herbert

The search for Santa Marta Gold landrace Sativa

herbert

I have met some people in Colombia who range from old Colombian campesinos who used to grow or transport back in the 70s , American Expats ,to younger cannabis aficionados that grow and lament the difficulty of finding the genetics of pre 1980s famed ' gold Colombian or Punta Rojo  redbud.

Everyone knows someone who knows someone yet I haven't seen it, not saying it's extinct but.. the guy I know there has been growing 20 years and his father before him, he also won the cannabis cup in Medellin. 

There is some gold out there with a little Indica in it, it tasted very similar and between my lack of tolerance and this is sinsemilla more than made up for it. 

People down there are on a quest to preserve what is left and you need to get up into places where outsiders are warily welcomed.

20180919_193938.png

20180919_194323.png

20180919_194634.png

• Like 7
  • Nice Job 3
  • Yummy 1

dawn patrol

You get the beans, I'll do the work @herbert

Other than an authentic Thai or Mexican line, I can't think of anything else I'd rather give space and time to.

I'd love a trip in the wayback machine 😁

herbert

I got ripped and it tasted slightly hashy like the old Lebanese Blonde Hash, some paranoia was there because for a half hour I was thinking the possibility of being kidnapped was a reality disregarding the fact I was with my Colombian family. By the way it is no coincidence that thousands of Lebanese, Syrians , Moroccans settled on both Colombian coasts in Early 1900s Santa Marta, Barranquilla, Cartagena and the Pacific side  in Cali I will bet anything they brought their genetics with them up to the hills just like Morocco. I digress, it had the Hashy sweet blonde Leb  taste but lacked that bite, or tickle that swelled the lungs and brought you to tears while gasping  for a breath but it is definitely worth the space and time in anyone’s garden at a minimum 4 month flower at 5 degrees north. This latitude is 12/12 all year long with a variation no more than 15 minutes there was only 1 harvest a year and a 3-4 month  flower time. At  that latitude and elevation the UV is powerful. The temps are cool  yet I  can get a sunburn  in minutes hatless. 

I  read something  over on the rag that  has been repeated and is highly debatable . GIRDLING is supposedly how it was made golden in color by making a shallow  clean cut around  the whole main stalk to turn the  leaves and flowers gold.All we ever got was  very dry  buds and an enormous amount of  big seeds. the pistils were yellowish gold as well as the seed filled bracts. I asked  several old timers about this and it was explained to me that to save time and  space  this was done so they could dry the  buds on the plant in the field a few days but the gold was bred into it.

Edited by herbert
change wording clarify

dawn patrol

Girdling is how you kill or severely stunt a plant so their explanation makes sense.  At that latitude, some plants may want to flower forever so forcing senescence through girdling is a way to make the plant finish despite it's natural inclination, and also a way to make it shed moisture and start the drying process.  

Probably not the way to get the best smoke as we now know it, but effective from their point of view when the flowers were probably going to be bricked for shipment anyway.

Ilynnboy

@Shooter might know a little about this practice as he goes to Jamaica quite regularly and knows growers there.

@Shooter do they do this in Jamaica?

@dawn patrol wouldn’t the plant just finish according to its life cycle?

nekrod

That bud looks dank!!....!!!! 

Excited and quietly passionate for Mexican Sativas myself. Can I ask is anyone working with Ace seeds' seeds? I think I saw they had punto rojo out of stock actually says "out of existence" now. lol Not sure what the deal is exactly? 😕

I had coffee ryder which is williamswonderxruderalisxsanta marta,by world of seeds , tasted just like coffee. Was a very unique and good speedy high if I remember.

How does one travel to these countries in search of the beans? You have to know people and those people know people I guess eh?🤗

✌️

Edited by nekrod

Shooter
5 hours ago, Ilynnboy said:

@Shooter might know a little about this practice as he goes to Jamaica quite regularly and knows growers there.

@Shooter do they do this in Jamaica?

I haven't seen or heard of it down there. Heading down to Belmont then Negril the end of this month. I'll ask around. They're pretty much on a 12/12 cycle so it's like growing from seed during 12/12. I'd guess their long days are around 13ish hours so there isn't much variation in light cycles. If you ran a clone machine indoors you could easily do 4 crops a year outdoors IMHO. I'm trying to come up with a modular cloner design that's cost effective and is easy to break down for those 1 way trips through the airport. I've got an idea in the back of my mind but I need to see what kind of plastic totes are available down there.

dawn patrol
9 hours ago, Ilynnboy said:

Even where I am in central Florida, way far from the equator, some NLD strains for me would not finish.  Not that I have tons of data to back this up, but I had specific phenos of ACE Old Timers Haze, Guatemala,  Zamaldelica and Golden Tiger that just wouldn't finish in the spring.  Flowers would ripen but new flowers just kept appearing while the whole plant would just keep chugging along and eventually revert to vegetative growth in a very deformed fashion. 

Many people in northern latitudes assume that there is only one flowering cycle while those of us with no real threat of a freeze and good winter sun can get 3-4 cycles a year easily, even if some of those cycles are not premium product.

But I think that also speaks to the effects of changing conditions outdoors in relation to the consistent indoor conditions that you get in a controlled environment.  Outdoors, the plant knows when it is spring even if there is enough dark time to make it flower to begin with. 

Oldproseeds

Heya brother...thats to bad???

ALL sativa types will make it just fine here in FL...

😉

All in the time you start them ok,,if you have a 100 % sativa 10 months to  finish,,start in April finish Late december-thats a 100% sat,

now for a 60 to 85 % sativa just start at June and it will be done for thanks giving!!!

shucks id love to try those sativa strains man-hint...OP

Edited by Oldproseeds

Shooter

Just got back in country last night. I asked a few growers I know and they said GIRDLING is done by some down there but they call it SCREW. I didn't get a good answer as to why they do or don't do it. The trend is going a little more science based with smaller guerilla type grows that focus on quality vs. quantity. From what I see when out in the bush I wouldn't want to stunt growth at all as they don't really get much veg stage which limits them to 3' or so single cola plants with minimal branching. That of course is strain dependent. The Bodhi Morecowbell we started in April was a failure due to the dense buds and too much rain the last couple of weeks. Antenna's PLL3 seems to be handling it OK but just barely. They'll get out of the rainy season in a few weeks and another round will start with better climatic conditions and a PLL3xKush cross my friend did. Hopefully they're ready by mid-March.

Ilynnboy

I started following Columbiacannabiscompany on Insta.

claims to have all the Old strains

Orion

There is somebody with a lot of hands on already working on breeding back the GOLD...Breeder Steve is up and running.

Edited by Orion

fabvariousk

If Steve is back then ask him to come here please!

CannaFish

I have the Punto Rojo and Mangobiche and now the PuntoBiche🤩 I would love to grow the Gold too. I do know some that hold the original colombian gold seeds from 70's imports. But i'm not one of them.

The PuntoBiche throws several different color expressions that cure darker than the colombian gold above. But similar in structure. 

Orion
15 hours ago, fabvariousk said:

If Steve is back then ask him to come here please!

He is set up in Columbia and you can ask him on instagram.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use Privacy Policy.