Welcome, Guest!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community. Please start by completing an Introduction, thanks.

Usstoner

Decarboxylation.

Usstoner

I need some help..my oven quit working it'll be another week before I can get it fixed..so I was wondering what else I could use? I was thinking about the microwave are maybe fireing up the grill...are stove top? Any ideas..thanks.

3rdCoaster

Sous-Vide ........... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide  or maybe a Toaster oven to stay more conventional.

Vacuum seal your product to be decarbed,  and follow the graph to find your time /temp...looks like 212f for a bit over and hour would be a good choice.   Never tried this method but have seen it being promoted on the web.  I know it makes a bad ass steak.

decarboxylation-graph-1-11.thumb.jpg.fbb8949868b24fadc931c6e199dbb13a.jpg

Dolkoff Smokums

I have a toaster oven with a dehydrate option, it’s a preset at 210F for 60min...works very well. I’ve never vac sealed before tho, deff going to try next time to see the difference.

3rdCoaster
16 hours ago, Dolkoff Smokums said:

I have a toaster oven with a dehydrate option, it’s a preset at 210F for 60min...works very well. I’ve never vac sealed before tho, deff going to try next time to see the difference.

@Dolkoff Smokums    Just to be clear ....the vac sealing was only inteneded for the Sous-Vide method.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Nice Job 1

imiubu

Since this is in the "Sweet Treats" forum, I'm assuming you are decarbing to make goodies?

This info/ experiment is done with C'nut oil and kief on a hot plate with a thermometer and they are suggesting that we buy their equipment.  Beyond that, imho there is some solid info w/in the Comments section esp.  

http://www.catscientific.com/decarboxylating-cannabis/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Nice Job 1

boyd crowder

coconut oil or butter , water , weed , stock pot, 8 hrs on low simmer

i then strain the weed out with a collander and cheesecloth

from there i wash oil about 4-5 times till water runs clear

washing doesnt require hrs and hrs of cooling and reheating

oils float, i siphon off water from bottom of each wash, then add back same

bring to boil again, then repeat the process till done

sure i lose maybe 10-20 grams down the sink, but, its fast and cheap and works 

i can have useable canna oils in 10 hrs

ive found coco oil doesnt hold as much chlorophyl and comes out less green than butter its also more neutral in flavor

but the burn point is lower than butter fwiw

Bugman

a few years ago a buddy of mine started decarbing hes weed in thre oven  before he made the butter.

but if u r making butter/coco oil your already heating it.[decarbing it] right?

boyd crowder
6 minutes ago, Bugman said:

a few years ago a buddy of mine started decarbing hes weed in thre oven  before he made the butter.

yes exactly 

im considering a buchner funnel for this process...

Dolkoff Smokums
6 hours ago, 3rdCoaster said:

@Dolkoff Smokums    Just to be clear ....the vac sealing was only inteneded for the Sous-Vide method.

You bet, it’s somthing I’ve been wondering about and have wanted to try. I’m a big advocate for decarbing before using it to cook with, IMHO it makes a big difference. 

imiubu

Keep in mind that I've done little to no research on decarbing prior to again heating/ cooking with cannabis but I have to wonder... is numerous decarboxylating/ heating wise?  Are we destroying essential cannabinoids this way?  Are we optimizing or decreasing the benefits of the decarboxylation process?

IDK but... I can tell you this... never... I mean never have I consumed an medible that is equal to another.  Some knock me for a loop... others.. meh.

IMHO it makes sense to NOT decarb prior to cooking which would be the decarb.  I mean... you can only knock that A carboxyl off ONE time... right?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Nice Job 1

knucklehead bob
21 minutes ago, imiubu said:

IDK but... I can tell you this... never... I mean never have I consumed an medible that is equal to another.  Some knock me for a loop... others.. meh.

I envy you people that get any affect at all . The only thing I have ever gotten out of an edible was angry taste buds . . . B|

Edited by knucklehead bob

Dolkoff Smokums
2 hours ago, imiubu said:

Keep in mind that I've done little to no research on decarbing prior to again heating/ cooking with cannabis but I have to wonder... is numerous decarboxylating/ heating wise?  Are we destroying essential cannabinoids this way?  Are we optimizing or decreasing the benefits of the decarboxylation process?

IMHO it makes sense to NOT decarb prior to cooking which would be the decarb.  I mean... you can only knock that A carboxyl off ONE time... right?

I’ve always wondered this too? My line of thinking on it was that I know I’m getting all the THCa to a temp of 210f when I decarb it, I don’t really know the internal temps of what I’m cooking it in to and if it’s reaching the temps I need and for long enough time. 

imiubu
13 minutes ago, Dolkoff Smokums said:

I’ve always wondered this too? My line of thinking on it was that I know I’m getting all the THCa to a temp of 210f when I decarb it, I don’t really know the internal temps of what I’m cooking it in to and if it’s reaching the temps I need and for long enough time. 

Perhaps that is why the piece I posted states %70 decarboxylation prior to infusion?  How long is long enough?  I mean, wouldn't the A carboxylic immediately be altered when the correct temperature is reached? Wouldn't a thermometer give internal temps?  I've heard of baking longer at lower temps also.  Not sure how that works out either.  The more I learn, I realize the less I know  ;)

Dolkoff Smokums
1 hour ago, imiubu said:

Perhaps that is why the piece I posted states %70 decarboxylation prior to infusion?  How long is long enough?  I mean, wouldn't the A carboxylic immediately be altered when the correct temperature is reached? Wouldn't a thermometer give internal temps?  I've heard of baking longer at lower temps also.  Not sure how that works out either.  The more I learn, I realize the less I know  ;)

Me too hahaha 😁

Edited by Dolkoff Smokums

3rdCoaster

Some more info on Sous-Vide decarboxylation with some recipe ideas and a video.   

https://skillet.lifehacker.com/how-to-sous-vide-your-own-medical-marijuana-edibles-1772309487

I like the idea of this method for its slow and low approach...it makes for a larger window of just right   And if you have ever decarbed flower in your oven and had to be even slightly concerned about the smell  this method would take care of that..

Ive been tinkering with bho dissolved in coconut oil in a fondue pot/oil bath and then watching the bubbles to tell where i am in the process.   Like what @imiubu had posted earlier.  Its working well so far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Nice Job 1

Bugman
22 hours ago, knucklehead bob said:

I envy you people that get any affect at all . The only thing I have ever gotten out of an edible was angry taste buds . . . B|

Thats what  @dansbuds use to say till i sent hem some cookies & brownes, Now he says watch out for Bugs medibles LMFAO

Ilynnboy

Ya Ihavent embraced edibles either.

Kinda make me feel drunk.

Been itching to try some caramels tho.

Dog Star

Cob your buds if there is rest some humidity in them,you can put buds in zip lock baggie and then press with your hand tight to made them

more compact,then take sticky electric tape and roll over baggie untill you cover hole baggie with electric sticky tape..

then take some good and strong rope,roll over your cobs and press strong to constrict her stronger and to press weed with mightier

force you posses and then use owen on 70 C for about few hours to activate a process of bacteria decomposition..

after few hours take cob out,unwind rope and then again rewind him back with using a force to constrict im hard..

then after this take cob on few hours more of sweating in this funny "sausages",next is to live cobs on a place that have

atleast 45 C to be heated for next two weeks and to hole process finish perfectly rippening...

after two weeks take weed material out of cobs and aloud that he dry properly... you can smoke it,eat it or whatever..

cobs are true eye opener if we talk weed processing..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Nice Job 2

Usstoner
On 1/30/2018 at 12:34 PM, Bugman said:

That's what I was thinking..i cook mine for several hours in the crock pot..so I figured it was happing while it was heating up...mine are usually pretty damn strong...

dawn patrol
5 hours ago, Usstoner said:

That's what I was thinking..i cook mine for several hours in the crock pot..so I figured it was happing while it was heating up...mine are usually pretty damn strong...

Your material is decarbing during all that time, but depending on what you are making, decarbing material in the oven before adding to whatever process you are doing can save you some time.

For trim and larf, I decarb on large cookie sheets for 30-40 minutes then into the freezer for 24 hours then process with bubble bags and dry ice.  I now have a nice pile of decarbed hash that can be added to anything.

Best of all, I feel I have a much better handle on dosage as I can weigh the hash out by the gram instead of just guessing at how much effect I'm going to get from a pound of trim.

Salve takes just enough time to mix all ingredients and melt the wax instead of hours and hours waiting for the plant material to cook down and then having to press it to get the oil out.

Tinctures take no time at all

Butters or oils for edibles take just enough time to dissolve the hash in the fat, no extended cooking times needed.

It's become my first step in making non smokable medicines.

Edited by dawn patrol

Aspen

Decarb everything you cook with..... I like the container i got at wacky willy's in canada.... the container has a silicone gasket... it does a much better job on flower than an open decarb... Keeps all the terps and flavors that would be lost to the air in an open style decarb.... Its not large but it works fine if used batch by batch.... here is a link to the Decarb Can....

http://www.wackywillysweb.com/proddetail.php?prod=Decarboxylation4pc

Aspen

Please dont heat things made of MYLAR or plastic.... please.... Get a stainless steel canister If you feel the need to vac seal first use a mason jar... They have mason jar vac adapters.... NO PLASTIC OR MYLAR....

Aspen
On 1/30/2018 at 1:48 PM, imiubu said:

You are correct.... If you will be baking in the oven past the time and temps where you like your decarb  there is no need to decarb.... At the very least  you are simply burning off material TERPS Cannabinoids once lost there just gone.... I made two batches of Cookies with some of my gg4 to test that theory.... the decarbed ones were good two was a plenty...  Good head high relaxed... great for daytime things ya know.... the other batch was amazing.... I grabbed two on the way out the door before a Dive Appointment on a saturday morning.... I remember going to the bank in town before heading to the docks... And i got fucking lost on the way to the Marina.... lol until a second ago Zoey was the only person who knew about that.... had to gps my way to the boat slip i pay rent on every month... Now in all honesty the second batch was slightly larger in size not the batch size the size of the cookies I used a different cookie cutter ... the first batch made 30 cookies he second batch made 26....but thats not nearly enough to make up for the effects.... for those i took out 1/4 cup of flower and added 1/4 cup of canna flower..... Super dry buds in the chilled food processor i didn't write down how much bud it took to make the canna Flower.... and cant remember...

Also when doing this... cookies.... I like to double or triple the batch size Ill cut the cookies out and layer them on a sheet pan that fits inside a vacuum sealer bag then lay down parchment layer of cookies, parchment layer of cookies then reserve what you want to bake and vac seal and freeze the rest... they go a long way like that and keeps me out of the kitchen so much....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Nice Job 1

shaggyballs

@Aspen

So let me get this straight the second batch was not decabed before the baking process?

And that batch was noticeably better too?

Kind of counter-intuitive it would seem, but psychoactivity is the key and in this case I would go with what you felt and if you can reproduce the experiment then it would be fact.

Could you share cooking time and temp with up please?

Does anyone use lectithin?

That is supposed to be the secret to edibles.

From what I am told it works to emulsify the fats/oils and helps with absorbtion into the body, coconut oil works in a manner to break the blood/brain barrier.

Nutrients/oils that are bound up with phospholipids are more bioavailable to the body and they are easier for the body to use and metabolize.

I really like the concept of the decarb can with a good seal like that, the divider is a plus too.

They come in a few sizes thats very cool too, small ones are cheap, so I may have to get one.

Did anyone see this:

A calulator for making edibles.

https://jeffthe420chefcalculator.com

If you have not checked this site out give it a look!

This site has tons of good info.

http://www.badkatscannapharm.com/photo-tutorials

Girl Power

dkat.png.d64039a0a301cfaa620a09af328c7b22.png

Edited by shaggyballs

Reply to this topic