Shooter

Infused sugar, a tutorial

Shooter
Posted (edited)

Thought I'd show how easy this is to make.

I started with 7g of decarbed Glueroom nugs and then ground them up.

P1020036.thumb.JPG.4b1152254261d41553580f154a50e5c3.JPG

P1020037.thumb.JPG.3060be06e43b28ef139a79e298ca707d.JPG

P1020038.thumb.JPG.30c6d82bf6375bcfd5aead7b66e1e63a.JPG

Put ground product into mason jar and cover with 190 proof Everclear. Bacardi 151 will work, just not as good.

Shake every 3-5min for about 20min.

P1020041.thumb.JPG.8a4329bc1425de0feb5acb8c06cf564c.JPG

P1020042.thumb.JPG.9093326c8ad4707d620a9e6a40e347df.JPG

1/2 cup of granulated sugar

P1020039.thumb.JPG.a9ae34298656657f10cb9944d70f972d.JPG

Coffee filter inside strainer. Pour mixture through filter/strainer and squeeze out liquid being careful not to break the filter.

P1020045.thumb.JPG.b2a38381d309fcae8be46380de7ca6b3.JPG

P1020046.thumb.JPG.3426b7dc59d642d2fe0fdb83941e2a62.JPG

Stir until it has an even color and then heat hot plate to 200 or less. You can also do this part in the oven but it's easier to stir this way.

P1020047.thumb.JPG.ef7ffc4f0a0cf3196aa84dcb461c3004.JPG

P1020048.thumb.JPG.47957e47854475d18d5e82be8e27312e.JPG

Stir until it's totally dry. Put in your storage container of choice. Enjoy!

P1020050.thumb.JPG.baa9285cc84633a70c94120aaba54959.JPG

P1020052.thumb.JPG.c7673e8651f98d89a70feb8e1f604b56.JPG

Edited by Shooter
add text
  • Like 3
  • Great Advice 1
  • Nice Job 3

fabvariousk
Posted (edited)

That is interesting. My only question is why do you leave the material in the everclear so long and pull out so much chlorophyll? Wouldn't a no more than 40 second shake make a much better quality final product like when making oils?

how do you use this? 

Edited by fabvariousk

Smokin Joe

Hmmmmmm I'm thinking this could be my snow cone syrup infusion recipe 🤔

fabvariousk

I wonder if you could make cannabis cotton candy with it?

dawn patrol

@Shooter is there a reason you don't decarb the weed before washing?

and as @fabvariousk noted, you could probably do with a much shorter wash and get less "green' flavor in your final product.  

Maybe the sugar covers those flavors up?

I'm honestly not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand why you're doing what you're doing.

Do you get a measured repeatable dosage with the infused sugar?  Does it just let you make a "normal" recipe with medicated results?

Not trying to criticize, if it works for you that's awesome!  

blues147
Posted (edited)

lol, went googling and learned about decarb, thank you, just curious my chocolate chip cookies take about an hour for me to be

effected, might this speed up that process.

Edited by blues147
forgot something

Smokin Joe
44 minutes ago, blues147 said:

lol, went googling and learned about decarb, thank you, just curious my chocolate chip cookies take about an hour for me to be

effected, might this speed up that process.

Nope , won't speed up a thing. Decarbing converts thca to thc. 

It helps to decarb first but cooking will partially decarb also. 

Some say soy lactan (?) speeds the effect but I've ever tried it.

Shooter

@fabvariousk The recipe I found in a cookbook calls for that amount of time. If I had a way to test the difference between different times I'd try it but for now this seems to work so I'll stick to it. The sugar can be used for anything you'd use granulated sugar in. Not sure how it would spin for cotton candy though.

@dawn patrolIt's decarbed. I forgot to put that in my original post. Compared to cannabutter I don't notice any green flavor. I wish I had a way to get it tested because I'd like to know about repeatability also. My lab guy changed jobs and here behind enemy lines I don't have that option anymore. I will say that the edibles I've made seem to have consistent potency from batch to batch using the same buds. As far as why I'm doing what i'm doing? Because I can.

dawn patrol
4 hours ago, Shooter said:

As far as why I'm doing what i'm doing? Because I can.

Poorly worded on my part, what I meant was why infuse the sugar if you could simply use an infused fat (oil, butter etc.) in the same recipe.

I thought maybe there was an application for the sugar where that was the only avenue to infuse an ingredient.

This was why I was also asking about measured dosages, thought maybe the sugar worked better measured or weighed as a solid.

As usual, probably overthinking things......:share:

Shooter

@dawn patrol I use it in the peanut butter choc chip cookies I make along with the butter since I can only put so much butter in the cookie dough. Allows for increased potency without overloading the butter and getting that skunk flavor and it doesn't have all the fat in it for those of us watching our BP and cholesterol. My wife is pretty much immune to edibles so I've been trying to find something that has an effect on her. You could also use it for coffee, tea or anything that calls for sugar but might not have butter in it. There is some math that can be done to get an approximate mg of THC per tablespoon. Using the formula in my cookbook, 7g of average buds has about 700mg of THC total. So 700mg into 1/2 cup of sugar yields about 29mg per tsp. That formula also applies to butter. I'm going to figure out how to make simple syrup with the infused sugar. Should make a nice Mojito.

:share:

fabvariousk

Try making a batch this way and I think it will turn out better. 

Put the ground material in a mason jar and put that in the freezer at least 24 hours along with the everclear you are going to use for extractions.

pour the frozen everclear into the frozen material and give it no more than 40 hard shakes. That 20 minutes bullshit is crazy!

strain that through cheesecloth and put the golden alcohol in the freezer for another 24 hours. 

Now strain the frozen alcohol thru coffee filters.

add the sugar to the strained alcohol and cook it off like you have been doing.

that is the right way to do an alcohol extraction for making oil/wax so it will probably improve your sugar as well.

i look forward to trying this out. 

Shooter

@fabvariouskI'll try that next time I make a batch. I love experimenting with this kind of stuff even if the results are less than optimum. My "patients" tell me that my edibles are in a different class compared to the edibles they get in Colorado. They always love baking day!

Smokin Joe
23 hours ago, dawn patrol said:

Poorly worded on my part, what I meant was why infuse the sugar if you could simply use an infused fat (oil, butter etc.) in the same recipe.

I thought maybe there was an application for the sugar where that was the only avenue to infuse an ingredient.

This was why I was also asking about measured dosages, thought maybe the sugar worked better measured or weighed as a solid.

As usual, probably overthinking things......:share:

Another view would be make tinctures. Why bother with infusing anything else?

We like verity :share: 

dawn patrol
2 hours ago, Smokin Joe said:

Another view would be make tinctures. Why bother with infusing anything else?

We like verity :share: 

Excellent point @Smokin Joe

Much like @fabvariousk suggested, I was taught by greywolf to freeze the material and alcohol (and this technique works well with 151 if thats all you can get) for 24 hours.

Add the alcohol to the material and shake violently for 60 seconds.

Return the jar to the freezer for 60 seconds.

Repeat this three times then pour out the alcohol through a lab grade filter (coffee filter will work if that's all you have) and you have a very potent mostly neutral tasting tincture that can be dosed by counting drops and added to anything you might find tasty to drink.

Wanna go hardcore?  figure out an acceptable dose and then drop it under your tongue.  It will burn like fire but enter your system quicker by bypassing your digestive system.

Shooter

Good grief! We have a concentrates section of the forum. I was just showing how to do this as another option for baking sweets, etc. Way to derail a thread.:hi-computer-smiley-emoticon:

Smokin Joe
42 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Good grief! We have a concentrates section of the forum. I was just showing how to do this as another option for baking sweets, etc. Way to derail a thread.:hi-computer-smiley-emoticon:

Didn't mean to derail. My comment was tong and cheek not an opinion.

Im interested in your method an others are as well. If you would rather keep this thread to your method I'm sure we can sweep the floor.   

Smokin Joe
Posted (edited)

I should have stated that there are many uses for infused sugar that a infused fat just wouldn't fit. Like my snowcone syrup 

Edited by Smokin Joe

Shooter
On 8/23/2018 at 6:27 PM, Smokin Joe said:

Didn't mean to derail. My comment was tong and cheek not an opinion.

Im interested in your method an others are as well. If you would rather keep this thread to your method I'm sure we can sweep the floor.   

No harm done. It was just starting to get way off the original topic. I'm interested in all things cannabis related, it would be a really boring world if everybody liked the same things. How are those snowcones?

Kingfish

Absolutely love the Canna Sugar @Shooter. Thank You for Sharing this technique with everyone. This interests me in regard to making all things sweet like caramels, gummies, baked goods etc... The sugar won’t speed up metabolizing the cannabis product, but as @Smokin Joe mentioned above, in my personal experiences  “Lecithin” seems to increase both the onset of effects and overall potency. Unfortunately I believe that this emulsifier “which works incredibly well” is a potentially very dangerous substance born of the processed foods era. Before all of these additives, emulsifiers, and preservatives, Crohn’s and other gastrointestinal diseases were basically nonexistent.