Testing : Strawberry Chunk

Tynehead Tom

Strawberry Chunk started with a cross I made using Strawberry Mandarina (karma genetics) crossed with a male from seeds of Atomic NL5 x Deep Chunk. Popping those beans , I hunted them in lots of 10 searching for strawberry dominant parents. I took 2 very strawberry males that shared the mums structure, stretch, leaf shape and stem rub smells and crossed back to the Strawberry Mandarina mum.

these are crappy pics and I'll try to improve on that going forward but wanted to journal this one as when I'm happy with the offspring, the beans will be released. Deep Chunk likes to dominate in everything it's crossed too and I think i have hit a very nice balance. These plants will show us if that is true 😉

4 females of Strawberry Chunk , vegged 5 weeks from seed and flipped in #5 pots of sunshine 4.

these pics are at 16 days flowering

05-15-2018_Strawberry_Chunk_pic_1_-_Copy.JPG

05-15-2018_Strawberry_Chunk_pic_2_-_Copy.JPG

05-15-2018_Strawberry_Chunk_pic_3_-_Copy.JPG

05-15-2018_Strawberry_Chunk_pic_4_-_Copy.JPG

Nice!great looking structure and leaves, def looks like a mix of parents on those, hopefully you find some nice strawberry hash phenos!

3 hours ago, Coastal said:

Nice!great looking structure and leaves, def looks like a mix of parents on those, hopefully you find some nice strawberry hash phenos!

hope so man..... I mean who doesn't like hashy strawberry 😄

I'm seeing 1 of the 4 is keeping the short stature, minimal stretch , wider leaf traits of the deep chunk while the other 3 are showing better structure and a nice uniform stretch so far. Will be interesting to see how they look next week around the 21 day mark. 

I'm hoping for exactly that, a nice hashy, earthy rich strawberry influenced flavor. Also hoping for med to high yield, 9 week or less flowering, lots of color in fade and a make your forhead sweat potency hehehe 

we'll see how this plays out.

I'll be test growing and showing each batch of beans that I am thinking of releasing, starting with these.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 1:50 PM, zoot said:

Now I would love a real strawberry, watching this play out.

:popcorneating:

hit day 50 yesterday and they look like they will easily go 70 days as they are getting fatter by the day and the hairs are all white and they are just starting to push the frost a little more noticeably now.

Seems that while all three have simlar appearanc to the flowers and leaves, I can see a nice balance of the parents forming here. One smells of that dank earthy typical Deep Chunk smell but has a bit more stretch than the father's line. Two of the 4 resemble that first one but have more stretch and they carry the sweet candy strawberryish smell of the mom. The 4rth has blockier flowers, wide and flat on top and also carries a sweeter smell and is very frosty. Downside is that it is popping nanners all over the place..... however..... try as I might, I can't find a single faded/pollinated pistil anywhere on the plant, nor does any of the other 9 plants in the room showing any signs of being pollinated. It's a crazy gamble but I'm gonna see this plant thru because like it's mom..... that pollen might be totally sterile I dunno....

guess we'll find out hahaha

now finding nanners is not what I want to see for something I might release so will work this with some selection. I will post the pics of these girls at 50days 12/12 , they are gonna yield awesome for the 5 week veg that they got. I'll guess they'll go a solid 2+ zips each and hopefully they taste like strawberry candy 🙂

pics tonite when lights come on.

Sorry I missed the start of the show...is the popcorn still warm?:monkey-with-glasses-smoking-smiley-emoticon:

Looking forward to watching you work these. My grandpa always had those strawberry hard candies...the ones wrapped up to look like strawberries. He fixated on hard candies after he quite smoking.

I can almost sense a strawberry ladened hash flavor lingering on the back of my palate...with head ringing potency? Yeah buddy sign me up.

Guest 3rdCoaster

Crappy pics of some nice plants indeed..lol  Looking good Tom, stacked and frosty.  A nice strawberry/hashy flavor would be a icing on the cake.

ya , I am liking the way these lines have come together. Structure is nice all around and certainly all have upswept branching with knuckles at the main nodes, adequate and manageable stretch to bud site ratio and 3 are stacking really nice main stem colas from the middle of the plants up. They are also looking like they will be easy to trim plants when they are done but we'll see. 

I have been feeding these (since day 15), measurements are per 4 liters/1gallon

350 to 400 ppm Gypsum

3 to 3.75ml micro(GH Flora)

7 to 7.5 ml bloom(GH Flora)

2.5 ml GH Calimagic 

.5 to .65ml Supernatural Superboost

.5 to .65ml Grotek Monster Bloom

5ml Grotek Pro Silcate for PH up 

I have been feeding on a schedule of Feed full strength/ next feed 1/2 strength followed by 3rd feed 400ppm Gypsum/200-300ppm crosby's black strap molasses/2.5ml pro silicate.

All the plants in my flower room are loving this mix and I have had zero PH issues, lockouts, no yellowing off at week 5/6 ..... plants are all healthy and appear to be lacking nothing and should go hard to the finish. 

few more weeks 😄

another week has slid on by and these hit day 56 tomorrow.

I am really pleased with how these are turning out. Stacked with buds and loaded with frost. Gonna be 2 more weeks for these to get fatter yet 😄

Strawberry Chunk

06-22-2018_Strawberry_Chunk_pic_1_-_Copy.JPG

06-22-2018_Strawberry_Chunk_pic_2_-_Copy.JPG

06-22-2018_Strawberry_Chunk_pic_3_-_Copy.JPG

06-22-2018_Strawberry_Chunk_pic_4_-_Copy.JPG

06-22-2018_Strawberry_Chunk_pic_5_-_Copy.JPG

06-22-2018_Strawberry_Chunk_pic_6_-_Copy.JPG

@Ilynnboy These are stacking nice eh? I was worried the deep chunk influence would do it's usual thing and try and dominate , and I see and smell it in the shortest plant. The flowers are very dense and the resins are greasy on the fingers on all 4 plants. The shortest plant(second picture) has a nice earthy sweetish aroma, much like the deep chunk but without the true kinda earthy/acrid deep chunk base odor. The two plants pictured together smell very similar, though flower structure is a little bit different. The plant on the left, though tall and stacking nice, has visible stem in the main cola that probably won't fill in. The flowers are much more spear shaped and this one has more of the strawberry type dominant odor I'm looking for. The one in the right in that pic of the two, has a super dense and very blocky main cola and has a sweet earthy not really deep chunk at all kinda smell..... we'll see.

The 4rth plant, which is the first pic of the bunch is very impressive in person. Again, very dense flowers and the main cola starts deep in the middle of the plant and has filled in right to the top. This one has the strawberry type smells much stronger than the other 3 and also has something else.... it's not pine, it's not fuel, it's not really chemmy...... hard to pin down.

bottom line is I am super stoked with what I am seeing. Yield on all 4 plants should be excellent considering the short veg time from seed (between 35 and 40 days) and looking like trimming will be a snap (defoliated @day 50-ish). Truth is in the smoke but I can already tell these should be good 😉

the downside is the one plant , the blocky one on the right in the picture of 2 plants, has been popping nanners for weeks. Now I have been checking religiously for signs of pollination throughout the room and especially the plants beside her and I don't see any. I know I should have killed her but whatever.... I want to see if she is sterile and there's only one way to find out. This also means no release for this line yet but I'll be hard at work creating something that pleases me in short order here.

• 2 weeks later...

well, it's harvest time @ 10 weeks for these 4 girls.

here is #2 , the shortest of the 4 but man o man did she pack on the flowers. Super dense, frosty goodness with a hint of strawberry to her. She smells real good , I'm real happy with these results.

I'll get pics of the other 3 as I trim em up but here is #2

Strawberry_Chunk__2_harvest_pic_1_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry_Chunk__2_harvest_pic_2_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry_Chunk__2_harvest_pic_3_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry_Chunk__2_harvest_pic_4_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry_Chunk__2_harvest_pic_5_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry_Chunk__2_harvest_pic_6_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry Chunk #1

straight up smells like the mum ..... but with a bit of hashy earthiness combined with the candy strawberry smell. I hope she tastes as good as she smells 🙂

Strawberry_Chunk__1_harvest_pic_1_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry_Chunk__1_harvest_pic_2_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry_Chunk__1_harvest_pic_4_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry_Chunk__1_harvest_pic_5_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry_Chunk__1_harvest_pic_6_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry_Chunk__1_harvest_pic_7_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry chunk #3

this the one that has been popping little yellow nanners for weeks now and no signs of seeds that i can find as of yet.... This one is the stickiest and has a real chemmy sweet kinda strawberry funk to it. Can't wait to get this into a rolling paper hehehe

Strawberry_Chunk__3_harvest_pic_1_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry_Chunk__3_harvest_pic_2_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry_Chunk__3_harvest_pic_3_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry_Chunk__3_harvest_pic_4_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry_Chunk__3_harvest_pic_5_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry_Chunk__3_harvest_pic_6_-_Copy.JPG

and lastly, #4 ....

this one has the biggest main cola of all of them and I think i could have let it go another week but she's chopped, trimmed and hanging now.

Strawberry_Chunk__4_harvest_pic_1_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry_Chunk__4_harvest_pic_2_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry_Chunk__4_harvest_pic_3_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry_Chunk__4_harvest_pic_4_-_Copy.JPG

Strawberry_Chunk__4_harvest_pic_5_-_Copy.JPG

Looks like you have your hands full...all the above to you! Your a good man for not consciously releasing instability. Cheers!

Beautiful flowers, full plants, details...great thread bro, thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, Kind024 said:

Looks like you have your hands full...all the above to you! Your a good man for not consciously releasing instability. Cheers!

Beautiful flowers, full plants, details...great thread bro, thanks for sharing.

Indoor is at an end for the summer and fall and now I can concentrate on greenhouse and some selective pollinations.

I aim to be back on this Strawberry Chunk project as soon as the snow starts flying again.... indoors of course 😄

I am seeing big chunky dense flowers and real nice structure over all. The nose is certainly carrying strawberry or strawberry-ish and they look pretty frosty too. Need to find the stable plants and press forward. Will smoke these up and further evaluate to see if I like the direction and press on. There's more plants waiting in the wind to work with so I can get this one right. I'd like to see about shaving flowering time down a hair but don't wanna get ahead of myself.

• 2 weeks later...

These girls are cured up enough to jar now and I'm starting to sample them.

All 4 have a sweet strawberryish smell when the jar is opened. On three of them the strawberry-ish flavor is all there, the 4rth almost reminds me of old school NL5 with a nuttier sweeter non fruity taste with an earthiness to it. The #3 plant, the one that popped nanners all the way thru flower is the most potent and probably has the nicest nose and flavor and try as I might I have not found one seed, not even a preemie.... The other really tasty one is that short squat chunky one. Super dense flowers and has a real nice hashy strawberry flavor.

All of them have an underlying flavor from the deep chunk side which is an earthy strong flavor that gives the smoke a bit of bite..... much like the old school afghani #1 (90's)

all in all I'm very happy with the results

These went the full 70 days and perhaps a couple could have gone longer.

All 4 had real nice structure and flower formation

Potency is good with one of the 4 really standing out. Indica type high but not couchy, great day time or loungin around weed for sure 😉

Haven't consumed enough to make note of any medicinal effects but will come back to that

Flavor and smells are going where I had hoped but still a little too "earthy" in some phenos..... but some folks like that and it lends to good hash flavor.....

Yields were very good for the veg time and pot size and bulbs on thier last run before being replaced with new lighting in fall.

plant #1 yield  61 grams 

Plant #2 yield  49 grams (short chunky one)

plant #3 yield 58 grams

plant #4 yield 64 grams

so roughly a 2oz average with a 5 to 6 week veg ...... gotta be happy with that!

I'll add to this thread as I work this line.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I been sampling the 4 Strawberry Chunk females now that they have spent some time curing. The Strawberry really came thru on 2 of them with regards to flavor.

Female #1 has a subtle sweet smell , nice flower density  but lacks any real memorable qualities to the high or flavor. She's good, and I'm happy to smoke her but she is "average".

The short chunky super dense flowered female #2 has a real nice combination of that earthy hashy deep chunk flavor and strawberry notes. The high on this one slows things right down to a nice mellow mood. Not really couchy but fairly narcotic and I found myself not wanting to have to think too hard about much LOL I enjoy this one quite a bit.

Female #3 , the one that popped male flowers throughout the flowering cycle.... but created zero pollen or the pollen was sterile. zero seeds found so far, not even preemies.

Now it really sucks that she shows the intersex trait because wow is she good smoke, probably my favorite of the four plants. Very powerful high with a good amount of sativa effect, very fun and enjoyable smoke and full on candy strawberry hashy goodness comes thru strong in the aroma and flavor.

Female #4 also carries an aroma and flavor similar to candy strawberry but not as powerful as #3. The high is also quite strong on this one and kinda gave me forhead sweats.

So all in all, there's some gems in these beans but the fuggen intersex traits need to be worked out of the line. Need to find another "#3" that is stable because she is exactly what I was hoping to create with this cross.

I'll take some nug shots when I got those jars out again.

Archived