been to dam hot, except this morning .

Edited by Bugman
dawn patrol

Still have 3 weeks until general gun season down here, but I'm in the same boat - too damn hot to even think about it.

My pool is still 84 degrees and I'm still in it every day if I'm working outside.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

man some of these acorns r big [chest nut oak] so ive been told.

i paid the grand kids a $ 1 per bag to pick them up [well only 1/2 a bag as they weigh alot] they hit me up for 15 bags lol 

ive already put out 4 bags a week back & most every where i put them out  r gone [deer ,turkey, squarls, & i dont know what else eats them no hogs here]

now every time i go hunting i take a bag or so & put out,my car back floor board is full of acorns.

100_6363.JPG

100_6364.JPG

100_6366.JPG

Edited by Bugman
  • Like 1
dawn patrol

Always love to hunt when the mast crop is good, happy fat well fed targets 😁

• Nice Job 1
  • 2 weeks later...
dawn patrol

Aaaaand it's still hot as hell around here, fall lasted for less than 36 hours this past weekend.  It cooled the pool off to 83, makes the first dip of the morning a little chilly but by afternoon I don't really notice at all.

• 1 month later...
dawn patrol

Headed out Sunday for three days - not cold by any means but not hot enough to sweat so I'm looking forward to getting away.

Nobody has hunted the property since bow season.  that doesn't guarantee anything, but it's better than many years when somebody was there every weekend.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
dawn patrol

So I rolled back into town this afternoon, it was really good to get away from the city and the Internet for a little bit. 

Weather was perfect - highs in the high 60's, lows in the mid 40's.

Deer were all running scared, but there were hogs everywhere.  Lots of sows with young so I passed on all of those.  This morning a pair ran past me and I shot the smaller one hoping for a sow.

No luck, got a boar, the scale said almost 200 lbs.

DSCN2012.JPG

• Like 3

there no hog on the propty i hunt on , i did shot a cayota about a mounth ago,

@dawn patrol you use slugs or buckshot

nice hog by the way.

Edited by Bugman
Ilynnboy
1 hour ago, Bugman said:

nice hog by the way.

Slug that son of a bitch.

screw them bird shot. Picking lead pebbles out the meat.

Leave that for quail.or turkey

kinda looks like buckshot though?

shot in the shoulder?

Edited by Ilynnboy
dawn patrol
12 hours ago, Smokin Joe said:

Looks like some nice cutters on that hog 

Not the biggest I've seen but enough to mess you up if ya get on the wrong end.

10 hours ago, Bugman said:

nice hog by the way.

Slugs all the way, I don't take "sound" shots or anything where I'm not confident of a solid hit.  Slugs pack a punch that buck shot just doesn't IMHO.  If an animal is absolutely hauling ass, I usually won't even take a shot, even with a centerfire.  This property is over 100 acres.  It's mostly very flat, but parts are incredibly dense with scrub oaks and palmettos and other parts it's possible to take a 300 yard shot.  The stand I take determines if I take the 12 ga or the .308.

9 hours ago, Ilynnboy said:

Slug that son of a bitch.

screw them bird shot. Picking lead pebbles out the meat.

Leave that for quail.or turkey

kinda looks like buckshot though?

shot in the shoulder?

these two were quartering away from me at about 50 yards, first round went through the ribs and into the engine room.  Hog piled up and I started walking toward it and 20 seconds later it jumped up, ran through a fence and about 150 yards into the neighboring property before it went down again.  I humped over there and put one behind the ear to finish it.

Lets just say that the side shown in the picture was not the side I shot him on.  Makes for a much better picture.

Hauling his ass back across the fence line and out of the scrub to where I could get my truck was not fun in any way.  I'd guess he was three or four years old and even at that point was a smelly, rank, vile beast.

trucked him back to camp and cleaned him and I went home with the backstraps and sent the rest home with my buddy for dog food.  And I won't be surprised if the backstraps are inedible.  I've rarely killed a boar from this area that I wanted to eat, they are just nasty in every way

That may sound like a horrible statement, but let me tell you how things are around here.  This is east central Florida and in an area where there are miles and miles of no cellphone coverage, let alone data.

Lots of cattle ranches that also "farm" wild hogs by trapping them, castrating the males and releasing them to get bigger to be hunted by paid hunters.  The weather here means that the hogs are breeding year round so it's hard to kill a sow that isn't pregnant or nursing and I'm just not into that.

these animals see incredible heat, have no constant food source so they will eat anything that won't eat them first, and are hunted by man and dogs all year round.  they don't get to be 3-4 years old or older without being prolific bad asses, and just generally the nastiest things on four legs, aligators included in that discussion by the way.

Castrated males aren't as good to eat as a sow, but miles better than a breeding male.... that stanky funk permeates their entire being.  I've tried mixing the meat with commercial pork and even beef.  That nasty taste cuts through everything.   

• Nice Job 1
  • 2 weeks later...
dawn patrol

And yeah, the tenderloins are not fit to eat without drowning them in BBQ sauce or seasoning to cover up the funk.

I'll be grinding the rest with store bought pork shoulder to make sausage and adding a ton of garlic, chipotle and cayenne to the mix.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

a little pre hunt scouting for the 2019 seasion . it open the sat 19

they pulped out the property that i hunt so theres alot of open long shots, so ill swap over to a short rife instead of my 44 mag ruger super black hawk pistel

its a single shot TC 3030, 31 inch long with 16 1/4 barrow VERY LIGHT WEIGH

100_6998.JPG

• Like 1
  • Nice Job 1

a few fungi  pic & a turtle, theres all kinde of fungi growing threw out the fall , im gona try an snap some shots of the diffrent ones, therw out the seasion

100_6987.JPG

100_6989.JPG

100_6990.JPG

100_6988.JPG

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use Guidelines Privacy Policy and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..