Love to fish

Guest Kelly's grow

Guest Kelly's grow

Hello all! I just moved to northern Mi. and love to fish. My problem is it is hard to find someone that will take a disabled person fishing with them. Bought this house in Jan 2017 and been promised by several people but none have come through yet. When I lived in Idaho , I fished for smallmouth bass. We had a lake 50 miles long that could not be seen from any road. You would drop down into it. You could fish all day and not see another boat. On weekends when you moved spots you might have seen 2-3 other boats. Seemed no one know about it. We had large smallmouths. World record is just over 11 pounds. Idaho's state record is 10.7 pounds. We could go catch fish 3 pounds plus in one arm or catch a 100 fish. None over 2.5 pounds. Made all my own lures. Jigs, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, drop shot weights, egg sinners. I have over 20 lure molds and all the equipment to start pouring lures again. I need to get some more vinyl paint. Stuff won't chip. Ok I guess I will stop crying about someone not taking me fishing. I just don't know where to go and what to fish for here. Thanks for looking in.

• 1 month later...
Bugman

i love fishing but im getting too old & im finding it hard to get out by myself , but i still try an go every chance i get .

it,s been raining for about 3 mounths almost every day , all the lakes/rivers R  full & mudy .

ide be glade to take you fishing ,just to have some compney [ i live in GA tho]

• Like 2
Ilynnboy

I hear that fellas, all my old fishing partners are dead.

My Buddy, My Dad and My Father in Law...

Fishing alone Sux....kinda like smoking alone...

• Great Advice 2
Tynehead Tom

I used to be such a fishing junkie but these days the body hurts so damn much it's hard to get motivated.

My boat got used last weekend over on the west coast in nootka sound. My friends had a blast catching thier limits of Chinook and Coho salmon and a few ling cod. I shoulda been there but the garden.... and well, there;s that pain thing. I might make the trip over (12hrs) to hit it one time before the season ends and I gotta bring the boat home this year. I ran charters for a bunch of years over there but hanging up the license now.

I'm surrounded by endless numbers of freshwater fishing lakes and my favorite thing to do is get out the float tube and 5wt sage 590RPL and hit one of the local shoals for some flyfishing for chunky rainbows . BUT what I really miss , truly crave...... is steelhead fishing on a crisp clear and cold winters day..... I get out when i can but the closest steelhead river is a long ways off hehehe

Edited by Tynehead Tom
  • Like 2
dawn patrol

I hear ya @Tynehead Tom I'm actually getting ready to put my boat up for sale.  Nobody left to fish with and the boat is too big to launch and dock by myself.  

Sucks but reality is on a good day 40 miles out and 40 back just kicks my ass.  By the time I scrub everything down and do the maintenance it's easily a twelve hour + day and I'm useless for the next day or two.

I don't have your level of pain consistently, but I can't go like I did when I was younger that's for sure.

Bugman
13 hours ago, dawn patrol said:

I hear ya @Tynehead Tom I'm actually getting ready to put my boat up for sale.  Nobody left to fish with and the boat is too big to launch and dock by myself.  

Sucks but reality is on a good day 40 miles out and 40 back just kicks my ass.  By the time I scrub everything down and do the maintenance it's easily a twelve hour + day and I'm useless for the next day or two.

I don't have your level of pain consistently, but I can't go like I did when I was younger that's for sure.

thats why im looking for a small-medum size bosat something i can get in & out of the water buy myself

dawn patrol
10 hours ago, Bugman said:

thats why im looking for a small-medum size bosat something i can get in & out of the water buy myself

My brother runs a 18ft aluminum john boat decked out with a console.  I think he's only got a 40hp motor on it but it scoots pretty good.

Tows it with his car if the truck isn't available.  Sounds big but it's not that heavy and more than two people on it is really too much especially if your trying to fish. 

He can manage that by himself without too much trouble.

I imagine you could find something even smaller if you're not going on big rivers or lakes.

Tynehead Tom

I've got 2 small boats, an 11foot Frontiersman fiberglass that's gotta be 40 years old or something like that. It's a current project I'm working on and have a 4horse and an electric 30pound minnkota electric for it.

My other small boat is a Harbercraft 12ft aluminum with a suzuki 9.9 and also has a 30pound minnkota.

I have the 22ft hewes welded aluminum for salt water fishing but want to get a 17 foot fiberglass boat for fishing bigger lakes around here and for pullin people with the tubes and stuff in the summer.

boats are fun 😉

Speaking of boats and fishin...... my buddy towed my hewes back from the island and she is sitting in the water down by the vancouver airport in the marina in richmond. Sockeye salmon opened up with 4 per day limits so am gonna go hit it hard for a week starting monday. Probably will get out on the Fraser river for some sturgeon and chinook salmon fishing as well. Limits on sox are only 2 a day in the non tidal part of the river so won't target those. They are better from the salt anyways.

Will try and get some pictures

• Like 1
  • Nice Job 1
Guest Kelly's grow
On 8/9/2018 at 3:10 PM, Bugman said:

i love fishing but im getting too old & im finding it hard to get out by myself , but i still try an go every chance i get .

it,s been raining for about 3 mounths almost every day , all the lakes/rivers R  full & mudy .

ide be glade to take you fishing ,just to have some compney [ i live in GA tho]

Thank you for the offer. I am very sorry about the time it has taken to respond. I have been doing physical therapy and doing a bunch of nerve test. That is no excuse just an explanation way. I now live in northern lower peninsula Michigan. So you living in GA makes it a little hard to do. I now have a reason to go south for some of the winter. Can we go after a ten pound largemouth bass? Thank you for your time and consideration.

Have a great day and better tomorrow.

Guest Kelly's grow

I am available to go fishing with anyone needing a partner in northern Michigan. I was a smallish fisherman in Idaho and I make all my own lures. That's anything poured I can make. Spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, jigs, drop shot weights, worm and egg sinners. I pour them all. I want to try a new spinnerbaits I designed. Or at least find someone to do some testing for me. I am going to expand the lures I make because of all the different fish around me now. I used to tie flies down to a size 24 hook. Can't do that now but I do tie hair and feather jigs. It works better if your using a hook I can see to be able to tie jigs. We can sit around and build our lures and smoke something we have grown. I miss building lures with friends and just bullshit the afternoon away then throw some burgers own the grill for dinner or maybe some steak and home grown corn on the  cob. Oh well I will make friends here and we will do something and grill something. I used to sell my lures on eBay but they have changed so much I don't care for them any more. Thinking about Amazon but I don't like how they are trying to monopolize everything. Oh well that's my problem. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Tynehead Tom

size 24 fly hook LOL that's tiny man!

I've tied down to an 18 for chironimid , hyella shrimp, waterboatmen and dry's to match hatches. 

I don't do any lure making with molds or anything but I tie flies for pretty much anything that swims here in BC. I've made flies up for my friends back east that fish bass and pickerel but we don't have those species here where i am. Mostly rainbow trout in the lakes here but we also have eastern brook trout, Lake trout(char) and kokanee (freshwater sockeye).

When I lived down in the city and had a larger circle of friends close by we would have fly tying nights which were a lot of fun...... I miss those days hehehe

fuk it, I'm going fishing today...... it's been a while and all this talk has got me hankerin for my 5wt fly rod.

• 4 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:29 AM, Kelly's grow said:

I am available to go fishing with anyone needing a partner in northern Michigan. I was a smallish fisherman in Idaho and I make all my own lures. That's anything poured I can make. Spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, jigs, drop shot weights, worm and egg sinners. I pour them all. I want to try a new spinnerbaits I designed. Or at least find someone to do some testing for me. I am going to expand the lures I make because of all the different fish around me now. I used to tie flies down to a size 24 hook. Can't do that now but I do tie hair and feather jigs. It works better if your using a hook I can see to be able to tie jigs. We can sit around and build our lures and smoke something we have grown. I miss building lures with friends and just bullshit the afternoon away then throw some burgers own the grill for dinner or maybe some steak and home grown corn on the  cob. Oh well I will make friends here and we will do something and grill something. I used to sell my lures on eBay but they have changed so much I don't care for them any more. Thinking about Amazon but I don't like how they are trying to monopolize everything. Oh well that's my problem. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Most of the guys I buy baits from are on Facebook...to bad you don't live closer I would take you fishing for Smalie's, I go too the St Lawrence twice a year and lake Champlain 4 times every year...most of the time on Champlain I have to target the green ones to Ca$h a check.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use Guidelines Privacy Policy and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..